Should Edge spilt from Major releases?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Then they'd have to deal with the fact that not many people would download it and use it. As a part of the OS, Edge has more of a chance at getting used. I use it with little issue. My only complaint is it sometimes struggles with YouTube.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Then they'd have to deal with the fact that not many people would download it and use it. As a part of the OS, Edge has more of a chance at getting used. I use it with little issue. My only complaint is it sometimes struggles with YouTube.

I believe Groove and some other apps are in the Store. They're already pre-installed so I don't think it will appear different to end-users.

I think the biggest factor is whether Edge is moving fast enough to make the time difference between major updates a liability. Apple updates Safari as part of the OS and it seems to work fine with that.

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
Edge can be updated on the monthly Patch Tuesdays in the Quality updates. I have no issues with Edge so I don't care if it is a part of the OS. It integrates with a lot of features and I am fine with it as it is now.

rmark66

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they don't have market share with Edge now (4%-5%). So, they don't have much to lose by continuing to slowing add features. They have almost a whole market to gain if they speed up delivery of features.

rmark66

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
They don't add features right now to Edge in monthly updated, it doesn't do everything other browsers do and it will never catch up by continuing this slow pace. It cannot catch up because the more full featured browsers like Chrome are still added features faster, so Edge is being left behind.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
hell yes! this is the only way they can push updates faster for Edge who by the way badly needing a huge update. An update that we can at least compare download manager, saved login, bookmark manager, history manager to Firefox.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Edge is two parts already: A UI and a web display component. The former (Edge) could easily be part of the Store and updated more frequently to add features. The EdgeHTML object that is used by other developers and other applications in the OS is the bit that is more stable but gets monthly security fixes already. The APIs on it change a lot less frequently.

I'm not a Chrome user - just Edge. What is missing these days other than performance? We have extensions, form fills, passwords stored etc. I guess the UI is pretty poor for managing favorites. If the UI was an app then that could be updated with usability enhancements more quickly. All this talk about catching up... where is it behind?

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Ugh.

The number of I don't use Edge, I don't care responses are silly.
Do you use apps? Are you excited about UWP wrapped PWA's????

These will rely on EdgeHTML and Chakra.

Edge is really three components. Edge, the UWP app, EdgeHTML and Chakra.

EdgeHTML and Chakra will likely always be tied to OS for reasons. Edge the UWP app could be updated at a different cadence, but then I fear that the app will become bloated while the html/JS engines will languish.

So, for now, I'm cool with it being tied to the OS.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I use edge all the time without any issues, should they split it to allow faster development? It's tricky edge already powers so much of the os at the moment, I'd like to say yes to speed up the browser development but would this be at the expense of the os,cshell, windows on arm, project Andromeda etc?

tayyabhasan

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
I think the whole reason it lags behind the competition is, its is tied to OS, if and when they make it a separate entity, its updates will hit people way faster.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Long way behind?

Maybe a couple of features are missing or can be improved, but I wouldn't say it's way behind. I think much of Edge issues come from certain sites not fully supporting or supporting Edge at all.

I haven't had any issues with Edge, except when I use it on my Note 8. Some sites don't support the browser. I haven't used it on my home computer much, because I would typically use my old Surface Pro. However, it has a boot loop that I need to fix and just haven't had time to sit and do it.

MullenWP

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
The reason is, just as many pointed above, Edge is tied to OS for web page rendering, which used share many apps. Therefore, it can't have breaking change every month.
I understand Edge has 2 missions: one for itself, and one for the whole system. However, I don't think that to achieve one goal it must compromise another. Why don't let the system have 2 web page engines at the same time? The Edge uses the latest version (monthly update) and the system uses stable version (update every half year). On one hand Edge could have much faster update pace, and on the other hand new changes for the web page engines could have more testing opportunity before widely used by all apps, it would be a win-win.

enduserbestpractice

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
they need to do something, yes make it work. at least.. people laugh at its functionality, I cant pay my bills on line for some sites, follow links or use dropdowns,, I don't see the value in edge? just years of lip service so far.

when I try to cast video to my TV, from edge it is frustrating as it is unreliable to paly a video with out several crashes, maybe it has value to corporations and they forgot about the consumer again..? good luck with that. my android phone streams 100% reliably and same video quality !

I used to be able to ask Cortana or Bing to find a song and it would find the song and open it in grove for me to buy they broke they ,

now google and amazon do that no echo system here , nothing to keep me hear after years
of following these things , but the 80% completion project rule for Microsoft has been evident for many years
now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12