Question about free games

yashshah7197

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys.

If a paid game is free for sometime due to a giveaway or something, will I be able to install it on my phone after it becomes paid again for free by downloading the XAP which is downloaded by the 'Download and Install Manually' button?

I am asking because right now there are some paid games being given out for free like iStunt, Gravity Guy, etc. and I'll be getting my phone after maybe a day or two.

Thanks.

Regards,
Yash Shah

Last edited by a moderator:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Question

I am asking because right now there are some paid games being given out for free like iStunt, Gravity Guy, etc. and I'll be getting my phone after maybe a day or two.

Click into each of the games and add them to your Microsoft Account. You will always be allowed to download them.

With games in the Marketplace, it doesn't care how much you paid for them, you either have a check YES or NO on the profile of each app as to if you own it or not...

You should not have to worry at all about side loading the apps.

The only way an app could be had for free and later you have to pay for it is if the Dev releases a game for $0, and later retracts/removes that game and re-releases a paid version.

yashshah7197

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Question

Click into each of the games and add them to your Microsoft Account. You will always be allowed to download them.

With games in the Marketplace, it doesn't care how much you paid for them, you either have a check YES or NO on the profile of each app as to if you own it or not...

You should not have to worry at all about side loading the apps.

The only way an app could be had for free and later you have to pay for it is if the Dev releases a game for $0, and later retracts/removes that game and re-releases a paid version.

How do I do that? I do not have my Microsoft account linked to any WP device.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You simply download them on your Windows Phone account. The account you use on the phone signs in just the same on the site. Once you DL something, it's in your purchase history. You can't view it from the phone, but it's on the site.

yashshah7197

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
You simply download them on your Windows Phone account. The account you use on the phone signs in just the same on the site. Once you DL something, it's in your purchase history. You can't view it from the phone, but it's on the site.

What if we don't have a Windows Phone account? As I said in my original post, I will be buying a new WP8 device within a day or two and also would not like to miss out on this offer of the free games.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Try this. Not sure it will let you buy apps without a WP. First create a Microsoft account then go to windowsphone.com and sign in with that account and buy those free apps.

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
You can't do anything in this case, once you have linked the phone to an account then you can purchase/ download via website.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Tried that. Says that my account is not linked to any WP device. Hence unable to install apps.

Ohhh, that also makes sense. Same way you can't tie Win8 games to your Microsoft Account while using a WinXP machine...they put those steps in to prevent stupid people from buying item they will never be able to use.

The system automatically assumes you are an ***** (edit...that was id10t) and won't let you buy (you are 'Buying' for $0) an app that you will never be able to use.

You are just the exception to the rule, and a smart person trying to keep ahead, haha. One article said the sale was until Monday. So you should be fine waiting until it arrives in the next day or two.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just a suggestion, you could go to a cellular sore near you, then sign into one of the Windows Phone there and "buy" the free games. That'll also put them in your purchase history for the device you actually end up getting. You'd want to make sure you unlinked the account after though, of course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12