The war on Flappy Bird clones and the general stagnation of innovation

Zekko

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm an avid gamer on PC and have a great interest in gaming in general. Yet, I am sorely disappointed in the state of the current mobile games market. Where the PC market is thriving with original concepts and daring indie developers looking for the next big innovative mechanic, the mobile market is dominated by tasteless clones of existing games on one side (which were often atrocious to begin with - I'm looking at you, Flappy Bird) and big studios cashing in through horribly unfair IAPs on the other. This leaves the few proper games on the market somewhere in the abyss of practically unfindable games that were never promoted and are long forgotten. This leaves gamers like us to dredge through the swamp of mediocrity for ages with only a sliver of hope of striking gold and finding that one interesting, innovative game in the depths of the app market.

Now don't get me wrong - there are plenty of good games out there on WP8, but almost none of them try to innovate in any way. Mirror's Edge on WP8 is a great runner, but it's still your run-of-the-mill runner. What I'm looking for is games like Rymdkapsel on Android: games that try something new, regardless of the quality of the execution. I'm not disappointed that there still aren't any playable RTS games on mobile devices, I'm disappointed that barely anybody has tried.

I feel the mobile platform has a HUGE amount of potential for innovative new game concepts, but so far I've seen only a handful of developers try to grasp at this potential. Heck, it's part of why I've gotten into game development as a hobby myself (shameless self-promotion: search for 'Octy' in the market).

Do you agree? If so, please post any hidden gems you have ever found here! This would help starting developer who actually have new concepts for their games to be noticed more easily. Incidentally, if you're a developer who is trying to make a new concept work, I'd love to see what you're working on and provide feedback where I can.

I know there are several different threads out there where people exchange games they've found, but most of those are just good versions of existing concepts (Mirror's Edge, Bejeweled clones, Tower Defense games, etc.). What I'm looking for is new concepts, preferably things which are more suited to a mobile platform than PC or a console.

tl;dr Flappy Bird clones are dumb. Looking for innovative new concepts.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Correction, it's 52 and counting. I wish Microsoft went with Google and Apple on rejecting apps on those clone apps.

Apologies to the original poster, but I have to complain about the lack of moderation on the app store. I hit the 'New & Rising' section only to be pummeled with Flappy bird BS. This is ridiculous. We don't have an app store, we have a pile of **** that good apps get buried in. I wouldn't develop for the windows app store; too much lost revenue with clones and copycats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923