07-16-2014 06:55 PM
30 12
tools
    I used Unity 3D as my game development engine. If you know how to use Unity 3D and C# (or Javescript), you can do 99% of what you need to publish a game for multiple platforms (Android, iOS, Windows Store, Blackberry, etc.). There are other game engines that allow you to make games without knowing any code. For example, Unreal Engine 4 has a visual coding editor called "Blueprints" that allows you make pretty decent games without knowing any code but it doesn't support deployment to the Windows Store or Windows Phone yet.
    Thanks for the tips, I think I'll take a look into it cheers
    07-16-2014 03:02 PM
    No prob ... if you're just starting out, I would recommend Unreal Engine 4. It's a lot cheaper than Unity 3D for an indie ... I kind of wished I had started with it but I've done too much work to switch systems now.
    Detectionable likes this.
    07-16-2014 04:34 PM
    Actually I have never got any further into app developing than setting up Eclipse / Android SDK etc, then realised that trying to learn and create at the same time was near impossible on my own

I have no coding background at all, none at all, which was why I was interested in how you managed it, but that also means that I don't really want to start paying for anything until I know I am going to be able to use it and at least break even to begin with

Can you still create apps for WP / Droid with the free version of Unity3d ?
    07-16-2014 04:55 PM
    Yeah, you can but it's really limited. If cost is your concern, I would recommend just paying the $20 monthly fee once for the Unreal engine and then cancelling. You can still use the software and only really need to continue the subscription when you need an update from them. It's a lot cheaper than using Unity free to make your game and then realizing you need to buy the full version (which costs several thousand dollars) to complete it. Unity free is technically possible to make games but it's really hard to make anything good because so many of its features are locked into the Pro version. Also, you can't do anything in Unity without coding whereas you can in Unreal using their Blueprints system.
    Detectionable likes this.
    07-16-2014 05:28 PM
    I remember hearing about that $20 one-off Unreal fee now you mention it, thanks

Yea, I think I'm gonna set some time aside and force myself to learn, the problem with Eclipse and Droid developing was that even following tutorials to the letter, using the exact same version software as the video was using, the result on my machine was different to the result in the video, and having no experience, I had no way of knowing why, other than watching other videos and reading comments under the videos, which got tiresome quickly, but if Unreal requires no coding, that's perfect
    07-16-2014 06:55 PM
30 12