Question on the quality of the games...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer: I DON'T HATE WINDOWS PHONE 8...In fact, I will be buying one as the Black HTC 8S will be available in my country.

Ok, that being said, I was going through the Windows Phone store >games.

TBVH, all the games looks like student work. None of it looks like rich and premium quality. Like for example, the texture of the character's clothes, the sky in the background, the jittered texture of the tree, etc is just bad.

And what is strange is many games are of inferior quality. Also, please understand I am not blaming the devs or anything, but as compared to the rest of the platforms, the feel isn't as good as it should be. Don't you think?

PS: This isn't a "troll" thread or anything. I want to discuss this in a civil manner.

Thanks!

e4et

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you, almost all of the games I looked at installing look like they were made with a Nokia 3310 in mind. I haven't seen one that made me go "wow"

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Moving from android to my lumia 920 I think the games run far smoother and the graphics are better, more like iOS. Always seem jerky to me in Android, that was on an HTC Desire HD.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That's jus because you were coming from a Desire HD, hardware had evolved since and games can run smoothly on both iOS and Android. Overall I agree the quality is low and I don't get why people accept it. I tried iBomber and found it so ugly I deleted it within 5 mins. We're almost in 2013, we have new hardware, we shouldn't settle for rubbish anymore. But I don't blame Microsoft, they're not a gaming company. Oh wait...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
WP8 has native coding now, sadly Microsoft didnt release the Dev tools until right around the time WP8 was released. Games & apps take time to make, but these two game were recently released (Better quality than 99% of xbox live games IMHO)
Apps from Rebellion | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I think with time now that devs can write in native code we will see better quality games

THIS. This is what I was talking about...this definitely looks like an improvement. In fact, I would say this is a quantum leap from Alpine Ski II...

Thanks for the link...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
WP8 has only been out something like 60 days. It takes time to develop games, especially good ones. I forget the studio think its gameloft once they come along games will step up a notch

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
All the pretty graphics in the world wont make up for a rubbish game.

If after 5 minutes you care about the graphics, its the game that is the problem, not the graphics.

Id much rather all games were present, but with poor graphics, than only a handful of pretty ones were present. Then if sales are good, the dev can put the effort into better graphics later.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
WP8 has been out for two months but Microsoft has their own internal studios and they're the ones who should lead the way. They should have had a couple of impressive titles at launch. People seem to forget they're also a gaming company.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
All the pretty graphics in the world wont make up for a rubbish game.

If after 5 minutes you care about the graphics, its the game that is the problem, not the graphics.

Id much rather all games were present, but with poor graphics, than only a handful of pretty ones were present. Then if sales are good, the dev can put the effort into better graphics later.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
It certainly isn't just about graphics but a) that's what catches peoples eye and interest (e.g. Infinity Blade) and b) even discounting graphics, WP doesn't have that holy title that will just amaze you (and no it's not Wordament). I do have a slice of hope for Skulls of the Shogun though.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Was thinking if someone knows what language a WP8 game is written and what language an Android or Apple game is written in?
Are there any vast differences between the 2?
Does MS hardware not support those languages of other platforms?
There must b something, otherwise how can v have a barrage of bad-looking games and very few decent ones?
It's a deeper question to probe...

Tahiti Bob is right. This question had baffled me more than anything else. It's like RR being world renowned for it's car engines and their own car is no better than a Ford or a Chevrolet.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of quality games out for Windows Phone. Stop your crying.

No they are not, even most xbox live titles pale in comparison to the iOS versions. If you are coming from windows mobile, then yes it has plenty of quality games. It about to be 2013, 99% of the games on WP are like Nintendo, meanwhile on iPhone they have super Nintendo. The bar has been raised, I didnt realize how much until I got my iPod touch. Those two games from Rebellion has given me hope though. I think in about 6 months we might be able to say that there are plenty of quality games, but with whats in the marketplace right now....NOPE

Edit: No fault of the devs tho, the lack of native code access crippled them for the most part.

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the game selection is alright at best, but time is the answer, other devs will make good games for WP

What I'm upset about is MS. YOU OWN THE FREAKING XBOX. They have their own gaming studio, why haven't they raised the bar. Gaming in WP should be something that brings ppl to it, not push them away. MS has done a great job so far with the Wp8 OS, but the games need to be improved. I'm talking a hugh improvement, especially from the makers of the Xbox

On a side note what pisses me off the most is that I can't check my Halo 4 stats in smartglass because my OS is not supported. Wp7 is, but not Wp8. Like wtf

Last edited:

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I must agree that more than 65% of the current GAMES (not apps) have horrible graphics. Developers say they cannot afford a designer but I don't exactly understand how they want to succeed with horribly designed apps.
There're well designed apps too. Usually the first ones (lol). I have many great looking games, but I DO MISS TEMPLE RUN/SUBWAY SURFER.

Oh and... Rebelion's apps won't run on your 8S as it only has 512 RAM, you might consider that before buying your phone or looking for rich-graphics games like these 2.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I think there are some really nice games for our Windows Phones. Both in appearance and game play.

Look at Dredd vs. Zombies, iBomber Defense, Max and the Magic Marker, iStunt 2, Line Birds, Mush or Orb. All are nicely drawn up and challenging enough to keep you interested.

No... they won't match the quality we see on our Xbox console but were they ever intended to?

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think people have been asking for Xbox quality games George, not in this thread anyway. The only comparisons have been to Android and iOS where you find actual stunning games like Dead Space, Real Racing, Infinity Blade, Bastion, Kingdom Rush, etc. I could go on and not all these games are about graphics.
Now I understand the SDK was released late to 3rd party developers but at the very least, Microsoft as a platform owner who also owns gaming studios should have released something to lead the way. If they didn't have time for that then they should have mandated one or two studios to give them quality games over the festive period. Just what Apple did with Epic 2 years ago.
By the way, the same applies to apps with Microsoft failing to provide a killer app at launch like Apple does every year with GarageBand or iPhoto. But I guess this is just the Microsoft way, do things well but very slowly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)