MS trying to shove Edge down peoples' throats

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
There can only be one reason for this, and everyone here knows what it is.

Edge is being used by virtually no one. It is currently #9 on the worldwide browser stats, behind even IE at #6 . IE and Edge COMBINED are less than 5%. Considering MS used to own the internet, that has to hurt badly.

Worse, Edge is dropping. It peaked around October 2017 at 2.22 % and is currently at 1.86%.

I would say MS is desperately trying to get those stats up.

To be fair, most browsers are dropping. Only #1 Chrome use is steadily growing at 57%. Everyone else - #2 Safari 14%, #3 UC Browser (whatever that is) 8%, #4 Firefox 6%, #5 Opera 4%, #6 IE 3% - is slowly dropping and/or barely holding steady. The others, from #10 on down, are in the sub 1% range.

However, I fully expect there to be enough backlash from this experiment, that it will not be permanent. Then again, MS has no qualms about alienating its users, so who knows?

drjekel_mrhyde

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
That's going to make me stop using it all together. i uses it every now and then, but this will force me to stop. Last time I checked this is still a PERSONAL COMPUTER

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what people are complaining about when it comes to Edge. I avoided Edge when it was in its infancy because it really DID suck! However, for the past 6-12 months, it has been rock solid. I only use it and I'm a picky *******. :p

Mike Semblance

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
It's only links from the mail app! People who use third party browsers, can still use them 24/7 right?

While I have no use for third party browsers, many boomers still use them, like my granddad.

NordVPN handles all my ad blocking, like a boss.

Last edited:

DCTonkaTruck

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
In general, I don't like the idea that something can't be changed. To me, that's what is annoying about companies that make it 'just work' by essentially limiting choice and abandoning older systems. On the other hand, I do think that not being as aggressive about forcing obsolescence and providing a relatively open platform has held Microsoft back and given a foothold to their competitors. In the end, I think I am OK with MSFT setting it up that their free, first-party apps can be a closed ecosystem as long as they make a point that you can still install any other application and control the other settings.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Why don't they try the old fashioned approach, actually making a BETTER product rather than using subterfuge and coercion?

Sent from mTalk

Well, performance wise (speed, battery) it put scores other browsers. So it's an improvement on IE already. For the average user it's a better option, slowly its improving to address power user needs but obviously it will never win over fan boys and haters.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Apple forces iOS to open Safari when clicking links from their mail app. However, I don't think Microsoft should do this. Edge still is not there yet. I have issues with it freezing at work. Might be the configuration, but I am running 1709 with a new laptop. My company just moved to Chrome as the default. I have tried not to use Chrome, but I use LastPass and the Extension just works better in Chrome. Plus at work, I can't even install the Extension in Edge since installs from the Store are blocked, but we can install Extensions in Chrome. Sad state of affairs. Microsoft blew it really.

Your company's settings are likely the reason for Edge freezing. Whenever I'm connected to my company's particular VPN it freezes.

jayanayana

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
No big deal.

First, Edge continues to improve and I use it more and more. For my use, I don't see any disadvantages anymore to using it over Chrome or Internet Explorer only advantages actually.

Second, how many people actually use the Mail app? This is a minor link change and not up to par with the hyperbole used by Tom Warren or this post's title.

YES...edge is far better than other browsers in terms of battery consumption and all.
And i really don't know understand one thing...y stupid people say if Microsoft does something and they cry its forcing on users.
ans when apple do it they keep their mouth **** because even the mail app in iphone only opens with Safari

Stahlreck

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
No big deal.

First, Edge continues to improve and I use it more and more. For my use, I don't see any disadvantages anymore to using it over Chrome or Internet Explorer only advantages actually.

Second, how many people actually use the Mail app? This is a minor link change and not up to par with the hyperbole used by Tom Warren or this post's title.

That's nice for you, but this is about the principle. It doesn't matter how much Edge improves, most people decide to not use it and that's it. It's not their fault that MS (again) pushed out garbage as final product at W10 release and is still very slow in making edge as good as other browsers.
Having ads for edge all over the OS is one thing, but this is not OK. And typical MS too with their "we're making a dumb decision that no one wanted and now we need a million upvotes in the feedback app to revert it"

We're not on iOS people. Stop letting MS just do what they want. They definitely don't know what's good for us. Edge has no advantage over other browsers and with such moves its pretty clear MS has no clue how to beat Chrome. Not the users problem though.

I agree. Right or wrong they build applications to work together, that is why they want you to use them. It only makes sense.
I can certainly use another browser on my iPhone if I choose, but when following a link it will be Safari.
Unless you jailbreak of course. That opens up a multitude of options.

And this is the direction you want windows to go? All closed up until it needs a Jailbreak too?

mmortal03

Mar 25, 2018
Visit site
I don't care as long as the behavior can be changed (even via registry edits).

Can it be changed, though, is the question. I stopped using Microsoft's mail software offerings when they broke Windows Live Mail's ability to connect to Hotmail through DeltaSync. Now I just use the web interface (though it has its own bugs), and Thunderbird as an occassional offline backup.

GreyFox7

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
This may be a test case or deliberate sacrificial lamb. If Apple can do it and Google can do it why can't Microsoft? If MS gets hauled into court over one MS software title linking to another MS software title to carryout a task you can bet Apple and Google will be used in their defense.

Urbautz

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Forcing Edge? No. Forcing the rendering Engine behind edge? Maybe on Win10s. Would prevent lot of security gaps in Chrome and Firefox used by "Computer Experts", whose computers i need to fix because i'm related to them.

rmark66

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
First Microsoft no longer has a monopoly with Windows on any level (server, client, mobile, console, etc.). So, if you want to stop Microsoft from doing these things, it will either come from people choosing not to use Windows or with new laws. Those laws would effect Android and iOS as well. Microsoft can require all browsers to use the rendering engine of its choice if it wanted to (including win32 programs like Chrome), it jus will get a backlash from people for doing so. However Apple in particular likes to do this more than Microsoft to protect their walled garden. Google does it also. So, Microsoft is just doing what others are doing. There probably isn't anything legally wrong with Microsoft requiring Edge be the default browser any more.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
That's nice for you, but this is about the principle. It doesn't matter how much Edge improves, most people decide to not use it and that's it. It's not their fault that MS (again) pushed out garbage as final product at W10 release and is still very slow in making edge as good as other browsers.
Having ads for edge all over the OS is one thing, but this is not OK. And typical MS too with their "we're making a dumb decision that no one wanted and now we need a million upvotes in the feedback app to revert it"

We're not on iOS people. Stop letting MS just do what they want. They definitely don't know what's good for us. Edge has no advantage over other browsers and with such moves its pretty clear MS has no clue how to beat Chrome. Not the users problem though.

And this is the direction you want windows to go? All closed up until it needs a Jailbreak too?

Right, people choose not to use it - and they can choose not to use the Mail app either. Problem solved.

Also, we're talking one app... in beta testing, hardly forcing anything. How many people on that ring actually use the Mail app probably literally on only a few hundred people.

However, you misspoke. Edge does have some advantages over other browsers. Tests have shown it perform faster and use less battery.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I use Edge, I don't use the mail app. So this really doesn't bother me at all personally. but practically, I don't like it when anyone is forced into anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion