XBOX One controller

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The first thing woudl bother me. I like the idea of using my smartphone charger plugged into my wall or PC to charge my controller, because I don't know that the cable will be long enough to get from my console to my controller. If you don't HAVE rechargeable batteries anywhere (read: they got lost), I'd spend the money on the Play & Charge over new batteries myself.

Well, I checked the prices and it seems you can get 4 rechargeable batteries and the charger for 25-30 euros or so. At least around here, most places seem to sell it the play & charge kit for 35€ or so and this would only really cover one of the controller for me. Although early on there wont be much if any split screen co-ops that I would likely play and if there was, I could for the occasion use normal batteries for the second controller.

Hmh, it seems the US Xbox-site lists the play&charge kit at 25usd, which would be like 20 euros or something.. I suppose there is nothing regional about these and I could get this stuff abroad for cheaper..

EDIT: Charging cable in the charger-kit is 9 foot/2,7m long.

I guess at 25€ or so it would be worth it over rechargeable batteries.. gotta keep my eyes peeled.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't get a chance to read every comment in the thread, but since the Xbox has WiFi direct, the system can't connect to the controller if there is no WiFi? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.

Not sure what you are asking exactly, I believe the very idea of Wifi direct is that it's capable to interacting with the devices itself, regardless of the router. So even if you used an ethernet cable, the controller would communicate with the Xbox's wifi component directly (thus.. wifi direct). That said, I'm not sure if it's wifi direct or some propretiary system..

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Major Nelson has posted on Reddit that the Xbox One controller does not use WiFi Direct. It's a proprietary connection. The WiFi Direct support is for Smartglass only.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you are asking exactly, I believe the very idea of Wifi direct is that it's capable to interacting with the devices itself, regardless of the router. So even if you used an ethernet cable, the controller would communicate with the Xbox's wifi component directly (thus.. wifi direct). That said, I'm not sure if it's wifi direct or some propretiary system..

I meant if there was NO internet connection at all.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Ah, still wouldn't make a difference. Even with laptops your WLAN stays connected to the home Network even if it had no internet access. Wifi direct doesn't use actual internet for anything to my knowledge, but like someone already confirmed, the controllers don't use wifi direct in the first Place.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah, still wouldn't make a difference. Even with laptops your WLAN stays connected to the home Network even if it had no internet access. Wifi direct doesn't use actual internet for anything to my knowledge, but like someone already confirmed, the controllers don't use wifi direct in the first Place.

What's the difference between WiFi direct and Bluetooth then?

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So I picked up a controller with Play and charge last night. The controller feels awesome in my hands and the cable is nice and long. The controller charged up pretty quick too.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why they wouldn't make the One's controllers backwards-compatible. It'd be awesome to have them (though expecting rumble trigger support is likely silly) available on my 360.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was playing with the PS4 controller at work and that thing still feels just like the PS2, extremely uncomfortable. You'd think that a console designed specifically for gaming would at least be comfortable in the hand. I don't get what Sony doesn't understand. Microsoft has done it right with the Xbox 360 controller, nothing even comes close to comfort. Now with the improvements in the Xbox One controller, it really is going to be amazing to hold!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious... In theory, I suppose you can use a phones wall charger and plug the USB play and charge kit in to charge the controller.... I guess I'm being safe, rather than sorry... I've got the controller charging via my PC's USB port.

I couldn't find anything in the documentation that tells what amperage is OK with the controller.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
One of the reviews seemed to imply that you could use any MicroUSB cable plugged to the console to turn it into a wired console, but that would require quite a bit longer cable than anything I have around here :D

Also, some review estimated like over 25 hours battery life for the controller, Polygon didn't even manage to deplete it before writing the review. Polygon was guessing this would be cos of the nifty feature of the controller going to low-power mode when Kinect detects that it's just on a table or something and not being used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad