IOS games smoother?

anon(5347957)

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Why are games in IOS smoother than the same game in WP. Foe eg, asphalt 7 heat, love the game, but when you compare it to the IOS counter part, it looks laggy. I'll leave androids app as they are even worse. But is it just me or does any one feel the same. Don't get me started on Surface rt. even with tegra 3, the game are playable but not the standard you hope it would be.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
For starters, the Surface RT's Tegra 3 is not a high-end SoC. The GPU isn't a powerful one, so you'll probably see lag in games.

As for Windows Phone 8 cs. iOS, it's probably due to the fact that developers are doing something of a lazy job of porting, and Microsoft restricts how much hardware an application can take up, meaning it might get choppy due to that hardware throttling at times. I've had a few hiccups on Asphalt 7, but nothing to really complain about, in my opinion.

CaptainChunk41

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
When asphalt was initially released for ios it lagged on my iPod but worked fine on my iPad but after series of update if works flawlessly on both devices,so we have to wait,new updates will come along and will optimize the game and also fix bugs..

anon(5813706)

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Why are games in IOS smoother than the same game in WP. Foe eg, asphalt 7 heat, love the game, but when you compare it to the IOS counter part, it looks laggy. I'll leave androids app as they are even worse. But is it just me or does any one feel the same. Don't get me started on Surface rt. even with tegra 3, the game are playable but not the standard you hope it would be.
Well, the only game I have on both my iPad 4th generation and my Lumia 822 is ?The Dark Knight Rises.? The game is smoother on my iPad, but I don?t know if it?s because of bad optimization when it was ported over to WP8, or whether it?s because of my Lumia 822 having lower hardware specs when compared with the iPad 4, or maybe a combo of both?!?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Keith Wallace;1934241. said:
As for Windows Phone 8 cs. iOS, it's probably due to the fact that developers are doing something of a lazy job of porting, and Microsoft restricts how much hardware an application can take up, meaning it might get choppy due to that hardware throttling at times. I've had a few hiccups on Asphalt 7, but nothing to really complain about, in my opinion.

It's this!

I've been saying it, but around here stating this gets insults hurled at you or another OS.

It's a problem and needs to be addressed.

It's this!

I've been saying it, but around here stating this gets insults hurled at you or another OS.

It's a problem and needs to be addressed.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The one smart thing Apple did was put industry leading GPUs in their phones and tablets. It's to the extent that the GPU in the iPhone 4s/iPad 2 is still viable performance-wise after nearly two years. That said, they don't necessarily crush the performance and don't even excel in every category.

That's where being the top tier platform helps. iOS gets all the attention. Developers are going to ensure games run well there before they were about any other OS.

The Adreno 225 is better in benchmarks than people give it credit for. If every game on my Lumia 920 had performance issues I'd be inclined to agree that the GPU is deficient. But the thing is that we do have games that run very smoothly despite being visually demanding.

So when Gameloft comes along with games that run poorly, I blame Gameloft, not the platform. They've even got issues in iOS, but at least they eventually address them there.

I tried Temple Run on my iPad 2, to compare against the Windows Phone version. It's easily running double the framerate, 60fps versus 30fps. It's far more responsive and as such much easier to play as a result. I can barely pay attention and still get 5x as far because it registers my swipes precisely.

Again, this is a situation where it's inexcusable for Temple Run to run like it does. I don't see anything extraordinarily demanding in this game for it not to maintain a high framerate and responsive input. There are games as visually demanding that run smoothy. Hopefully Imangi Studios will do a better job of optimizing this game via updates than Gameloft.

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
So in simple terms, its not our hardware thats deficient but its just the optimization? There's definitely room for improvement?

Idiocracy_izruts

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've seen playtroughs of the dark knight rises on an iphone5 and GS3, the drops in framerate were just as present as in the WP8 version. It's bad level design and lack of polish from the dev. side. You have acenes which are heavy in detail, allmost as in a console game and then you have some sewer levels which have 1/10 of the poly count and the game runs smoothly there. Lack of proper level design shows pretty much in every title from Gameloft

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077