DVD Upscaling?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi dudes, was just wondering if anyone knew if the HD add-on drive for the 360 upscales DVDs? I'm in a bit of a dilemma... my PS3 upscales nicely, but the fan kicks in after 5 minutes and sounds like the thing is going to take off and fly out of the window. The Xbox, on the other hand, is as quiet as a mouse, but doesn't upscale at the moment.... irritating fan noise or poorer picture quality....

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It does indeed Big Supes. (Used to have one in the olden days) ;)

Poor HD DVD R.I.P. :(

Doesn't the normal console drive already do this though Big Supes ?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
See, I thought it did, but I can assure you that there is a big difference between the Xbox and PS3 in PQ. I just came to the conclusion that the 360 doesn't upscale without the HD drive...

Thanks for the help, Weebear. Fingers crossed I can fetch a HD drive on the cheap since their demise.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

SebasCvdB

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe your PS3 needs a good "Blowout" too much dust inside, I watch DVD's on my "Phat" PS3 just fine... Xbox Upscales but in my opinion (No not ******) the ps3 just does a better job at it.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The PS3 and XBox get a regular going over with the hoover nozzle. I'd be surprised if it's dust causing this issue. Speaking to others online, I've found that quite a few other people with the George Foreman edition PS3 also suffer from the dreaded fan noise. Maybe I'll take it to my friends workshop to blow it out with the air line just to be sure.

The PS3 upscaling is far superior in quality. I've taken numerous DVDs out from the PS3 (due to the fan issue) and put them in the Xbox to be shocked by the difference in quality.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I can vouch for the HD DVD add on having good upscaling capabilities. My last one died the other day but I think you can find them on Ebay even with a collection of HD DVDs for not much money. I think I paid 10 quid delivered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo