Let's spam halfbrick to get smooth fruit ninja

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Right, I see. That's a version of Fruit Ninja specifically for the iPad. So, if Halfbrick were to release a HD version for mobile phones it would be a separate application rather than an update to the current one.

We don't even have the version that iPhone and Android has. Our fruit ninja is much blurry and laggy.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
As I said before, I can't tell the difference between the Android version on my Galaxy S3 and my Lumia 920. They both look and play the same to me.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The important thing isn't that Fruit Ninja runs in HD, it's that it runs in the native resolution on your device. Fruit Ninja runs at the full resolution of my iPad 2, which is 1024x768. That's a far cry from the 800x480 found on Windows Phone. Add another 256 pixels and you've got the native resolution of a Lumia 920. Fruit Ninja also supports the iPhone 5 in addition to the iPad 3/4.

But I can't fault Half-Brick at all for their decisions. They're going to invest their effort on the platform that's most profitable. It's not a trivial amount of work to update these games, and if they only earn a few extra thousand dollars for the effort they're not doing to bother. iOS probably earns them more income doing nothing than if they were to release an HD-friendly version for Windows Phone.

If we want to see better support we need to start buying these games in significant numbers. That and the Windows Phone Store needs to do a better job of promoting apps and games.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
The important thing isn't that Fruit Ninja runs in HD, it's that it runs in the native resolution on your device. Fruit Ninja runs at the full resolution of my iPad 2, which is 1024x768. That's a far cry from the 800x480 found on Windows Phone. Add another 256 pixels and you've got the native resolution of a Lumia 920. Fruit Ninja also supports the iPhone 5 in addition to the iPad 3/4.

But I can't fault Half-Brick at all for their decisions. They're going to invest their effort on the platform that's most profitable. It's not a trivial amount of work to update these games, and if they only earn a few extra thousand dollars for the effort they're not doing to bother. iOS probably earns them more income doing nothing than if they were to release an HD-friendly version for Windows Phone.

If we want to see better support we need to start buying these games in significant numbers. That and the Windows Phone Store needs to do a better job of promoting apps and games.

More than 1 million users bought PAID version of fruit ninja for Android. Let me tell you what halfbrick did: no updates for 1-2 years. I really hate halfbrick..

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
More than 1 million users bought PAID version of fruit ninja for Android. Let me tell you what halfbrick did: no updates for 1-2 years. I really hate halfbrick..

Odd, because I've read of several updates to the Android version going back to at least a year ago. What I see available for Android seems similar to my iPad version. In fact, if memory serves it almost seems like those updates arrived about the same time as the iOS version.

Not like the updates offered much of substance anyway. The most noteworthy thing I noticed was a ton of ad spam. Fruit Ninja is entertaining, but like Angry Birds, it's incredibly overrated.

I don't want to go out of my way to defend these developers. I don't know anything about what's going on behind the scenes in this particular case. However, I do have friends in the industry and the whole process is far from trivial. It's not just a matter of whipping together some update. And sometimes the problem is a lot more complex than simply selling a successful game. Halfbrick might find trying to support a million different Android devices just not worth the effort, especially since they've got a cash cow in iOS. I personally know of a developer who's been incredibly successful with Xbox Live who's refusing to develop for the platform ever again because of the crap Microsoft has put them through.

And it's not like these developers owe us anything. What do people expect from games that cost them a dollar or two? People used to be okay with paying upwards of $40 for a game with comparable gameplay in a time when no one even dreamed of updates.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Odd, because I've read of several updates to the Android version going back to at least a year ago. What I see available for Android seems similar to my iPad version. In fact, if memory serves it almost seems like those updates arrived about the same time as the iOS version.

Not like the updates offered much of substance anyway. The most noteworthy thing I noticed was a ton of ad spam. Fruit Ninja is entertaining, but like Angry Birds, it's incredibly overrated.

I don't want to go out of my way to defend these developers. I don't know anything about what's going on behind the scenes in this particular case. However, I do have friends in the industry and the whole process is far from trivial. It's not just a matter of whipping together some update. And sometimes the problem is a lot more complex than simply selling a successful game. Halfbrick might find trying to support a million different Android devices just not worth the effort, especially since they've got a cash cow in iOS. I personally know of a developer who's been incredibly successful with Xbox Live who's refusing to develop for the platform ever again because of the crap Microsoft has put them through.

And it's not like these developers owe us anything. What do people expect from games that cost them a dollar or two? People used to be okay with paying upwards of $40 for a game with comparable gameplay in a time when no one even dreamed of updates.

IOS users pay $1 too but they get all the updates.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Let's compare ratings because we don't have downloads to compare:

Fruit Ninja
iOS - 57,055 - current version (664,987 - all versions)
Android - 38,060
Windows Phone - 5,505 (and that's actually good for a Windows Phone app)

That's your answer as to why iOS gets all the updates.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Let's compare ratings because we don't have downloads to compare:

Fruit Ninja
iOS - 57,055 - current version (664,987 - all versions)
Android - 38,060
Windows Phone - 5,505 (and that's actually good for a Windows Phone app)

That's your answer as to why iOS gets all the updates.

I can't get your viewpoint. You're talking as if a professional application developer company had to release updates for only a platform that has the best download rates. They must be really rich. They got more than 1 million dollars only from Android (only for fruit ninja). So I think they can work harder.. Also multiplayer function doesn't even work on Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs