AoE first on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doffen

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
So this just happened:

Today, KLab Inc. announced a licensing agreement with Microsoft Corp. to develop a mobile version of Microsoft Studio's Age of Empires franchise, which will be initially developed in English for iOS and Android and launched globally, with plans to release the game in other languages and on Windows Phone in the future. Some reports included incorrect information about additional Xbox Live-based games on iOS and Android but there are no further announcements beyond Age of Empires at this time

Source.

So Microsoft are basically licensing out the Age of Empires IP without the require that the game should also be released day 1 on Windows Phone.

This made my blood boil as a day 1 Windows Phone supporter. As the owner of the bloody platform, Microsoft should be the #1 contributor for it's success, and not allow their own IP's to be first released on competing platforms.

Our community is know to be very vocal, so I say that we should let Microsoft know how disappointed we are.

These are the following twitter accounts you should bombard with tweets: @XboxP3 @notwen @MrPhilHarrison @Xbox @PlayXBLA @joebelfiore @XboxQwik @aarongreenberg @majornelson

Use #SupportWP

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's increasingly evident that there isn't enough unity amongst Microsoft's various divisions. For all the potential and promise the company isn't doing enough to bolster the Windows Phone. Or perhaps more accurately, the support has been inconsistent at best. Unfortunately this isn't the first time we've been screwed and it wont be the last.

Remember Ms. Splosion Man? Late to Windows Phone and when it finally arrived it wasn't even compatible with WP8. It's been months since the launch of that game and there's been total silence regarding updates.

The problem isn't even that Age of Empires will be available for other platforms. It's that it's showing up there before it comes to Windows Phone. I don't get it, Microsoft understands the value of exclusivity when it comes to the Xbox, but evidently doesn't appreciate it's value for Windows Phone.

All this would be easier to take if Windows Phone weren't such a good OS. There's no much potential there being squandered. Microsoft really needs to get on the ball here, especially when it comes to courting indie developers, fostering a more welcoming environment and making the Xbox Live certification easier for everyone. If the success is going to come it has to be on the back of those guys, not the large developers who feed us a trickle of crappy ports of big budget games.

I Spiritus I

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I entirely agree, at least it's still coming to Windows Phone!

Microsoft does need better communication within it's departments!

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Whilst i understand the anger, i'm baffled why this supprises anyone.

Being that they plan to release it any day, they'd already written the game. Would you delay a game you've already written for a couple of weeks/months, because Microsoft wanted you to? Course they won't.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Even though it's a Microsoft IP, it's being developed by a 3rd-party and they to pay the bills somehow. If this was an entirely new game we'd be lucky if they were even considering WP.

Doffen

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Even though it's a Microsoft IP, it's being developed by a 3rd-party and they to pay the bills somehow. If this was an entirely new game we'd be lucky if they were even considering WP.

Microsoft was never forced to give away their IP like this without demanding day 1 release on their own platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium