06-01-2018 05:31 PM
74 123
tools
    No big deal.

First, Edge continues to improve and I use it more and more. For my use, I don't see any disadvantages anymore to using it over Chrome or Internet Explorer only advantages actually.

Second, how many people actually use the Mail app? This is a minor link change and not up to par with the hyperbole used by Tom Warren or this post's title.
    That's nice for you, but this is about the principle. It doesn't matter how much Edge improves, most people decide to not use it and that's it. It's not their fault that MS (again) pushed out garbage as final product at W10 release and is still very slow in making edge as good as other browsers.
    Having ads for edge all over the OS is one thing, but this is not OK. And typical MS too with their "we're making a dumb decision that no one wanted and now we need a million upvotes in the feedback app to revert it"

We're not on iOS people. Stop letting MS just do what they want. They definitely don't know what's good for us. Edge has no advantage over other browsers and with such moves its pretty clear MS has no clue how to beat Chrome. Not the users problem though.

I agree. Right or wrong they build applications to work together, that is why they want you to use them. It only makes sense.
    I can certainly use another browser on my iPhone if I choose, but when following a link it will be Safari.
    Unless you jailbreak of course. That opens up a multitude of options.
    And this is the direction you want windows to go? All closed up until it needs a Jailbreak too?
    azilgath likes this.
    03-26-2018 01:47 AM
    I don't care as long as the behavior can be changed (even via registry edits).
    Can it be changed, though, is the question. I stopped using Microsoft's mail software offerings when they broke Windows Live Mail's ability to connect to Hotmail through DeltaSync. Now I just use the web interface (though it has its own bugs), and Thunderbird as an occassional offline backup.
    03-26-2018 04:24 AM
    I miss Netscape --

(ducking and running)
    Toby Simpson likes this.
    03-26-2018 07:43 AM
    I miss Netscape --

(ducking and running)
    Like I miss a staph infection.
    03-26-2018 07:51 AM
    This may be a test case or deliberate sacrificial lamb. If Apple can do it and Google can do it why can't Microsoft? If MS gets hauled into court over one MS software title linking to another MS software title to carryout a task you can bet Apple and Google will be used in their defense.
    03-26-2018 08:31 AM
    Forcing Edge? No. Forcing the rendering Engine behind edge? Maybe on Win10s. Would prevent lot of security gaps in Chrome and Firefox used by "Computer Experts", whose computers i need to fix because i'm related to them.
    03-26-2018 09:09 AM
    Um... are you blaming your IT blocking the MS store and not the Chrome Store on Microsoft... Really?
    03-26-2018 09:26 AM
    First Microsoft no longer has a monopoly with Windows on any level (server, client, mobile, console, etc.). So, if you want to stop Microsoft from doing these things, it will either come from people choosing not to use Windows or with new laws. Those laws would effect Android and iOS as well. Microsoft can require all browsers to use the rendering engine of its choice if it wanted to (including win32 programs like Chrome), it jus will get a backlash from people for doing so. However Apple in particular likes to do this more than Microsoft to protect their walled garden. Google does it also. So, Microsoft is just doing what others are doing. There probably isn't anything legally wrong with Microsoft requiring Edge be the default browser any more.
    EssThree likes this.
    03-26-2018 09:33 AM
    That's nice for you, but this is about the principle. It doesn't matter how much Edge improves, most people decide to not use it and that's it. It's not their fault that MS (again) pushed out garbage as final product at W10 release and is still very slow in making edge as good as other browsers.
    Having ads for edge all over the OS is one thing, but this is not OK. And typical MS too with their "we're making a dumb decision that no one wanted and now we need a million upvotes in the feedback app to revert it"

We're not on iOS people. Stop letting MS just do what they want. They definitely don't know what's good for us. Edge has no advantage over other browsers and with such moves its pretty clear MS has no clue how to beat Chrome. Not the users problem though.

And this is the direction you want windows to go? All closed up until it needs a Jailbreak too?
    Right, people choose not to use it - and they can choose not to use the Mail app either. Problem solved.

Also, we're talking one app... in beta testing, hardly forcing anything. How many people on that ring actually use the Mail app probably literally on only a few hundred people.

However, you misspoke. Edge does have some advantages over other browsers. Tests have shown it perform faster and use less battery.
    03-26-2018 10:50 AM
    I use Edge, I don't use the mail app. So this really doesn't bother me at all personally. but practically, I don't like it when anyone is forced into anything.
    03-26-2018 10:54 AM
    Old computer without pen and not working mouse scroll, no reason for me.
    03-26-2018 11:07 AM
    Fanboys really bending over backwards to justify this. Seem to be conveniently forgetting that this is full Windows not WP or W10M. Comparing to ios and android just shows your bias or inability to comprehend the difference between the OS's. Good luck to Microsoft doing this and overriding people's default browser setting, always taking the lazy way out rather than actually making their products better.

Sent from mTalk
    azilgath likes this.
    03-26-2018 11:49 AM
    Not a problem if Edge is set as the default browser for links from MS Mail, but there should be an option to change it in settings. Firefox for me is better for security and privacy.
    03-26-2018 12:06 PM
    It might bother you when Microsoft chucks in the towel on Edge like they did with windows mobile and Groove music. No matter how good it gets I don't want to be recreating my bookmarks and passwords in another browser in 6 months time!
    azilgath likes this.
    03-26-2018 12:10 PM
    It will just give users more reasons to stop using Microsoft products and services.

Edge is a steaming pile of poop. Even as a Microsoft Developer I hate it and only use it when forced to or for testing compatibility.
    azilgath likes this.
    03-26-2018 12:18 PM
    I use Edge but if I didn't I would find this very annoying. My main complaint is that the bookmark manager is difficult to use. I prefer Bookmark OS
    03-26-2018 12:49 PM
    This is nothing new at all. On iOS, Mail apps launch Safari. Android, Mail apps launch Chrome.
    I'm not condoning the behavior, but this has been the norm for quite some time in both mobile/smartphone and desktop process.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    03-26-2018 01:37 PM
    I don't think people would mind as much if Edge was at least usable. I've been trying real hard to use it now that I got a dell 2in1. Edge is easier to use once in tablet mode, but i randomly have problems with youtube. I go to firefox, and no issues. It's frustrating and if MS is going to go this way, they really need to put in some effort to overhaul Edge.
    azilgath and EssThree like this.
    03-26-2018 06:32 PM
    1.jpg

How to get rid of this? This is really annoying. Also, it shows Microsoft & Google are not very different.
    04-06-2018 04:43 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	139003

How to get rid of this? This is really annoying. Also, it shows Microsoft & Google are not very different.
    Don't think you can.

Might be weird, but ever since I got rid of Google services I haven't seen an ad for Chrome ever. (Half-joking)
    04-17-2018 05:35 PM
    Don't think you can.

Might be weird, but ever since I got rid of Google services I haven't seen an ad for Chrome ever. (Half-joking)
    So the solution as per you is to stop using Windows 10? :P
    04-18-2018 10:42 AM
    So the solution as per you is to stop using Windows 10? :P
    That's not what he said but if it helps any, I get this same pop-up on Firefox and Safari (desktop). It's not limited to Edge but it's every bit as irritating.
    Last edited by fatclue_98; 04-18-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Forgot how to spell
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    04-18-2018 03:47 PM
    Well if I use Edge I get a message Chrome is a better browser and if I use Chrome i get a message that Edge is better.
    05-04-2018 02:29 PM
    I use Edge because it is the browser that gives me the longest battery life on my laptop.
    06-01-2018 05:31 PM
74 123