Solitaire, the most basic of games, but huge battery guzzler

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As the title suggests, I downloaded Solitaire and I love it. But lord, it absolutely hammers my battery. It uses more power on my 920 than having my sat nav and mobile internet running. It uses more power than I can put in to the phone. 2 nights ago I was playing and my phone was charging, and I ran out of power. This is on a mains charge! Anyone else notice this? I am shocked as I would assume it is a very basic game to run. My 286 from the early nineties could run it, so I am aghast as to why my significantly more powerful phones struggles. It gets uncomfortably hot, like it is running some NASA calculations in the background.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Lol. I think it is time to upgrade. I hate to be that guy, but my 1020 doesn't ever get hot. I never have battery problems. Even when my grip is discharged. I absolutely hammered that thing yesterday for about 20 hours and by the time I went to bed it had just started battery saver. I didn't believe the ram would have that much of an effect on battery. I did have the 920. Many actually. And 820. And 520. :D

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
No, they're right. I have a 1020 and Microsoft's Solitaire game is slow, eats through battery and makes the phone really hot. It's really weird that such a simple game, especially one made by Microsoft, would perform that way but it's true.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed it as well. The other recently released/updated Microsoft Xbox games like minesweeper and mahjong also seem to be battery hogs.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Time to upgrade? I'm due in November, but really love my 920. Can't see me parting with it yet. Of course, there are plenty of shows coming up, so you never know. The 1020 is my current favourite. If there is something like that at the end of the year then I am on it. Love Windows phone, so staying with the OS.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I have just been playing minesweeper on a WP8.1 device and it made the processor go through the roof. I think that Microsoft is using these games as a way to send processing tasks to devices. I wouldn't be surprised if they put your network usage through the roof as well. I will do some tests and let you know.

God bless

Andrew

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Yep - as I suspected, the games use a huge amount of network data as well. I am sure Microsoft is using these games as a covert way of crowd processing. Very clever.

Don't use these games over a metered connection, they will eat your data up.

God bless

Andrew

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I did wonder if it was accessing my network. What on Earth can it be uploading though that would rinse my battery so quickly? I tried it without WiFi, it was very warm, very quickly. Aghast at the heat, it clearly is hammering the processor. But why? Something fishy here. Quite surprised too at the fact it has not been picked up by the WPC staff, purely because the drain and heat is way more than I am used to.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
battery said my 920's battery was going at 41%/hour right after finishing a round of spider

(normal drainage 5-6%/hour)

Talk4Lig

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
For all people saying it's time to upgrade I just want to ask you are you really so stupid and retarded? Sure asphalt 8 is working fine but solitaire eats my battery, it's time for upgrade. Guess what, it's just ****ty coded, stop being a sheeps for f*ck's sake

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
For all people saying it's time to upgrade I just want to ask you are you really so stupid and retarded? Sure asphalt 8 is working fine but solitaire eats my battery, it's time for upgrade. Guess what, it's just ****ty coded, stop being a sheeps for f*ck's sake
Hey, I won't tell you to take that back, because I think it's a little off-base to just say "get new phone". My 520 and my 920 both heat up enough to fry an egg with solitaire. What i did was move on. Yes it sucks that MS own game is terrible for their own OS, but it's just the way it is. However, calling anyone "retard" is really degrading to those who are *actually* mentally retarded. So I'm respectfully asking you to not say that. You can call them mindless f*ckfaces, clich? bags of sh*t which spew out what others think, I don't care. Just don't use "retarded" like that. Please?

Ninja edit: car -> care

Talk4Lig

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I won't tell you to take that back, because I think it's a little off-base to just say "get new phone". My 520 and my 920 both heat up enough to fry an egg with solitaire. What i did was move on. Yes it sucks that MS own game is terrible for their own OS, but it's just the way it is. However, calling anyone "retard" is really degrading to those who are *actually* mentally retarded. So I'm respectfully asking you to not say that. You can call them mindless f*ckfaces, clich? bags of sh*t which spew out what others think, I don't care. Just don't use "retarded" like that. Please?

Ninja edit: car -> care

Sorry but reading all these posts made me pretty angry, like seriously, you got a new phone because of solitaire? And did it even worked better after?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I would, but I really fancied the achievements. As for the new phone suggestions. I certainly would not think I needed a new phone because it didn't play Solitaire.if it stopped working as a phone, then fair enough. I always have Alphajax to fall back on.p

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would, but I really fancied the achievements. As for the new phone suggestions. I certainly would not think I needed a new phone because it didn't play Solitaire.if it stopped working as a phone, then fair enough. I always have Alphajax to fall back on.p

I think I should upgrade to my Treo
Solitaire works great there

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I never much liked Alphajax. Have you played Wordament?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720