Yahtzee and Zuma's Revenge Nokia Exclusives Now Available

supadryz

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Xbox Live Titles Yahtzee and Zuma's Revenge Nokia Exclusives Now Available on Market place. So thats 3 tiltes out today for us Nokia users.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
These are a couple of nice releases, but I AGAIN feel compelled to bring up the price. $3 for a couple of basic games is too much for me. If these were sold for $1 each, I'd maybe buy them all, but there are too many games I am enjoying on my phone right now to warrant $3 on Yahtzee.

I'll also take a second to make another negative point, sadly: While I love the work that is being done through Nokia, I'd greatly appreciate if they hit up the other OEMs (especially HTC), then offered them these games for a small chunk of change. Though Nokia is doing a fantastic job with the platform (loving my 920 and Nokia Music), we're getting into a bad place, in my opinion. Part of why I left Android was fragmentation and the inconsistency of update distribution. This is the BIGGEST case of fragmentation I've ever seen though, even if these are technically "limited" exclusive (the limit seems pretty high, though). I know it's not fair to blame Nokia, and what they're doing isn't even affecting me, but I do wonder how the public is going to perceive the platform when they here that only one of the OEMs is getting high-level software support. I mean, if you like the 8X on Verizon a lot, and don't care for the 822, how will you react if you're told that your 8X will lag SEVERELY behind the 822 in software releases? Will you go with the 822, or will you look to Android, where games are MOSTLY released on all platforms at once?

I guess I just wanted to rant a little, but great job again for Nokia to keep the games coming. They need to take what they did to get EA on-board and try that tactic with Microsoft, who shouldn't even need convincing in the first place.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So you want Nokia to reach these agreements with game developers to port their stuff to WP8 (often involving financial incentives), but you want other OEMs, who don't offer those incentives, to benefit either way?

Yeah, OK, sure.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So you want Nokia to reach these agreements with game developers to port their stuff to WP8 (often involving financial incentives), but you want other OEMs, who don't offer those incentives, to benefit either way?

Yeah, OK, sure.

I think he meant it as, sure, it's nice to see Nokia pulling all the devs over, but it's spoiling WP8 as a whole, introducing fragmentation.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
As time passes Nokia will be the windows phone to have and the rest of the brands will be pushed aside.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, OK, sure.

Love the reading comprehension. As I said, IF YOU READ THE COMMENT, " I'd greatly appreciate if they hit up the other OEMs (especially HTC), then offered them these games for a small chunk of change." They should try to get the other OEMs to pay to break the exclusivity and get stuff sooner. That, and as I said, I don't blame Nokia, I just hate that it hurts the experience for others on the non-Nokia hardware.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
As time passes Nokia will be the windows phone to have and the rest of the brands will be pushed aside.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

I honestly hope not. It's looking like that might happen with Samsung on Android, though Motorola has a good shot of succeeding under Google's wing. HTC's had a really rough go though, and if they fall away, then there's an issue of 3 OSes with 3 OEMs and a lack of hardware innovation that follows as a result.

However, it seems that Huwaei and ZTE are just getting started on Windows Phone, so maybe they'll bring some quality stuff to the game.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Love the reading comprehension. As I said, IF YOU READ THE COMMENT, " I'd greatly appreciate if they hit up the other OEMs (especially HTC), then offered them these games for a small chunk of change." They should try to get the other OEMs to pay to break the exclusivity and get stuff sooner. That, and as I said, I don't blame Nokia, I just hate that it hurts the experience for others on the non-Nokia hardware.

"A small chunk of change" doesn't account for the time/effort/prestige Nokia spent courting these developers. Nokia has already done a lot by offering its software for free to use on other WP devices (Drive, Music, Maps). Samsung and HTC are still keeping their mediocre apps exclusive.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and HTC have nothing I want. Nokia could make a decent amount of money offering the Nokia-exclusive games to other OEM-made devices. There's a difference between a Sense skin on HTC and several games Nokia didn't actually make.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
These are a couple of nice releases, but I AGAIN feel compelled to bring up the price. $3 for a couple of basic games is too much for me. If these were sold for $1 each, I'd maybe buy them all, but there are too many games I am enjoying on my phone right now to warrant $3 on Yahtzee.

I'll also take a second to make another negative point, sadly: While I love the work that is being done through Nokia, I'd greatly appreciate if they hit up the other OEMs (especially HTC), then offered them these games for a small chunk of change. Though Nokia is doing a fantastic job with the platform (loving my 920 and Nokia Music), we're getting into a bad place, in my opinion. Part of why I left Android was fragmentation and the inconsistency of update distribution. This is the BIGGEST case of fragmentation I've ever seen though, even if these are technically "limited" exclusive (the limit seems pretty high, though). I know it's not fair to blame Nokia, and what they're doing isn't even affecting me, but I do wonder how the public is going to perceive the platform when they here that only one of the OEMs is getting high-level software support. I mean, if you like the 8X on Verizon a lot, and don't care for the 822, how will you react if you're told that your 8X will lag SEVERELY behind the 822 in software releases? Will you go with the 822, or will you look to Android, where games are MOSTLY released on all platforms at once?

I guess I just wanted to rant a little, but great job again for Nokia to keep the games coming. They need to take what they did to get EA on-board and try that tactic with Microsoft, who shouldn't even need convincing in the first place.

I'm also in the $0.99 camp 98% of the time; since I was able to get Assassin's Creed and Earthworm Jim HD for free last week (a $10) value, I had no issues purchasing Bejeweled Live+ and Zuma's Revenge; also, since Nokia gave us Super Monkey Ball 2 and Sonic CD for free (a $6 value roughly), I still feel ahead from a financial prospective. I purchased FC Rocket because I REALLY enjoyed playing it and I actually thought that that would be the only game I would ever purchase at that amount of money :)

I totally disagree with you regarding Nokia. I don't think that Nokia should take the initiative a reach out to the other oems - Nokia took the initiative to reach out to developers, so why can't HTC and Samsung do the same? Ultimately, it is Microsoft's responsibility to attract and retain developers for Windows Phone; afterall, it is their OS! Nokia is reaching out to developers to reward those of us who have chosen to support Nokia by purchasing a Lumia device, which I find rewarding even if there were no exclusive apps/games. Someone having to decide whether to purchase a L822 vs. a 8x because of software/apps support, is no different than any other decision point one has to make when deciding to purchase one phone over another.

It's easy to rant about Nokia, many people do; but Microsoft owns the OS, and if it was truly detrimental to the OS and ecosystem, then Microsoft is complicit - solely Microsoft.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not even ranting about Nokia, or saying that they SHOULD try to get a hold of other OEMs. I'm simply saying that it would be better for the platform if fragmentation was not present. Whether that means Nokia calls HTC, HTC calls Nokia, or whatever, fragmentation is a negative for the platform, same as it was for me with Android. My issue isn't with what Nokia is doing at all, as they are the ONLY company (Microsoft included) showing that they are all-in with Windows Phone.

I know all about that decision, though. My sister got an 822 over the 8X back a few months ago. I told her Nokia has better software, but to say that software fragmentation is just like any feature is silly. The level at which this happens is basically changing the ecosystem altogether.

Oh, and while it's nice those other games went free, they aren't games I was planning to buy, and I haven't played them at all, minus one level of Sonic CD, which I proceeded to delete (don't dislike it, just have other games to play, and it takes up 241 MB of phone space). It doesn't justify spending $3 on other games I'm not that big on, especially when I have Gun Bros to finish (which will take a weeks or two), then Skulls of the Shogun to play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12