StrangeEdge or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Firefox

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Okay, maybe the title of this thread was a little out there. :cool:

Anyway, here are the reasons why I won't use Edge just yet.

• Can't import history from any browser except Internet Explorer: this was the deal-breaker for the April 2018 update. It's 2018, and Edge still prioritizes IE (which hasn't been updated in ages). I'm sure that there is a backhanded way to fix this (e.g. some way to export Firefox history to IE, then from IE to Edge), but I have not found it yet.
  • EFF has not officially released a HTTPS Everywhere and/or Privacy Badger extension for Edge. The only available versions are unofficial ports/forks that users have created on GitHub.
  • Edge does not receive updates as frequently as other browsers. Even though security updates are released through Windows Update, browsers like Firefox are updated in a more frequent basis.
  • Edge advertises itself as the privacy-oriented browser, but for the reasons listed above, and the fact that enabled extensions during InPrivate browsing were only added in the April 2018 update makes me skeptical.
  • I understand that Edge on Android is a different product, but the fact that it does not have ad blocker or browser extension capabilities underscores Edge's privacy-oriented claims. Ad blockers are essential, most of all on an OS as notorious for being hacked as Android.

If it weren't for these shortcomings, I would use Edge right now. The fluent design interface and the ability to sync across devices is very tempting, but in my opinion, these new features do not outweigh the downsides. I will not say that these points I made are flaws of Edge; they are more like inconveniences. They may not matter to you. In the opinion of a security-conscious user like myself, they seem to indicate that Edge is not yet ready to tackle browser security.

What causes you to skip Edge for the time being?

Last edited:

MosaicMarch

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
Agree with all you wrote. And even more, sync with other devices work better with other browsers. When I was using L950 and Win10 it was a constant hassle. As much as I wanted to love Win10 and all this UWP apps, it just plain and simple didn't provide. I'm using Android now, Win 7 if needed, and Linux. Whole this MS policy just make me learn that I should not be emotional about tech products. I use what suits me best in personal and business environment. And Win10 and UWP just isn't good for me in any way. I just hate what Outlook become, Office, Visual Studio, Windows... After 20 years of Windows development I just moved on to where other developers (and money) are. Is it better? Is it the right way? I don't know but it is kinda sad to see Win7 set up bar everybody is still trying to catch. And Win10 and all UWP ecosystem is... Different. It is not upgrade, it is just different. And probably not different in right way as more and more people and developers are turning away from Win10, Edge...

mschief148

May 21, 2018
Visit site
I can't use it because lacks of extensions too. But for some reason on my laptop always goes slow at loading pages and slows down too if I keep a lot of tabs open and same for Firefox (I mean loading pages). Chrome always load faster, it has all the extensions that I need. The only thing I miss from Edge is the save tabs feature and the thumbnail preview of each tab. In every update I give it a shot but I just simply can't stick with it. FYI I had an Asus i5 sixth gen laptop so idk why edge and firefox go slow.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
history? favorite?
Sketch.png

I switch to Edge cause... Nexus 5x has a small RAM and Chrome (and Inbox) on Android is bad at restoring after it got GCed. So I switched to Outlook and Edge.
* The other reason is because Chrome kills notebook battery faster than Edge when I go unplugged. One day I tried desktop Edge and it works fine so I stayed, then I dropped Android Chrome after that. I quite like the "tabs you've set aside" feature tho.

I never use other people's extensions, I write my own. To stop vid auto play, do my automations, hide ads, enhancements, go mouse-free (not just web, I hack applications too). I don't feel comfortable letting others tamper with my system.

I don't install unnecessary win32s (except big name applications e.g. Adobe, 3dsMax, VisualStudio, Unreal, Havok, etc), I'd go for UWP, web than Portable App. And I don't visit dodgy sites, store almost nothing locally, fully embrace cloud, I think my system is always in good condition.

Edge actually works fine so far on my Alienwares and Surfaces.

Last edited:

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Edge for Windows is just slower than Firefox and that's why I won't change. Having said that if Always connected PCs become a thing and end up buying one (hate iPads and Samsung tablets with a passion. Android tablets from any other brand just suck) I won't hate it as much. Edge as a browser is decent.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
history? favorite?
View attachment 139231

I switch to Edge cause... Nexus 5x has a small RAM and Chrome (and Inbox) on Android is bad at restoring after it got GCed. So I switched to Outlook and Edge.
* The other reason is because Chrome kills notebook battery faster than Edge when I go unplugged. One day I tried desktop Edge and it works fine so I stayed, then I dropped Android Chrome after that. I quite like the "tabs you've set aside" feature tho.

I never use other people's extensions, I write my own. To stop vid auto play, do my automations, hide ads, enhancements, go mouse-free (not just web, I hack applications too). I don't feel comfortable letting others tamper with my system.

I don't install unnecessary win32 (except big name applications e.g. Adobe, 3dsMax, VisualStudio, Unreal, Havok, etc) and I don't visit dodgy sites, fully embrace cloud, I think my system is always in good condition.

Edge actually works fine so far on my Alienwares and Surfaces.

Might as well do it for Edge because I don't like ad blockers making my browser slower for no reason.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I have no need for extensions, I don't obsess over history. I just need the browser to do ONE THING very well, and that's browse. Period. I try to use Edge by default, but honestly there are some websites that just don't render very well (or quickly) in Edge (WindowsCentral is one), so that's when I revert to IE11. I don't care for Firefox and there's no universe where I use Chrome.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't use it because it freezes up all the time on both of my machines. The ancient desktop I understand, but our laptop is only a year old, and it's still an issue. They need to make it separate from the OS, it's just dumb not to be able to update it any time there is a bug.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
If Edge for Android and Microsoft Launcher let us change the web search so we could choose Duckduckgo, I would use them but alas.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

• Can't import history from any browser except Internet Explorer: this was the deal-breaker for the April 2018 update. It's 2018, and Edge still prioritizes IE (which hasn't been updated in ages). I'm sure that there is a backhanded way to fix this (e.g. some way to export Firefox history to IE, then from IE to Edge), but I have not found it yet.
  • EFF has not officially released a HTTPS Everywhere and/or Privacy Badger extension for Edge. The only available versions are unofficial ports/forks that users have created on GitHub.
  • Edge does not receive updates as frequently as other browsers. Even though security updates are released through Windows Update, browsers like Firefox are updated in a more frequent basis.
  • Edge advertises itself as the privacy-oriented browser, but for the reasons listed above, and the fact that enabled extensions during InPrivate browsing were only added in the April 2018 update makes me skeptical.
  • I understand that Edge on Android is a different product, but the fact that it does not have ad blocker or browser extension capabilities underscores Edge's privacy-oriented claims. Ad blockers are essential, most of all on an OS as notorious for being hacked as Android.

If it weren't for these shortcomings, I would use Edge right now. The fluent design interface and the ability to sync across devices is very tempting, but in my opinion, these new features do not outweigh the downsides. I will not say that these points I made are flaws of Edge; they are more like inconveniences. They may not matter to you. In the opinion of a security-conscious user like myself, they seem to indicate that Edge is not yet ready to tackle browser security.

There is no feature I miss in Edge, I use Chrome only because Edge is broken.

henilp89

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Im right there with this guy.. I personally gave edge two chances in past two years and it failed miserably. Performance issues are my number 1 reason why I cant use the edge browser. Its so slow man even with my i7 laptop. Chrome is the best in my opinion.

Darren Deighton

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Everyone always raves about extensions especially for Chrome! But half the extensions on the Chrome are old, out of date or just don't work. Any browser once you get too many extensions will start to slow down.
Ms Edge works well for me but I think it's a resource hog and uses up a lot of processing power that's why some machines won't cope it well.
I would like to see the right click menu improved on Edge. But I like the Facebook notifications especially as the store app is years behind and uses the notification centre something that Chrome can't integrate with.
Firefox quatomm and opera very good. I have also used Vivaldi but it doesn't have a mobile offering yet.
Edge & Firefox do have nice in built sharing buttons.

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Ironically I don't bother with Edge because I am an "enterprise" user and my company is still on Windows 7. Not being able to share my bookmarks/favorites across home (Win10) and work (Win7) is a deal breaker. So much for Microsoft concentrating on the enterprise.

Wayne Luke

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Tried Edge some the 2018 April release. Can't use it. It is a big hit on productivity compared to Chrome or Firefox. The final straw? The lack of being able to right click on an unformatted URL and go directly to that URL in a new tab.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Edge has become my main browser, but I also still use Firefox and Opera. Now that Edge has all the Extensions I need, never crashes, and can happily run with 50 tabs open, I find it the best and most robust overall browser for my use.

However, I do have a couple of issues with it:

1. Printing options are severely limited. There is still no way to print background images, which is often essential to being able to read the printout. I generally go to Opera when I need to print.

2. Some websites don't render correctly on Edge. It's very rare now, but really annoying when it happens. I randomly use Opera or Firefox in those cases.

ucyimDa_Ruler

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
As a web developer the only thing stopping me is IE automatically loads scripts when debugging where as other browsers you must manually hook into scripts.

Other browsers encourage debugging in the browsers but I prefer debugging in Visual Studio. They allow Edge and other browsers to "check" this option by default then I can fully transition away from IE.

That and tracking protection.

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I loathed Edge for a long time, come to find out it was because of my OS having been updated for years one update on top of another. I finally performed a "clean install" of my PC. Edge works quite well and I have zero issues. Have the extensions I need as well.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I used it when Win10 launched. It was fine. Loved it more than Chrome, definitely. Then for some reason it started to perform bad all of a sudden, so I stopped for a bit and tried out FF Quantum (which is ... ok, though that's better than I expected). I wanted to get back to it after I get 1803, but I can't turn off stupid spellcheck and autocorrection in Edge, and since my native language isn't english, it's in my way 99% of the time. I literally can't turn it off, idk if it's some bug or whatever, but I can't tolerate red lines everywhere all the time, and my i's always being corrected into I's. As for the rest, it works well, IDC about any extension other than Adblock, I'm not in preschool.

So I actually suggest using it. Looks nice, works nice (mostly, unless you experience some weird issue like me), supports most if not all web standards you need, etc.

Robbie_Jardine

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I have used Microsoft Edge from the start but it does have it's annoyances. Currently the way it handles memory and processes frustrate the life out of me.

While I am writing this comment I have 4 tabs open and Task Manager shows that Edge is using 1,180mb of memory and has 13 child processes each using from 2.7mb to 468mb or memory and CPU usage is 0%, this is fine on my Core i7 7700K 4.20Ghz system with 16GB ram but if I were to run the number of tabs on my laptop which is core i3 2.4Ghz with 4GB ram Edge will grind to a halt.

I would like to see more frequent updates to Edge instead on having to waiting for updates twice a year to bring little or no changes to speak of.

I have used Chrome and Firefox but these are terrible if not worse.

Rishav Kumar3

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm able to use edge as my primary browser on my Dell 7720 ( laptop from year 2012). but.....I need to use chrome for some sites.....like youtube (& don't expect this to change ever as Google hates ms). I used edge after I think creators update as my primary browser. just gave it a try n liked it back then....but it has rooms for improvements. like in chrome & Firefox....we have a separate tab for history & bookmarks....can select multiple bookmarks at once to delete/open/move to folder etc.. it sometimes does hang a bit n I need to reload tabs.....don't care much about extensions....thought I want FVD speed dial in edge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte