09-19-2014 04:31 PM
112 12345
tools
    Cool ... thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I'm definitely working on it. Last week I added 3 new characters ... a Dwarven Stone Priest (earth mage / cleric), a human Guard (fights at range with a halberd ... need a better class name), and a female gladiator (fights with a sword, shield and javelin). Working on the character selection screen at the moment.

Before working fully on that game though, I'm just trying to get Gun Frenzy to a point that I'm happy with. It's good though because I'm learning a lot about mobile development versus PC / Desktop development from Gun Frenzy ... and I'm going to use those lessons in the action RPG. For example, by getting Gun Frenzy to work on 512 MB devices, I'm confident that the action RPG will also work on those devices.

I'm trying to figure out how to have a workable inventory in the phone version since the graphics would be so small ... it would barely be visible. That will probably be the biggest challenge with that game ... having a UI that actually scales properly from phone screen to desktop.
    07-24-2014 07:44 AM
    I for one would like it to have a slightly weaker gun with unlimited ammo. And maybe you could increase the number of bullets the clip can hold. ;)
    When you say larger clips, are you referring to the ammo on the weapon pick ups? If so ... I'm making that change in the next update. I realized from feedback that ammo clips on the special weapons was way too small.
    07-24-2014 07:46 AM
    A preview of the new flame thrower in action:

flamethrower-2.png

The sci-fi weapons are really powerful but slightly rarer than the older ones.
    07-24-2014 07:48 AM
    When you say larger clips, are you referring to the ammo on the weapon pick ups? If so ... I'm making that change in the next update. I realized from feedback that ammo clips on the special weapons was way too small.
    That's what I was referring to, yes. :) Great to hear you're changing it. I found myself forced to reload in midfight ever so often. I'm not a pro gamer though. :)
    07-24-2014 07:49 AM
    Making the ammo on the pistols infinite is proving to be a bit tricky ... I think I might just make them much bigger for now. Made the pistol ammo clips hold around 100 bullets. Should be in the next update.
    07-24-2014 09:01 AM
    Hi, I spent a bit of time today playing with the lighting settings on the first level. Can you please let me know if you think this darker light setting is an improvement or not? I think it looks really good but I want to get some feedback before making the same changes across all the other levels.

new-colours-2.pngnew-colours.png
    SammyD97 likes this.
    07-24-2014 02:31 PM
    [QUOTE=WaveLightGames;2661791]Hi, I spent a bit of time today playing with the lighting settings on the first level. Can you please let me know if you think this darker light setting is an improvement or not? I think it looks really good but I want to get some feedback before making the same changes across all the other levels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Colours 2.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	300.9 KB 
ID:	73131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Colours.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	73132

Kinda hard to tell from screenshots, I'd need to see it in action. The left one is looking good for me, but the right one appears a little too dark.
    WaveLightGames likes this.
    07-24-2014 02:35 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I've played around with it a bit more and have a slightly brighter version. I'll post up some screenshots of it tomorrow. It's a big deal because the process of baking these lights is something that takes a couple hours per level .... so once I start, I have to commit to doing it for all levels. I really like the look though ... so I'm definitely leaning towards it.
    07-24-2014 06:46 PM
    Just pushed out a new update that drastically improves graphics on low memory devices and adds 6 new sci fi weapons. Should be available for download in an hour or two. Please let me know how you like it.

Working on the new lighting graphics. Found ways to optimize graphics even further with these settings so the next version should be a much smaller download and (I think) run even faster. Also, I'm going to add some more variety to the levels so that most levels will have walls / rooms rather than be open arenas. Next update will be a big one ... should be done some time next week.
    07-25-2014 12:24 PM
    Update is available now. :)
    Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro2_299 using Tapatalk
    07-25-2014 01:01 PM
    thanks for the heads up.

I'm noticing that the laser / plasma shots on the new weapons are causing a bit of a performance hit as compared to other weapons. I'm going to look into making those a bit smoother in the next update or just replace them with new effects.
    07-25-2014 03:36 PM
    Converting over to these new light settings is a lot more efficient than my previous lighting settings. I've converted over 7 of the 28 levels and doing that reduced the download file size by 100 MB! So now it looks better and is now a ~400MB download. I'm hoping that converting over the remaining 21+ levels will further reduce the file size. I'm pretty sure it should. :)
    07-26-2014 08:38 AM
    I'd like to kindly ask for a crosshair please. :) I always have some issues when trying to aim at the enemies. I often miss them by a few pixels. Having a crosshair that indicates the direction where the character is aiming would be very helpful.
    07-27-2014 05:52 AM
    I'd like to kindly ask for a crosshair please. :) I always have some issues when trying to aim at the enemies. I often miss them by a few pixels. Having a crosshair that indicates the direction where the character is aiming would be very helpful.
    Hmmm ... I hadn't considered adding a crosshair to the mobile version. There is a crosshair on the Windows 8 store version but that only works with mouse controls. I'll look into whether I can setup a crosshair for the touch screen controls.

Another option would be for me to just make hitting the enemies easier on the phone version. That would be a very quick thing to do .... and it would simply mean that while the enemies wouldn't appear any bigger, the invisible area around them where a bullet counts as a hit if it touches would be bigger. Essentially, you wouldn't have to aim as well but would still score hits. I believe a lot of mobile games do this ... because it is much harder to use touch screen controls on a small screen as compared to the precision you get on a computer with a mouse. For people that don't want it, I can just have it apply on the Easy setting (which the mobile version defaults to anyway).

A couple of questions for you guys:

1 - I enabled moving and shooting a while ago. Do you guys use this option and is it good / bad?

2 - Is it clear that the shooting touch stick is actually a touch stick control or do people instinctively think of it as a button? Is how to aim with the shooting touch stick clear or did it take you a while to figure it out? Any suggesions on how I can make it clearer if it isnt' clear?

I ask because I do still get the occasional bad review about the controls ... but to me the controls are pretty decent. I'm wondering if perhaps it's just not clear that the game uses dual touch stick controls similar to Halo rather than the usual tap an enemy to shoot it or press a shooting button to shoot.
    07-27-2014 08:27 AM
    Also, I've figured out how to make infinite ammo for the pistol. That will be in the next release. I now need a new icon though since the roll / reload button is now only going to be used for doing a roll and I don't have a dedicated "rolling" icon. Man ... I wish I had an artist. The joys of being a one man development house. :)
    07-27-2014 08:28 AM
    One more question .... do you guys use the temporary Boosts much? Do they make the game more enjoyable or just too easy? I'm thinking of allowing players to get a free boost by clicking a button that will show a full screen ad. Would that be something you guys would like?
    07-27-2014 08:30 AM
    I experimented with having some larger projectiles to make aiming easier and it seems to work very nicely. A lot easier to hit the bad guys and allows you to move and shoot more easily since you don't have to so precise to score a hit. Great suggestion ... many thanks!
    07-27-2014 11:58 PM
    Also, quick status update ... I'm just over half way through redoing the lighting in all the levels. Download size is now in the low 300 MB range. Also, I've added much better looking and much smoother shooting effects on the new, futuristic weapons. The next update will also include some new musical tracks to add some more variety in the back ground music. I've also found what I think is yet another way to optimize the graphics so if it works, performance should be a bit better again.
    07-28-2014 12:02 AM
    Thanks for implementing bigger hitboxes. :) I still would like to have a crosshair though. Gives me more confidence in rather hectic situations. :D But larger hitboxes are already a great step towards convenient gameplay.
    Regarding temporary boosts. Tbh, I've never ever used one. And this applies to pretty much all the games I play.
    07-28-2014 08:37 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. Boosts haven't been a big seller ... only 2 sold since they were released. I'm really struggling on the monetization front ... I'm going to try to add google ads but if those don't work, then I might have to change it to so that levels after 7 are locked. I'll make it so that any in-app purchase (except boosts) will unlock those levels so that anyone that has already made an in-app purchase won't be affected. The reason I wouldn't be able to put boosts in that category is that they are handled differently by the Microsoft code in the back-end as they are "consumables" and the others are "non-consumable".

Anyway, next update is making good progress. I'm about 70% through redoing the lighting and the download size is now around 230 MB. Sci fi guns have new particle effects that are a lot more efficient and don't cause the slowdown that the current ones do. Hit boxes on shooting objects has also gotten bigger. I've also updated most of the wide open levels so that they aren't so dull and have more rooms, corridors and wall sections.

Things still to do before next release:

1 - Add more background music
    2 - Try to add a targeting cursor (not sure if I can do this )
    3 - Finish the lighting updates on remaining levels.
    4 - Add infinite ammo for pistol
    5 - Continue to make early levels easier to allow people to gradually get used to the controls
    6 - Add some levels where (a) there is lots of gold but not a lot of weapons / potions and (b) there are loads of guns but no potions
    07-29-2014 07:36 AM
    As long as you add an in app purchase to remove ads, I'm okay with it. ;) Or will the already available in app purchases remove ads as well?
    07-29-2014 07:39 AM
    Yep ... that's what I was thinking. Just add the "Unlock All Levels" to all of the existing in-app purchases. So if you've buy either the "remove ads", "extra equipment" or "extra life / starting weapon", you also unlock all levels. Anyone that's already purchased one of those 3 will also have all levels unlocked and won't notice any difference.

We'll see ... I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm also going to experiment with some other ad networks and see if there are any that can actually generate some money. Microsoft's ad network has been very disappointing. If they want to actually compete in that space, they need to really pick up their game for just buy someone else who's doing a better job.
    07-30-2014 06:03 AM
    I've heard good things about AdDuplex. Not sure though if it's gonna work out for you.
    Why not restrict the free version to a couple of levels and offer a full paid version on the store?
    Or what about upgradable weapons? Take a look at Gunfinger, it has quite a good system, that certainly generates good revenue.
    07-30-2014 06:06 AM
    Regarding a free and paid version. Isn't it easier to have one version and then unlock all the levels with an in-app purchase? Or perhaps have one version and have it use a trial that only lets you play the first few levels? I've never quite understood why Halo had a full version and a free version with 1 level. Is there actually a benefit to that approach?
    07-30-2014 09:08 PM
    Regarding a free and paid version. Isn't it easier to have one version and then unlock all the levels with an in-app purchase? Or perhaps have one version and have it use a trial that only lets you play the first few levels? I've never quite understood why Halo had a full version and a free version with 1 level. Is there actually a benefit to that approach?
    Tbh, I don't get why people put out 2 versions of the same app either. That doesn't make much sense. What I was referring to is having a single version that has a trial. The trial is somewhat limited compared to the paid version.
    07-31-2014 02:01 AM
112 12345