MS trying to shove Edge down peoples' throats

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
No big deal.

First, Edge continues to improve and I use it more and more. For my use, I don't see any disadvantages anymore to using it over Chrome or Internet Explorer only advantages actually.

Second, how many people actually use the Mail app? This is a minor link change and not up to par with the hyperbole used by Tom Warren or this post's title.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't like this, but ultimately don't use either.
I use Firefox on desktop, Samsung Browser on Android and Safari on my iPad and MacBook. If I can't get an ad blocker then I don't use it. The one for Edge on PC is not very consistent.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I use Firefox on desktop, Samsung Browser on Android and Safari on my iPad and MacBook. If I can't get an ad blocker then I don't use it. The one for Edge on PC is not very consistent.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

There is certainly more than one ad block extension available for Edge. Maybe you tried the wrong one for your liking.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Don't have time waiting on Microsoft to get it right so will continue using Firefox on my desktops, Samsung Browser Droid, and either Firefox or Safari iOS/Mac. Just have to look at W10M and see their pathetic attempts with Edge and it becomes all too clear, of course the OS itself ain't helping none either. Microsoft does what Microsoft does and they'll continue to do so.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Why don't they try the old fashioned approach, actually making a BETTER product rather than using subterfuge and coercion?

Sent from mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
They have to anyway. The one-OS-fits-all was a colossal failure - it was a novel idea but ultimately flawed from the start.

They really do need a completely new direction.
I know, I’ll hear people say Windows will live on forever because so many businesses run on it. It also keeps lots of IT people busy.
As a consumer, I just can’t deal with them any more.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
They really do need a completely new direction.
I know, I’ll hear people say Windows will live on forever because so many businesses run on it. It also keeps lots of IT people busy.
As a consumer, I just can’t deal with them any more.

I'm in the same boat. Sick of dealing with Microsoft's ways on the consumer end because the old phrase "fix and repair daily" has become a regular ritual in my my household, and it's getting worse day-by-day. Going by our experiences in the past couple of years all my other non-Microsoft devices/products are making life relatively a breeze then MS shows up and turns it upside-down. IMHO they (MS) have become a real joke in the consumer space and me thinks it's really time to move on.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Details, details. I don't use the Windows email app like many others....That is what this applies to. You can open links like you want to from Outlook or Word.
I didn't like Edge from first use. Don't know if they have fixed it yet, haven't tried.
Main complaint, is opening new tabs with focus from a mouse wheel click.
Even with the MS mouse software, try to write a micro for Ctrl + Shift + click to open a new tab.
They have to make Edge useable.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
No big deal. Google is trying to shove Chrome down people's throat whenever we open Google sites like YouTube or Gmail on browsers other than Chrome through messages that prompts us to switch to Chrome. Don't get me started on things they are doing on Android.

MatthewR413

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
No big deal. Google is trying to shove Chrome down people's throat whenever we open Google sites like YouTube or Gmail on browsers other than Chrome through messages that prompts us to switch to Chrome. Don't get me started on things they are doing on Android.

I noticed this way more so after the update to 8.0. Crazy people don't give Google the same crap they give MS. I can see the point that at least chrome is the better browser. I would want to use Edge if if it were just better. FireFox is just so much better to use. I say this over and over, even if Edge works 90% of the time, FF works 100% of the time. I haven't had any problem with quantum. I can see the problem if Set really starts to take off and why they would want people to stay in Edge, but in Googles case, they're not forcing people in to Chrome... People WANT to use chrome.

Anyway, people always find ways around it. I use SearchWithMyBrowser and it works like a charm.

t8ntlikly

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't necessarily like it, but at it doesn't bother me as I use Edge anyway, even on my Fire Andoroidized Tablet. Just never have liked Google. Also going along with another poster, Edge has drastically improved over the last few years. Yes, it has a ways to go and I still get pissed on occasion but overall it works for me. Hey I bet if Google did the same thing no one would utter a word !

toph36

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
No big deal.

First, Edge continues to improve and I use it more and more. For my use, I don't see any disadvantages anymore to using it over Chrome or Internet Explorer only advantages actually.

Second, how many people actually use the Mail app? This is a minor link change and not up to par with the hyperbole used by Tom Warren or this post's title.

Apple forces iOS to open Safari when clicking links from their mail app. However, I don't think Microsoft should do this. Edge still is not there yet. I have issues with it freezing at work. Might be the configuration, but I am running 1709 with a new laptop. My company just moved to Chrome as the default. I have tried not to use Chrome, but I use LastPass and the Extension just works better in Chrome. Plus at work, I can't even install the Extension in Edge since installs from the Store are blocked, but we can install Extensions in Chrome. Sad state of affairs. Microsoft blew it really.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12