05-28-2015 09:18 AM
180 12345 ...
tools
    Yeah, I'm noticing that too. Have you tried more than once? I find that sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't .... I need to do some debugging to figure out the root cause of the issue. I suspect it's a memory constraint so I'm working on optimizing those levels first and then see if that fixes it.

Yeah it is crashing every time as soon as I click on new game
    Pls fix d prob I want play d game
    08-08-2014 11:37 AM
    Yeah, I think it's a memory issue. The game is super unstable at the moment on my 920. I think what I'll do is focus on optimization steps now rather than add any new stuff. It will take me a few days though as optimizing memory management in these games is slow, painful work. I have to search through every file the game is using and make sure that the file is fully compressed and that every audio file is streaming from the disk rather than being loaded into memory. Then I'll need to reduce the polygon count on the 3D models as most of the ones at the moment are designed more for PC / Desktop and not mobile. Then I'll need to see if it's still so unstable and will then need to run the debugger logs to identify if there's some error in my script causing it to crash. No fun ... but at least once it's done and stable, we can get back to the fun game design aspects. :)
    08-08-2014 11:57 AM

Its works on d 3rd attempt
    WaveLightGames likes this.
    08-08-2014 11:59 AM
    Cool ... I ran the game in debug mode in Visual Studio and can confirm that most of the crashes are due to memory issues. I need to optimize things heavily, especially if I want it to run reliably on 512MB devices. Will work on it and will update you guys. Next update will be the optimized version ... we can check stability for a while and then I'll work on adding new things.

The character selection screen is especially nasty as it loads all 16 current characters into memory at one time so I'm going to have to rethink the design of that or (more likely) make the character models take up way less memory.
    08-08-2014 12:39 PM
    By the way, don't worry about playing around with it ... I think it'll just frustrate you. Let me do the optimization steps and I'll post up an updated version.
    08-08-2014 12:41 PM
    Yeah, sure thing ... just send me your Microsoft ID via Pm and I'll add you to the next update.
    How frequent are the updates? My eagerness is getting to me. :)
    08-08-2014 02:05 PM
    Well, once I get the game stable, updates should be coming two or three times a week. However, getting the game stable is going to be a bit of task so the next release might be a few days, I'm afraid. Give me some time just to get it running reasonably well ... otherwise, you'll probably just get annoyed as the game will crash every 5 minutes. Sorry about that.
    08-08-2014 02:10 PM
    Looked into my build logs and it seems that around 46% of the game's build size is taken up my animation files. I haven't seen that before when I was optimizing Gun Frenzy. I'm pretty sure animation files sit in the game's RAM too so could be a reason why the out of memory crashes are happening. I chose one of the objects and deleted some unused animations and that reduced the build size so I think I'll need to delete unused animations as well as part of optimization for this game.
    08-08-2014 02:14 PM
    HI, I'm Interested for testing, can you add me up as well? Since I don't really have any experience of the game, I'll send my feedback after testing. I'm thinking of looking into having the characters more variaties and also multiple character combos? what you think? completely not sure here since again, haven't experience the game. It'll be sweet if you add me up. Thanks!
    08-08-2014 02:22 PM
    Sure thing ... I'll add you for the next release.

In terms of the game combos, building an effective team combo is really important. That's why I'm adding 18 character types and making the player choose 6. It'll be key to make a team that has good melee guys, support guys, magic users and such. I'm going to try and design it so that going all melee or all support will be tougher to play and not optimal.
    08-08-2014 03:11 PM
    HI, I'm Interested for testing, can you add me up as well? Since I don't really have any experience of the game, I'll send my feedback after testing. I'm thinking of looking into having the characters more variaties and also multiple character combos? what you think? completely not sure here since again, haven't experience the game. It'll be sweet if you add me up. Thanks!
    Please send me a PM with your Microsoft ID. I'll need that to give you beta access when I do the next release. Thanks,
    08-08-2014 03:13 PM
    First round of animation stripping seems to have had a good effect .... reduced RAM usage by about 30MB. Memory usage for the bigger scenes and gameplay scenes are around 195 to 205 MB RAM. Not bad for a 1GB device but still too much for a 512MB device. I'll continue working through and see what else I can do.
    08-08-2014 03:31 PM
    Some more good news ... apparently, reducing the polygon count of my 3d characters will reduce RAM usage at runtime. I had done this step in my last game, Gun Frenzy, but I hadn't gotten to that stage with this game yet. So I should be able to get a good performance boost once I do that step as well.
    08-08-2014 03:39 PM
    Does the characters have some kind of skill tree?
    Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk
    08-09-2014 04:42 AM
    Yes ... they each have 6 special abilities that they can perform such as spells for the wizard classes, special attacks for the fighters and so on. Those abilities require a certain number of action points to perform. Each character starts a level with his maximum number of action points and replenishes a random number of points each turn (min / max value per turn). The six special skills will require progressively more action points so that a level 1 character might only be able to perform 1 or 2 skills and will have to rise up in level (and thus increase their max number of action points) to be able to pull off the more powerful abilities.

That being said, this system won't use a tree per say ... there won't be any choice between which skills to choose. With 18 character classes, I think there's sufficient replayability without needing to make branches for upgrades of each character.
    Miska Hietala likes this.
    08-09-2014 06:42 AM
    Yes ... they each have 6 special abilities that they can perform such as spells for the wizard classes, special attacks for the fighters and so on. Those abilities require a certain number of action points to perform. Each character starts a level with his maximum number of action points and replenishes a random number of points each turn (min / max value per turn). The six special skills will require progressively more action points so that a level 1 character might only be able to perform 1 or 2 skills and will have to rise up in level (and thus increase their max number of action points) to be able to pull off the more powerful abilities.

That being said, this system won't use a tree per say ... there won't be any choice between which skills to choose. With 18 character classes, I think there's sufficient replayability without needing to make branches for upgrades of each character.

Makes sense, but having a skill tree is a must for any good RPG, as players can specialize their characters. I'd definitely vote for it. :D
    08-09-2014 06:46 AM
    It's a good point. I may be able to add a variety of abilities but I think it will just add too much complexity given that I'm aiming for a very large number of character classes and trying to have the focus be about building a cohesive party as opposed to building interesting individuals. One of the elements that will be there is a magical item / inventory system. It's in there at the moment but not working fully yet. Each character will have 9 equipment slots that they can use to customize / tailor their stats.

One of the things I have to be very careful about is falling into the trap of making things too complicated or trying to add too many features. It's something that a lot of RPG makers (actually all game makers) fall into. I want to focus on (1) enjoyable gameplay / balanced game mechanics (2) interesting story and (3) good graphics / sound / atmosphere on even low-end mobile devices. I want to achieve those 3 things and still release the game some time this year. That being said, I haven't gotten to the Level Up / Experience component yet so I'm not going to rule it out but I'm definitely leaning towards doing something simple first.
    08-09-2014 08:26 AM
    Did some more testing and have a version that is stable on my 920 .... so should be stable on any 1GB or 2GB device. Working on more optimizations that will hopefully both reduce download size and make it stable on 512MB devices.
    08-10-2014 07:53 AM
    Quick update ... just plowing through the optimization work. Reducing polygons on all the 3D characters to reduce their performance hit and memory usage. Just had my computer crash on me so lost about 2 hours of work this morning. Utterly demotivating ... I hate redoing work.
    08-11-2014 09:34 AM
    Almost done optimizing the existing characters and animations. Should have an updated release today that will run smoothly on 1GB devices and will hopefully run well on 512MB devices. No new levels but will have a couple of new characters (centaur and working Halberdier) as well.
    08-11-2014 11:21 AM
    Is there item farming included? I like an RPG when there is a lot of LOOT 😉 btw, how can I get to beta?
    08-11-2014 01:03 PM
    Building and testing the updated version now for my 920. Will release later today. Once released, I'm eager to hear from anyone with a 512MB device to know if it runs on that or not.
    08-11-2014 01:44 PM
    Is there item farming included? I like an RPG when there is a lot of LOOT btw, how can I get to beta?
    Not too sure what you mean by farming .... if you mean killing stuff and getting equipment and gold, then yes. There's an inventory system, 9 equipment slots per character, 16 backpack slots per character (to carry stuff that's not being equipped) and a shop system to buy / sell equipment. Most of that was working in an earlier build but I did some stuff to break the functionality so I need to go back and fix it.

I'll add you to the beta ... or I should say "alpha" at the moment because it really is still very early. PM me your Microsoft ID if you haven't already.
    Miska Hietala likes this.
    08-11-2014 01:47 PM
    Ran my first tests on the optimized build (next release) on my 920 and it looks good. The debugger states I never go over 160MB RAM usage so there shouldn't be any memory crashes even on 512MB RAM devices. I'll do the master build and submit. Playtesters will get an email link. I'll expand the list of testers to include everyone that has PM'd me since the last release.
    dKp1977 likes this.
    08-11-2014 02:14 PM
    Ran my first tests on the optimized build (next release) on my 920 and it looks good. The debugger states I never go over 160MB RAM usage so there shouldn't be any memory crashes even on 512MB RAM devices. I'll do the master build and submit. Playtesters will get an email link. I'll expand the list of testers to include everyone that has PM'd me since the last release.

Your pace is unbelievable. You're a machine. :) I'm really grateful for all the effort you put into developing for WP and Windows. Thank you very much. :)
    WaveLightGames likes this.
    08-11-2014 02:17 PM
180 12345 ...