WP7 the worst gaming mobile

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
As big as MS is and being that they own a couple devolers i expected more. the xbox kicks the ps3 butt all day. MS has a lot of leverage to strong arm developers. still we don't get CRAP ON WP7!!!! no way i'd ever dump my wp7 but i'm highly disapointed. when i bought my copy of madden 12 the had the delux edition that you could play on the xbox, pc and get this the iphone or android. NO WP7. MS should have put the pressure to get madden 12 on wp7. we have NO MANLY sports on wp7. soccer is for girly men so it don't count. JK but we need some sport games. to me it's like MS just don't care about the games and it's showing. wp7 doesn't sell worth a crap in the US. i came to it for the xbox live on the phone but they can't even deliver 1 game a week. now 1 year later and still no kick butt games. if we had halo, gears, splinter cell, resident evil, cod, or any big hit titles MS is would be selling a lot more phones. who wants a sandwich with no meat??? when MS figures this out and we get some big hit games wp7 will blow up cause once you start playing with it you'll never go back to android or the ipone.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Fact: iOS is the best platform for apps and games.
Fact: iOS has more quality free apps and games.
Fact: iOS holds the largest single device market share.

The first two points are opinions, not facts. Also, I don't know why you'd come here to troll if you don't support WP7. We don't need you.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
As big as MS is and being that they own a couple devolers i expected more. the xbox kicks the ps3 butt all day. MS has a lot of leverage to strong arm developers. still we don't get CRAP ON WP7!!!! no way i'd ever dump my wp7 but i'm highly disapointed. when i bought my copy of madden 12 the had the delux edition that you could play on the xbox, pc and get this the iphone or android. NO WP7. MS should have put the pressure to get madden 12 on wp7. we have NO MANLY sports on wp7. soccer is for girly men so it don't count. JK but we need some sport games. to me it's like MS just don't care about the games and it's showing. wp7 doesn't sell worth a crap in the US. i came to it for the xbox live on the phone but they can't even deliver 1 game a week. now 1 year later and still no kick butt games. if we had halo, gears, splinter cell, resident evil, cod, or any big hit titles MS is would be selling a lot more phones. who wants a sandwich with no meat??? when MS figures this out and we get some big hit games wp7 will blow up cause once you start playing with it you'll never go back to android or the ipone.

Look MS wants to focus on phone first make sure the phone is working great the OS smooth and very reliable. People buy phones to communication gaming and multimedia aren't the top prorities thats why MS phone is really based on communication whether is old school calling and text or social networking Facebook, Twitter and Linkdn.

Its only been 1 year and MS is putting in effort to provide high quality games of course most games are older releases but you can't expect the platform to build its game library after 1 year.

The games offered on WP are great IMO good time killers, doesn't kill your battery and you can earn achievements. Also you have Halo Waypoint for Halo fans, you have the ability to see your friends message them and compare achievements which is all a good building block for a very nice mobile gaming platform for years to come.

I expect BIG things when Apollo hits I am sure Microsofts E3 will focus on Xbox Core, Xbox Kinect, Games for WP8 and Games for Windows 8. Next year with Dual cores and up to date hardware you can see all the great games like GTA III show on on WP.

Also games like GTA III etc have horrible controls IMO and are very limited. Sure the graphics are great but can you really have the control to have your character take on 10 guys at once the demos I seen only show 1 or 2 enemies at the same time.

Touchscreen gaming isn't there yet for AAA titles there is no way I can take on 15+ enemies in GTA with bullets flying all over the place just using touch I need buttons for that.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Another day, another "WP7 gaming sucks" thread. Come on guys/gals, it's barely a year old platform with some great games out there - indie and XBL. Look at home consoles such as the Xbox 360 or PS3: The great games typically don't come within the first year. Look at Nintendo's recent struggles releasing quality games on the 3DS, and that's a dedicated gaming handheld.

I don't think it can be denied that iOS is the best mobile phone gaming platform at this point - it is simply unrivaled when it comes to quality games for a phone. Graphically, I haven't seen anything on any other mobile phone platform that matches the best of iOS. That being said, we've seen some exclusive gems on WP7 such as Tentacles and The Harvest that give me hope, and upcoming games like Zombies on the Phone (I forget the spelling in nerd-speak) should be great as well.

Simply put, WP7 will be an afterthought to most developers until it gains some traction from a market-share standpoint. Why waste time developing exclusively (or even porting) for the lowest common denominator? Another problem is that Microsoft has decided to put a premium price on XBL games with really no advantages over other platforms other than achievement points. Why should I pay $3 for Angry Bird or Doodle Jump when it costs $1 on iOS/Android?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i have to admit doh,

what ms,XBL,developers are STARTING to do I was expecting last year .

... but 1 more year and we should have much better gaming experience then Iphone and Android combine....

Iphone and Android will simply not be able to compet with MS`s eco system , and thats a FACT.

we simply just have more hardware , we just need mreo DEV to come over.

Not liek the Iphoen can handle better games then wp7, if anything the wp7`s are more powerfull.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Like everyone else has said, turning the phone into a major gaming platform is going to take time.

Because Microsoft has segmented the market into two different categories (Live vs. indie) and because its user base is exceptionally low, there is little desire for most developers to support the platform. We are slowly seeing signs of support though.

Unfotunately, because of the previously mentioned problems, as well as MS's desire to very slowly upgrade the devices (Android is already has a large number of dual-core sets on the market, and Apple has joined the fray, but we apparently won't see that until late next year) we likely won't see the platform show its potential until Windows Phone 8 arrives.

Microsoft has made some serious mistakes in utilizing the phone as a mobile gaming platform, I absolutely agree. Looking at their console based Live Arcade portfolio, it's difficult to accept that their mobile platform simply doesn't match up... But that's the truth. It can't compare to other mobile platforms in terms of games, and it won't for some time.

If mobile gaming means that much to you, then by all means you should switch to another phone. Maybe later WP will be more worth your time. I'm sticking around like most other people here though. As disappointing as I agree the gaming service is, currently, the OS is so practical and smooth that I don't have any desire to switch to something else. I personally think that's also why most other people aren't budging.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I think that ms could do alot better in both the game and app side of the platform Xbox live arcade and community is full of games that could easily be ported to wp7 why not create software to easily do it? And since there using so much on marketing why not use some to get devs over to our platform and I think personally if ms's gets like 10 percent market share devs will recognize wp7.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I think that ms could do alot better in both the game and app side of the platform Xbox live arcade and community is full of games that could easily be ported to wp7 why not create software to easily do it? And since there using so much on marketing why not use some to get devs over to our platform and I think personally if ms's gets like 10 percent market share devs will recognize wp7.

The software is there to do simple XNA ports. The problem is that most developers won't use them because of the WP's low user base and segmented market. Then there's the issue of making those games work on a platform they were never designed for.

What we need to see happening is higher quality games developed exclusively for the phone. Once that starts happening in greater volume, we know we're moving uphill.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that when you advertise Xbox Live as a feature of the phone, people are going to have expectations. I expected to at least have one FPS or one decent RPG at this point! We don't even have major mobile game developers like Gameloft on board.

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I think that the Halo/GOW games would have to be changed to some type of RTS or similar type of game. That was it can have simplified controls and gameplay. And if done right, it would be excellent.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Dude Halo Wars RTS would be a sweet game to pull over from xbox! I'd buy that for $5.99 lol.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
One step at a time, I say. It's short sighted to think they can just shift the resources from the OS development into the gaming aspect. You simply can't do everything at once and, I for one, am glad they're tweaking the OS to perfection, at this stage; it's the one thing that really separates the phone from the competition and Mango has turned a few heads. Further more, MS have taken big steps in trying to please devs. This is key as the more devs that start plugging away for WP = more apps = more appealing platform = bigger marketshare = even more devs come on board = you get more games. ;)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that when you advertise Xbox Live as a feature of the phone, people are going to have expectations. I expected to at least have one FPS or one decent RPG at this point! We don't even have major mobile game developers like Gameloft on board.

So i guess assasin`s creed wasnt made by gameloft this time arround? lol ;)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
There's no other way to put it. IOS game offerings ROFLstomp everything WP7 related, we are way behind in that segment and it's a shame.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
We all know WP7 is just 1 year old, but I'm hoping MS had a jump on other dev when developing games/apps for their own OS. Seems like this should have been a day one process in getting AAA titles from their own 1st party gaming studios.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine Microsoft pulling resources from its existing first party studios - Lionhead, Rare, 343, Turn 10, Twisted Pixel, etc. - to make games for a mobile platform that has yet to take off. Why make Birds & Beaks type games that will sell a few thousand downloads when you can have these same developers making the next Halo, Forza, Fable, Gunstringer (best Kinect game imo) and sell hundreds of thousands to millions? I love my WP7 and wouldn't trade it for any other platform, but I'm also realistic and understand some of its temporary shortfalls. Games will continue to be in this category until the platform takes off (come on Nokia) and developers can reap decent profits from it.

To expect weekly XBL releases and games that match XBLA in quality is a bit silly. XBLA is one of the best platforms for "smaller games" (Shadow Complex, 'Splosion Man, Monday Night Combat, etc.) outside of Steam. These games would be incredibly difficult to do properly on a touch screen device, let alone "AAA" titles such as Halo or Gears of War.

Off topic - if anyone is up for some Battlefield 3 or Halo Reach multiplayer, let me know. Just bought the new Reach maps on the DOTW so I'm itching to check 'em out!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
All this sounds like the "chicken or the egg" debate. Which came first?
I can't imagine Microsoft pulling resources from its existing first party studios - Lionhead, Rare, 343, Turn 10, Twisted Pixel, etc. - to make games for a mobile platform that has yet to take off. Why make Birds & Beaks type games that will sell a few thousand downloads when you can have these same developers making the next Halo, Forza, Fable, Gunstringer (best Kinect game imo) and sell hundreds of thousands to millions? I love my WP7 and wouldn't trade it for any other platform, but I'm also realistic and understand some of its temporary shortfalls. Games will continue to be in this category until the platform takes off (come on Nokia) and developers can reap decent profits from it.

To expect weekly XBL releases and games that match XBLA in quality is a bit silly. XBLA is one of the best platforms for "smaller games" (Shadow Complex, 'Splosion Man, Monday Night Combat, etc.) outside of Steam. These games would be incredibly difficult to do properly on a touch screen device, let alone "AAA" titles such as Halo or Gears of War.

Off topic - if anyone is up for some Battlefield 3 or Halo Reach multiplayer, let me know. Just bought the new Reach maps on the DOTW so I'm itching to check 'em out!
Why pull engineers off other projects to work on WP7 when they had little to zero market. Gotta start somewhere.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, WP7 as a platform has to start somewhere and until the market share improves - i.e. phones in customers hands and not in warehouses - there is little reason from a financial standpoint to spend money making games for a platform with the fewest owners (and potential customers). If Microsoft starts selling a lot of phones and the games still aren't there...well, then I guess the TC has a legitimate complaint.

I'm not entirely sure the mobile phone market is best suited for core games which is why we don't see a lot of true core titles. Without any proof, I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of mobile phone owners would prefer to play Angry Birds or Peggle (or Farmville for that matter) as opposed to Batman or Final Fantasy. Triple-A big budget OMGWTFBBQ grafixxx games probably won't change that.

Edit: All that said, I'd love to see a Forza game. Maybe not as in-depth as Forza 4, but I think this is a type of game that would work well on a phone.

Last edited:

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
IMO Mango + Tango and Apollo are focused on making the most integrated, reliable and user friendly OS out there in the market

Once Apollo hits and MS is satisfied with the OS they will focus on other areas Xbox Live, Zune etc

I expect alot of Indie games ported to Apollo also a huge release Halo, Gears, Forza or Fable two of those very addicting multiplayer games will help the phones take off also with things like waypoints will help for sure.

I can see MS having the best mobile platform in the next few years once more phones get released more devs will port their IOS games to Windows espcially when they have 3 markets (desktop/laptop (office), phone/tablet (mobile), xbox (living room). IOS they only have two Apple TV and ipad/iphone.

Thats how I see the market moving in the next couple of years

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
waaa waaa waaa

Sell your phone and get an iPhone or Android, or like someone else stated an iPod Touch. It's your fault that you failed to do research on the OS and games prior to investing in WP7.

Like a majority of the posters already stated, this is a fairly new platform and it does take time to get some top developers to take notice of what WP7 is capable of. Apple didn't have games like WP7 during their 1st year run. Anyone with common sense could have have figured that out. So what was the point of your long winded nonsense?

Sorry if I come across like a dick but all I'm hearing lately is constant whining and comparing to other OS's. If you're that unhappy, sell your device and get what YOU originally wanted.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

We are getting splinter cell. I'm glad you will never dump wp7 but if you're not happy with it then maybe you should consider it. I've got so many games to complete on Xbox and ps3 anyways but that's besides the point. I think your bar might be raised too high. Look ay how much has already been accomplished in such little time. Not everything will be completed all at once. I'm so glad I don't have to use wm 6.5 anymore and I'm so glad MS is behind wp7 and not google or apple. I'm so glad that wp7 is as beautiful and kick *** as it already is, it only gets better from here.

Splinter cell is coming around November. If you can give wp7 some time to be all it can be, you will be more than pleased. If not then try android or iPhone until you are pleased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb