Gaming on Windows Phone in 2014

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello to all WPCentralers!

I have been Windows Phone through and through since the earliest of days of WP7: I've tested almost every Xbox title for Windows Phone, and always give a shot to most of the popular indie titles on the Store. This brings me to today. January 20th, 2014. There really is a lot to talk about.

We still haven't seen a big push from first party developers. Developers like Kiloo, who I would imagine have been paid or "greatly encouraged" by Microsoft to develop for the platform, isn't really a true indication. The only developer and publisher who I can say has really given it their all, is Gameloft. Whilst they had a bad reputation for "plonking apps on WP and never updating them" early on in WP7, they've seriously lifted their game. they've ported and optimised pretty much every game over to WP, provided on-par updates (normally we get updates within 2-3 weeks of the other platforms) and not to mention, the great work of Gameloft_Ryan and other Gameloft staff who have given up their time to answer literally any query or issue under the sun. Hats off to Gameloft.

To sum up: What do you think needs to happen with Gaming on Windows Phone? Where do you think it is headed? What is your thoughts on Xbox Integration?

Please reply below: I would love to hear from you all regarding Gaming in the year ahead for our platform.

Kind Regards to all,

Chris (Kyriacou48)

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Xbox integration is good but people avoiding games just because its not Xbox is plain ridiculous. I remember playing Mario in my childhood days and had a hell lot of fun with it. It didn't have achievements but millions and millions of people loved it. And i could still play it and feel the same. Achievement are good but good games are what we should be obsessed about.

Last edited:

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree KrisJoeEll. Xbox integration is great, but I know of people who are putting off playing Asphalt 8 and Dungeon Hunter 4, just because they aren't Xbox Integrated. both of those games are optimised on the platform and in fact, Dungeon Hunter 4 is pinned to my start screen since I play it (even if it's for 10 minutes) almost every day. WP Gamers just need to play all games that are good on our platform and games that deserve our attention. I would almost say that first party developers who are unfamiliar with the platform would be completely confused on what route they should take: I would rather see non-Xbox games that are largely popular on other platforms like GTA SA or Candy Crush Saga (not a fan of CCS but I know it is in high demand) then wait a year and have Xbox integration - and i'm sure many others would agree.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree KrisJoeEll. Xbox integration is great, but I know of people who are putting off playing Asphalt 8 and Dungeon Hunter 4, just because they aren't Xbox Integrated. both of those games are optimised on the platform and in fact, Dungeon Hunter 4 is pinned to my start screen since I play it (even if it's for 10 minutes) almost every day. WP Gamers just need to play all games that are good on our platform and games that deserve our attention. I would almost say that first party developers who are unfamiliar with the platform would be completely confused on what route they should take: I would rather see non-Xbox games that are largely popular on other platforms like GTA SA or Candy Crush Saga (not a fan of CCS but I know it is in high demand) then wait a year and have Xbox integration - and i'm sure many others would agree.

True. Asphalt 8 is currently my favorite game on WP and Halo SA comes second. In my opinion Devs should focus on bringing games and updates as fast as they do it in other platforms. Xbox integration could only slow it down.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there are many people who disagree and will say "Xbox integration made me buy a Windows Phone in the first place". That was actually me - I bought an Omnia 7 so I could get achievements for all my games. Great, right? No. I play good, high quality and addictive games on my Windows Phone because of that reason - not because of achievements. Circumstances change and I just don't think Xbox Integration does enough nowadays. If we look at Game Center for iOS, it's great but for the most part, it's only great because of it's integration with social networks. if Xbox on Windows Phone integrated with Facebook, I'd love it a lot more.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest issue is, Xbox for Windows Phone ties in way too closely to Xbox Game Consoles. Whilst it's fantastic that you can earn achievements on the go, what about casual mobile gamers and gamers who don't own an Xbox? It leaves them in the dark and as I said in my last reply, Xbox for Windows Phone could have the option to tie in with Facebook and other Social Networks to connect with friends. In a perfect world, I suppose. This is one of those things I hope Microsoft stumble across, and it could just save Xbox for WP altogether.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
There is also another issue. Fake and misguiding apps/games are filling up the store And some of them even puts price-tags on! I have a lot of oblivious users pay and download them and get angry at Microsoft and WP. Its funny and sad at the same time.

Amir Shelef

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea what's going on in the apple's store, but the Android's Play Store is filled with these things. especially before/when major app is missing(for example before temple run 2 released on android, the store was FULL with fake apps that some cost money) , users just need to see what they are downloading.

Gameloft_Ryan

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea what's going on in the apple's store, but the Android's Play Store is filled with these things. especially before/when major app is missing(for example before temple run 2 released on android, the store was FULL with fake apps that some cost money) , users just need to see what they are downloading.

This has definitely happened with some of our big releases before they appear on the store. As a player, just make sure you read everything including the title, Developer name and also the reviews. If things seems fishy after that, it's safe to assume you should either avoid the app or do some research to make sure the game you think you're getting is out.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree Ryan. The developer/publisher name is always a big giveaway. Furthermore, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. One big example is Candy Crush Saga. So many fake versions of this app floating on the store..

Anyway, a bit off topic. What do you all see for Gaming on Windows Phone in 2014? As in, where do you think it is headed? I really want to see the push for big titles to always come to Windows Phone. I'm fanatical about it. One thought to keep with you though: EA is dead to WP in my honest opinion. FIFA 14 is likely to never come to Windows Phone. The reason I got when I asked an EA Rep was "There simply isn't enough demand and demographic for us to release our games - if the operating system grows, you may see more releases in the future" - which I think, is a silly comment. WP has grown to be the established third choice for Smartphone users. How much more do we have to grow? The Windows Phone team at Microsoft has brought over Unity and allowed for native code yet you are still complaining about spending a week or two to port the game across? These are the sorts of issues I would like to see addressed this year.

Gameloft_Ryan

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree Ryan. The developer/publisher name is always a big giveaway. Furthermore, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. One big example is Candy Crush Saga. So many fake versions of this app floating on the store..

Anyway, a bit off topic. What do you all see for Gaming on Windows Phone in 2014? As in, where do you think it is headed?

I think Windows Phone gaming is headed in a good direction, at least from a Gameloft perspective. We've got a full lineup of games coming in 2014 and we are working on reducing the time that updates hit across all big platforms (Windows, Android and iOS). I also think that with Microsoft's heavy involvement with console gaming, it's only natural that Windows Phone gaming keeps getting better and better over time. I personally am really excited!

EDIT: Also, thanks for the kind words in your initial post. I appreciate it and have saved it for my reviews haha! Gotta impress the bosses (;

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Guys, Care to make a list of games which are not as popular as Asphalt, Real Racing or Candy crush but well made and engaging as them?
Like, Bravura: Quest Rush from Digital Tales
Jurassic Park™ Builder from Ludia Inc
...and discuss how we can make the Devs port them to WP8?

Usama Jawad96

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Gaming is headed in a good direction,lack of xbl titles is a bit disappointing but I am not one of those who say that "no Xbox,no buy".though it must be noted that major xbl games were and can be essential for further growth of wp.i would be much happier if we received more major games like candy crush , we see more support for 512mb ram support at launch day,along with an Xbox game every month in 2014.also gameloft Ryan,thank you for your support,and I wish you bring all your major titles to wp at the same tome they are launched on Android and iOS so we donot feel left out. :)

Gameloft_Ryan

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
also gameloft Ryan,thank you for your support,and I wish you bring all your major titles to wp at the same tome they are launched on Android and iOS so we donot feel left out. :)

Haha! We are definitely working on closing the gap for release dates across the board. That'll translate over nicely to Windows for both launches and updates. We love our Windows fans!

Gameloft_Ryan

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello Gameloft Ryan! :) I would like to ask if you know when will Gameloft release DANGER DASH?

So Danger Dash is still headed to Windows. The way it'll work out is it'll be included on some devices when people purchase them and it's going to be part of bundle of games basically. Some of the details are still being worked out but it sounds like the bundle will be coming this Spring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077