[Blog Post] Upcoming WP8 / W8 RPG - Demon's Bane

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Any thoughts on adding a "Dwarfen Golem" as a playable character class? It would be another big bruiser type of fighter but with the ability to regenerate itself and power itself up with it's abilities.

Toan Le

May 20, 2014
Visit site
A golem sounds good. I'm positive to the self-buffing fighter idea 😎. But I think it's better called "golem" than "dwarven golem", because dwarf and golem are two separate races.

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm noticing that too. Have you tried more than once? I find that sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't .... I need to do some debugging to figure out the root cause of the issue. I suspect it's a memory constraint so I'm working on optimizing those levels first and then see if that fixes it.

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
A golem sounds good. I'm positive to the self-buffing fighter idea . But I think it's better called "golem" than "dwarven golem", because dwarf and golem are two separate races.

Cool .... I was thinking of having dwarves be the guys that built the golems in the background. Though that is a tad clich?d so perhaps not.

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm noticing that too. Have you tried more than once? I find that sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't .... I need to do some debugging to figure out the root cause of the issue. I suspect it's a memory constraint so I'm working on optimizing those levels first and then see if that fixes it.

Yeah it is crashing every time as soon as I click on new game
Pls fix d prob I want play d game

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I think it's a memory issue. The game is super unstable at the moment on my 920. I think what I'll do is focus on optimization steps now rather than add any new stuff. It will take me a few days though as optimizing memory management in these games is slow, painful work. I have to search through every file the game is using and make sure that the file is fully compressed and that every audio file is streaming from the disk rather than being loaded into memory. Then I'll need to reduce the polygon count on the 3D models as most of the ones at the moment are designed more for PC / Desktop and not mobile. Then I'll need to see if it's still so unstable and will then need to run the debugger logs to identify if there's some error in my script causing it to crash. No fun ... but at least once it's done and stable, we can get back to the fun game design aspects. :)

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
pu6ude4y.png

Its works on d 3rd attempt

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Cool ... I ran the game in debug mode in Visual Studio and can confirm that most of the crashes are due to memory issues. I need to optimize things heavily, especially if I want it to run reliably on 512MB devices. Will work on it and will update you guys. Next update will be the optimized version ... we can check stability for a while and then I'll work on adding new things.

The character selection screen is especially nasty as it loads all 16 current characters into memory at one time so I'm going to have to rethink the design of that or (more likely) make the character models take up way less memory.

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, once I get the game stable, updates should be coming two or three times a week. However, getting the game stable is going to be a bit of task so the next release might be a few days, I'm afraid. Give me some time just to get it running reasonably well ... otherwise, you'll probably just get annoyed as the game will crash every 5 minutes. Sorry about that.

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Looked into my build logs and it seems that around 46% of the game's build size is taken up my animation files. I haven't seen that before when I was optimizing Gun Frenzy. I'm pretty sure animation files sit in the game's RAM too so could be a reason why the out of memory crashes are happening. I chose one of the objects and deleted some unused animations and that reduced the build size so I think I'll need to delete unused animations as well as part of optimization for this game.

Ceejay1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
HI, I'm Interested for testing, can you add me up as well? Since I don't really have any experience of the game, I'll send my feedback after testing. I'm thinking of looking into having the characters more variaties and also multiple character combos? what you think? completely not sure here since again, haven't experience the game. It'll be sweet if you add me up. Thanks!

WaveLightGames

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Sure thing ... I'll add you for the next release.

In terms of the game combos, building an effective team combo is really important. That's why I'm adding 18 character types and making the player choose 6. It'll be key to make a team that has good melee guys, support guys, magic users and such. I'm going to try and design it so that going all melee or all support will be tougher to play and not optimal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720