WP7 the worst gaming mobile

Xboxfank

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
You only need to look at iOS and Android's games to see Windows Phone is getting the shaft. We take the used second-helpings of iOS games for 3x the price and thank Microsoft.

While iOS has full MMO's, GTA III, first person shooters and serious 3D RPG's, we get casual oldies.

The harvest and a couple of exclusives are all right. But where is platform defining games seen on other mobile OS?

Truth is Microsoft screwed us with XNA and Silverlight. Even now as they try and wow us with TV on our TV's in fall update iOS enjoys BBC iPlayer, Sky Go and a host of other features. We get nothing, not even Windows Media Center.

Truth is I seriously regret getting a WP7 as an entertainment platform.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes, because those platforms had awesome games when they were barely a year old. Games with high production values come to platforms with a large installed base to draw upon.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, because those platforms had awesome games when they were barely a year old. Games with high production values come to platforms with a large installed base to draw upon.

Exactly. Anyone should be able to see that. The tired response of "Microsoft should just leapfrog the competition" is just unreasonable too. All good things take time, and Windows Phone gaming will definitely catch up to near iPhone levels someday.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Gaming on Android? That's a laugher. iOS is a beast, can't deny that, but Android is not any where near iOS when it comes to gaming and they've been out a lot longer than WP. In fact, they need dual-cores to even begin to have the games iOS does. And even then, craptastic games they are.

I have and use all current smartphone platforms (except those of Nokia) and IMO, although WP may not have beastly titles, I'd give them 2nd place to iOS because at least MS has Xbox and we will start reaping the benefits sooner or later.

L

lumic

The Tegra stuff is pretty impressive. My friend's Nexus S though? No chance. What I love about WP7 is we are going to end up with more exclusives than Android due to XBL - stuff like The Harvest. If Windows Phone catches on and say gets something like 20% marketshare, I think more XBox devs would be happy to port some simpler stuff over to WP.

I do think Microsoft has blown a pretty big opportunity by doing the whole XBL vs Indie thing. A great independent publishing house will always be regarded as a step below, even if they create an amazing game. Though in the grand scheme of things, you have to realise that no ordinary person is going to develop for Windows Phone as a priority / exclusively. There's just less money in it, no matter what you say about a smaller market.

What I think should be done? Microsoft should be plugging the gaps. Port Age Of Empires II to the phone - they did it with AOE I onto Windows Mobile, and that thing ran on my 200MHz HTC Touch! Create a toned-down Halo, but Halo nonetheless. We desperately need a semi-decent FPS. How about Fable that isn't golf?

They honestly have some great titles that could be killers. Many casual games that are best sellers on iOS/Android won't have much replay value. Porting over older but still full-blown PC/XBox titles will keep us happy.

Last edited:

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Fact: iOS is the best platform for apps and games.
Fact: iOS has more quality free apps and games.
Fact: iOS holds the largest single device market share.

Largest userbase on ONE device = developers have to do less work to get their apps and games to work properly.

Sorry, but WP7 will NEVER be anything more than Microsoft's "Me too!" mobile OS.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Largest userbase on ONE device = developers have to do less work to get their apps and games to work properly.

Sorry, but WP7 will NEVER be anything more than Microsoft's "Me too!" mobile OS.

So does that mean I can't like my WP7 games?
1087.gif

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nintendo handhelds have sold billions of dollars worth of devices with screens smaller than most current phones. With screens approaching 5 inches, I think phones make the perfect gaming mobile devices!

MS need to get off their asses and get us some AAA titles.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Fact Windows OS have a much larger install base.
Fact MS Xbox has a larger install base over the PS3

So apple and Sony will never be more than a me too platform. WRONG. MS is gaining more and more devs. Free apps, all platforms have them, and they are mostly crap.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
MS will eventually end up on top I heard through rumors that MS is showcasing more win8 and Apollo at this years E3 so expect something big.

Reason why I say MS will be better is because they have
1. First party developers
2. Xbox live indie and arcade
3. Once the user base gets bigger more games will be ported

I can see Apollo being huge with gaming but as of right now the games on live aren't that bad great time killers with achievements.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Nintendo handhelds have sold billions of dollars worth of devices with screens smaller than most current phones. With screens approaching 5 inches, I think phones make the perfect gaming mobile devices!

MS need to get off their asses and get us some AAA titles.

I'll admit, a year ago i expected to have a game like Halo on Windows Phone by now. But I think that's the kind of game that would do better on a game console, a device where there's a higher concentration of core gamers, versus a phone where casual gaming rules the day. The fact that Rovio, a company whose largest credit before Angry Birds was the rolling ball game that came with the Nokia N900 if my memory serves me correctly, agrees with this. I'd love to see something on par with Infinity Blade but you need a much larger market share before you can expect to recover the expenses of developing such a title. You also need either a top notch dev who knows the development tools or better hardware, which is one area where the first gen of Windows Phones lag behind. Of course, im assuming by "AAA" titles you mean games beyond what we've got now; basic puzzlers and the like.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think that the Halo/GOW games would have to be changed to some type of RTS or similar type of game. That was it can have simplified controls and gameplay. And if done right, it would be excellent.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I think that the Halo/GOW games would have to be changed to some type of RTS or similar type of game. That was it can have simplified controls and gameplay. And if done right, it would be excellent.

I'm not a Halo player, unless it's supposed to be a spinoff, I think it needs to stay a FPS. They've been done on other platforms, no reason they couldn't do it on Windows Phone

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
FACT: MS has the fastest growing marketplace

FACT: MS has the most beautiful/elegant/smoothest UI

FACT: WP7 has only been out a year

People expect something brand new to be just as good as something that's been out for many years? How can you compare a year old OS to something that's been out for 3-5 years? MS has nailed the UI with the smoothest OS. First things first, the games will come. Does no one foresee what is coming? Why is it always now now now? If you don't like wp7 then don't use it. Personally I could use nothing else at all, the other UI's are too ugly and fragmented. I can live without iOS games for right now because I know they are coming. Splinter cell anyone?

Can't wait for splinter cell and ace combat. We will run these without dual core and when we get dual core... It will be no contest. Xbox 360 has many exclusives and MS has gone great lengths to get exclusives to back that system up. The same will be done for wp7. We will get amazing games and exclusives. MS isn't gonna let Xbox be the best gaming system while WP lags behind. MS just launched Mango and are working on many other amazing thing. Augmented reality, Kinect small enough to fit inside our devices... In time, way before the amount of time it took Apple to get their games, wp7 will get them as well.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You only need to look at iOS and Android's games to see Windows Phone is getting the shaft. We take the used second-helpings of iOS games for 3x the price and thank Microsoft.

While iOS has full MMO's, GTA III, first person shooters and serious 3D RPG's, we get casual oldies.

The harvest and a couple of exclusives are all right. But where is platform defining games seen on other mobile OS?

Truth is Microsoft screwed us with XNA and Silverlight. Even now as they try and wow us with TV on our TV's in fall update iOS enjoys BBC iPlayer, Sky Go and a host of other features. We get nothing, not even Windows Media Center.

Truth is I seriously regret getting a WP7 as an entertainment platform.

Apple doesn't make any of the games you listed. Not sure why you'd blame Microsoft for the lack of games.

Microsoft enabled faster implentation of games due to XNA (games are quite rarely done in Silverlight). Developers are familiar with it already.

It sounds like you expected far more than was ever promised or stated or even implied.

As was said in this thread, iOS has been around a long time and has a large userbase, which attracts developers. Simple supply and demand. As WP share rises, so will the game quality and studio involvement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077