Edge with Chromium is here, and leaked - who's using it?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I tested the Dolby Experience demo page in Chrome and got the same message directing me to use Edge for the Dolby-encoded audio. The volume control is grayed out in the video player unless you use the normal Edge browser.

From what I could find, about six weeks before the official release of Windows 10, Microsoft announced that "Microsoft Edge is the first browser to include support for Dolby Digital Plus." That support now extends to Dolby TrueHD and Atmos, but as far as I have seen, Edge is still the only browser to include this support.

Sorry, just to be clear, you've tried both (old)Edge and (new)Edge Chromium?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, just to be clear, you've tried both (old)Edge and (new)Edge Chromium?

Yes, that is correct. To recap, I use a PC in my living room connected to a surround sound receiver. From the original Edge browser, my receiver is able to play back the Dolby audio. The purpose of my first post in this thread (post #2 ) was to inquire if anyone has tested the playback of Dolby audio with the Edge Chromium browser. The best way to test is to use the Dolby demo page here. That post was made before the preview release of the new Edge was officially available for download.

About a week later, I received an invite from the Insider program to try the new browser. I did so and reported back in this thread that Dolby audio doesn't work in the new browser. If any browser other than the old Edge is used to access the Dolby experience website, there is a message that specifically says to use the Edge browser to experience the audio on the webpage encoded in a Dolby format.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that is correct. To recap, I use a PC in my living room connected to a surround sound receiver. From the original Edge browser, my receiver is able to play back the Dolby audio. The purpose of my first post in this thread (post #2 ) was to inquire if anyone has tested the playback of Dolby audio with the Edge Chromium browser. The best way to test is to use the Dolby demo page here. That post was made before the preview release of the new Edge was officially available for download.

About a week later, I received an invite from the Insider program to try the new browser. I did so and reported back in this thread that Dolby audio doesn't work in the new browser. If any browser other than the old Edge is used to access the Dolby experience website, there is a message that specifically says to use the Edge browser to experience the audio on the webpage encoded in a Dolby format.

Okay, I understand now, thanks. It may be that the new Edge has this feature coming soon.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
How do I get Edge Chromium on my Windows boxes to sync favorites with Edge on my Note 8 and Tab S2?

I'm using Edge beta on both and I've selected sync with Edge Insider Channels on both devices. I've also turned on sync on Edge Chromium on my Windows boxes.

I'm in the Edge Insider Dev Channel

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
How do I get Edge Chromium on my Windows boxes to sync favorites with Edge on my Note 8 and Tab S2?

I'm using Edge beta on both and I've selected sync with Edge Insider Channels on both devices. I've also turned on sync on Edge Chromium on my Windows boxes.

I'm in the Edge Insider Dev Channel

Others are having sync issues too. So it may be a bug. Try raising it as feedback.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Awesome, thank you! See if you get the same issue in the newly released Edge Dev 76.0.172.0.
I'll check. It's been doing other weird things. Somehow, I've managed to get over 43,000 duplicate favorites. I've deleted them from every installation of my different browsers yet they still keep showing up on my phone and tablet.

I've sent the up too.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

How is Dolby support implimented in EdgeHTML exactly? Because the Chromium may not be able to support this since the engine and code are completely separate from Microsoft's Edge. Which would probably mean not even a Microsoft Store Extension can change this..?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
How is Dolby support implimented in EdgeHTML exactly? Because the Chromium may not be able to support this since the engine and code are completely separate from Microsoft's Edge. Which would probably mean not even a Microsoft Store Extension can change this..?

I don't know anything about the code for the browsers and rendering engine. I assumed that the Chromium project being open source meant that that the Microsoft programmers could modify the code to add advanced audio technology support to the browser even though the base Chromium code doesn't support it natively. According to the OP's response in Post 3, Microsoft has said that all current Edge features will be brought over to the Chromium version.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't know anything about the code for the browsers and rendering engine. I assumed that the Chromium project being open source meant that that the Microsoft programmers could modify the code to add advanced audio technology support to the browser even though the base Chromium code doesn't support it natively. According to the OP's response in Post 3, Microsoft has said that all current Edge features will be brought over to the Chromium version.

If it is true about current Edge features migrating to Edge Chromium, then yes. It is a matter of time. Even though Edge Chromium is based on open source, EdgeHTML is not. In fact I believe OG Edge uses portions of licensed code correct? Not to mention the sole APIs available through Windows OS that Edge has access to. In some this way whatever they add to the Chromium Edge becomes also accessible to any other browser that is based on that engine and code. Which is good but also de-monopolizes other things which in the end is hopeful but can be tricky.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
If it is true about current Edge features migrating to Edge Chromium, then yes. It is a matter of time. Even though Edge Chromium is based on open source, EdgeHTML is not. In fact I believe OG Edge uses portions of licensed code correct? Not to mention the sole APIs available through Windows OS that Edge has access to. In some this way whatever they add to the Chromium Edge becomes also accessible to any other browser that is based on that engine and code. Which is good but also de-monopolizes other things which in the end is hopeful but can be tricky.

Update: I just visited Dolby Audio Experience from my laptop, and it looks like they've added Dolby Atmos support to the Chromium Edge browser. I don't know when that support was added, but the video actually plays and no longer has the message directing me to use Microsoft Edge as shown in my screenshot in Post #11.

I have not verified from my PC connected to the surround receiver in the living room, but seeing as the video wouldn't even play in the Chromium Edge browser before, I think this is a good sign that this is ready to be my full time browser for every application (other than YouTube TV which requires Chrome).

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Update: I just visited Dolby Audio Experience from my laptop, and it looks like they've added Dolby Atmos support to the Chromium Edge browser. I don't know when that support was added, but the video actually plays and no longer has the message directing me to use Microsoft Edge as shown in my screenshot in Post #11.

I have not verified from my PC connected to the surround receiver in the living room, but seeing as the video wouldn't even play in the Chromium Edge browser before, I think this is a good sign that this is ready to be my full time browser for every application (other than YouTube TV which requires Chrome).

Great news. Have you posted this discovery to their insider community forum maybe to see if this is an intentional feature added? I can't find that listed anywhere yet myself as being a feature or recently added...maybe it had something to do with the Netflix fix they recently implemented.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)