Halo: Spartan Assault - Which version should I get (Windows Phone or Surface RT)?

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I would avoid getting it on a phone it burns battery and by "burn" I also mean it burns your fingers it gets hot quick! I lost 5% battery when I died 70% through one mission. Battery is still hot and losing % as I type right now. I assume it would go down 2-3% more. I can't even play it outside since my battery will drain way too much.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I would avoid getting it on a phone it burns battery and by "burn" I also mean it burns your fingers it gets hot quick! I lost 5% battery when I died 70% through one mission. Battery is still hot and losing % as I type right now. I assume it would go down 2-3% more. I can't even play it outside since my battery will drain way too much.

uh I disagree. I played for an hour and lost 8% battery. I think that is fairly good/average for playing a game. Not even that bad.

KrightonX

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It's too small to play on a phone really. My Surface Pro has gone from work tool to recreational tool now. I'm not sure what an RT is, I think it's like a Microsoft iPad.

kingkoopa09

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Yea its awesome on surface kickstand helps make it seem like a big controller since the 360s isn't supported and I love my surface rt does pretty much everything on a normal basis plus keeps my Lumia charged

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've read user reviews of the Windows 8/RT version and one user claimed you needed to be connected to the Internet to play the game. Is this true? So, no gaming mid-flight or out in the boonies?

I'm still wavering on which one to get. If I didn't have the $25 credit on my Windows Phone, I'd definitely get it for my Surface RT instead. But, as it is, I don't think I'll use up all $25 on my phone before the points expire in 2 months, so I feel like it would be a waste to pay for it on Surface instead of getting it on my phone for free. But, everyone on here seems to say that the Surface RT version is superior, so maybe I'll just "splurge" and get that version. I'm so indecisive.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I've read user reviews of the Windows 8/RT version and one user claimed you needed to be connected to the Internet to play the game. Is this true? So, now gaming mid-flight or out in the boonies?

That doesn't seem to be the case for me. Maybe it's that you need to be connected to the internet the first time, but you definitely don't need to subsequent times. That being said, I'm not sure if you can save progress when offline. Almost all of the Windows Xbox Games don't save when offline, but I haven't had a chance to try that with Halo.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't seem to be the case for me. Maybe it's that you need to be connected to the internet the first time, but you definitely don't need to subsequent times. That being said, I'm not sure if you can save progress when offline. Almost all of the Windows Xbox Games don't save when offline, but I haven't had a chance to try that with Halo.

Okay, so the game saves to the cloud on Windows 8/RT (i.e., unlike most Windows Phone games, which save locally, right?) and you cannot save it then if you're not connected to the 'Net? What happens, then, if you've been playing offline. You're playing for naught and have to re-do all that once you have Internet access?

One more question about achievements, for those who own both versions. Do you get double the achievements if you play both versions, or just one set of achievements (I don't get how this works if the game allows for the 'save and switch devices and pick up where you left off' feature. If the achievements are separate but you can continue your game on WP where you left off on Surface, wouldn't you have achievement gaps? How does this work with other games that do this (like Skulls of the Shogun)?

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I have it on both my 920 and surface pro. It doesn't give you "double" achievements like skulls of shogun. My two vents on game play is the surface is superior in every way. That being said, its simple to download on your non Verizon phone. Its just hard for me to use the controls on the smaller screen size.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have Verizon so I don't need to bypass anything, but I think I'm leaning towards the Surface RT version. My only concern is that I only have 3.20GB of free space left. Will that be enough? I've heard that you need to have a certain number of GB open just to download it and run it. I sure wish they had a trial version.

Shad0x64

May 27, 2011
Visit site
From what I can tell you get the same 20 achievements but each is dependent on the platform you achieved them on, still you can get 2x the achievements by completing the same on each. So far I've played on the phone more often and when switching to the desktop I continue from where I left off so im missing the first few achievements but I can always choose the first missions and get the rest.

wp_ss_20130723_0004.png

Last edited:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, I finally decided and bought it last night for my Surface RT. It looks great on the bigger screen and runs smoothly (except for one time where it completely crashed my Surface, which then wouldn't reboot for several minutes...that was scary but it eventually came around), but there are a couple of things that irk me:
1. Achievmeents: If you get an achievement the classic green banner and noise notification don't pop up (this is like my favorite sound in the world and all other Xbox LIVE games I know have it, so it's disappointing this one doesn't).
2. The microtransactions: I hate games with microtransactions, requiring you to spend additional real money to buy the cool things like weapons and armor upgrades (I get why developers do this for 'freemium' games, but to do it in a $7 game is not cool). Additionally, I've heard from other reviewers that the weapons and armor you buy are only temporary! Is this true? You pay real money to use a weapon for one mission and it doesn't carry over? Who the heck came up with that? Regardless, having all the extra money on my $25 Microsoft card for the 928 promotion (in addition to the extra credits I can get via Bing Rewards), I'd rather have bought it on my phone to use to buy these upgraded weapons.
3. The controls (overall): Overall, the controls work very well. The developers did a good job of adopting the "Rocket Riot" control scheme of allowing your thumbs to migrate along the screen but continue to work (instead of say, doing it like Sonic the Hedgehog 4 or NBA Jam and having a tiny little virtual stick that you always slide away from forcing you to readjust), with the left side of the screen controlling movement and the right side controlling aiming. However, for the same reason I prefer Rocket Riot on my phone vs. Rocket Riot 3D on my Surface, I guess my hands are a little too small for the 10.6" screen and I find it a little cumbersome to hold the tablet while also navigating the controls (particularly switching to other buttons such as changing weapons or grenades). I think a smaller screen would've worked better for me here.
4. The controls (grenades):: Finally, while the controls are generally good, they really screwed up with their controls for the grenades. It is not intuitive at all. Instead of letting you switch to grenades and tap the screen where you want to aim it, it simply launches the grenade in the direction the character is facing. Even if you take the time to face your character at the intended target, more likely than not you'll still miss the target, thereby wasting the grenade.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb