Words with friends. Unacceptable for paid app

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The developers charge on WP, not on other platforms. Yet the app is in awful shape. It locks up my phone a lot and doesn't update consistently when someone makes a turn.

This game hasn't been updated in 9 months! I've already sent some nastygrams to the devs but have they ever even mentioned any plans to fix this game?

At the very least it should be free. MS should not allow a dev to charge for a broken app, especially one that locks up your phone and when the dev has shown no signs of trying to correct the issues.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It really should be delisted. Both Words With Friends and Draw Something are pretty badly coded rip offs on WP.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Check out the reviews. You'd be hard pressed to find a positive review. There is no way they're unaware how bad the app is.
Luckily I have an Android for my work phone and have installed it on there, FOR FREE, and it doesn't lock up my phone, gets updated, and works very well.
I have stopped even trying to use it in my 920 because I'm sick of having to hold Volume down - Power button to reset the phone due to lock up.
I've tweeted WindowsPhone and will email as well to get them to push the dev for a resolution. I, and anyone else who paid for the app, should demand a refund or fix to the app.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Its been working decently (occasional hiccups here and there) for over a year for me through many different devices. Yeah, its pretty buggy but totally playable. I'd rather have a playable version than none at all. Sending "nastygrams" to the devs is the perfect solution to get them to remove their apps from WP permanently. Don't be a jerk. Instead, why don't you try telling them how much you love the game and appreciate that it is even on WP to begin with, and THEN say many are getting frustrated with the bugs, and then ask nicely if they could address them. Because if I got a nastygram from someone on one of my projects, I think my reaction would be to pull the plug completely. You gotta remember there are actual PEOPLE behind everything, try treating them they way YOU would like to be treated.

It is obvious that WWF on WP is not a top priority to them, so be realistic and know they just don't actually care that much. Getting nasty in that kind of scenario is the worst strategy to take.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't be a jerk? Lol I am not a million dollar company like they are. It is their responsibility to put out a good product. And if I'm not happy with it, and when they've done NOTHING for 9 months to update the app, they absolutely should be called out for it.

Call it whatever you want, jerk, whatever. I paid for this app and it should work well. Not "decent", if you even want to call it that. Decent is stretching it anyways. Look at the reviews. They're horrible. This app is buggy and freezes up people phones. It doesn't have the features Android and iPhone have either, where it runs very smoothly. Yet they only charge WP users for the app. Unacceptable.

And if they have to pull the app, so be it. If they don't want to fix it, then screw them. Make it free and say this is all you're getting or pull it! They should not be allowed by MS to profit from a known broken app, they've refused to fix. They make enough money to afford to hire WP devs that know what they're doing. No excuses.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
^ exactly. People shouldn't accept mediocrity. Nor should people pay for it.

I think you're overstating this a bit. Mediocrity is average. There are many average apps and games that are worth an average price.

The problem with Words With Friends isn't that it's mediocre. It's that it's broken. It's been broken since it came out. They know it's broken. The devs just don't care enough to fix it.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe *you* are ok with it being pulled but some of us actually want to play it. So just don't ruin it for the rest of us.

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
This is the only app that freezes my phone and I have to do a soft reset. Initially there were many updates to improve the usability but now there hasn't been an update in months.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Maybe *you* are ok with it being pulled but some of us actually want to play it. So just don't ruin it for the rest of us.

You seem okay with a broken app. Why? This app isnt free, for one thing. They update this app regularly on other OS's. Heck, my Android phone had an update a week or so ago. Windows Phone? March 2013. over 9 months ago. If the time since the last update was much, much shorter and the Dev informed us that they are working on fixing and updating the game, Id be with you. But they dont say a word and its been a long time.

This isnt some mom n pop developer. They make millions with their apps. There is zero excuse for them to not update their apps on ALL platforms. They can easily hire a competent WP developer to fix and update their WP versions. But they have so far refused to do so. They dont even attempt to stabilize the app let alone get it up to date with their other versions. Unacceptable.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys.
I'm totally with you on how bad WWF is on WP8. I've abandoned it in favour of Angry Words, which runs well on WP8, and with no ads.
It has many of the same features, except the play area isn't as well laid out as WWF. It also has a good chat facility which keeps one thread for each person, not game.
Give it a try.
As to WWF, did you guy's not know a free version is available,([Words With Friends | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom))

Last edited:

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys.
I'm totally with you on how bad WWF is on WP8. I've abandoned it in favour of Angry Words, which runs well on WP8, and with no ads.
It has many of the same features, except the play area isn't as well laid out as WWF. It also has a good chat facility which keeps one thread for each person, not game.
Give it a try.
As to WWF, did you guy's not know a free version is available,([Words With Friends | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom))

Ill try it. The only reason I liked WWF and wanted to use it more so, is because I can play with other people who have iphone or android. My g/f has an iphone and its nice to actually have a game I can play with her from my WP, though I have to use my Android phone now because I am sick of the freezing issues with the WP version.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Fully understand that. All my friends play via Android or iOS and it got to the point I had to play them via PC on Facebook. I told them all to play me on Angry Words as I had no other option with it crashing so much. All of them have. Also, my friends on iOS were having problems with WWF on there platform too. Zynga laid off a lot of staff recently as they're not doing well financially. I wonder if it was the Windows Phone staff?

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE FINALLY!!!!! As of today (June 16, 2014, Zynga has just released an update to Words For Friends for Windows Phone. It seems to be working much better. This is a completely redesigned version. It's a lot plainer in design, but it works for me. I like minimalism.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm playing this on an 8.0 L920 and it's more a new game than an update. It's installed alongside the old one. Better screen play and phone is only 'mildly' warm!

djgreedo

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Is the new version not working for anyone else? Mine gets stuck on the loading screen. I tried uninstalling and re-installing.

Lumia 920 on 8.1 preview.

Now I can't play it!

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Is the new version not working for anyone else? Mine gets stuck on the loading screen. I tried uninstalling and re-installing.

Lumia 920 on 8.1 preview.

Now I can't play it!

yep same here & im also 920 dev preview 8.1, wonder if 8.1 is the problem ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb