Will the XBOX One be quiet?

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I disliked about the XBOX 360 was how noisy that thing would get, even when I was simply watching a movie on netflix or with a DVD. The PS3 was whisper quiet and while I preferred gaming on the 360, I preferred media watching on the PS3. Not sure if anyone here on the forums had a chance to see it live but I thought I'd ask anyways.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Somewhere they claimed it would a LOT quieter than the 360... Till I can play with one, I could not tell you for sure. At some point in the press statement they did talk about volume of the console, I just forget where.

I have a newer 250gb slim 360, I dont notice it too loud but, I also sit about 10-12' away from it when I play...I did notice that on my old from release 20gb whilte 360 (that went red ring of death 3 times) that it was loud after playing for a little while...

My PS3 is loud as hell. I guess each indivudual console has its own personality. lol

I dont notice the problem with my phat PS3 but, maybe it's from the distance I sit (and I have been playing a lot of "the last of us").

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think part of the bland'ish, big, boxy industrial design is probably to ensure it's quiet. The smaller you make something, the more challenge you will have cooling it. Looking at the X1, it shouldn't have any problems keeping cool. Outside cooling, the only thing that makes noise would be the bluray player, but you can eliminate pretty much all sound from that at least when gaming by installing to HDD.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't own a Wii U but from the limited exposure I've had with the device, it seemed quiet. It's also 28% of the total volume of the XBone.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The original Xbox 360 was loud. I upgraded to the Slim and it has been fairly quiet - I don't even think about sound it's so quiet (Any disc-based games I play on a regular basis have been installed though, so it helps that the disc never spins).

If they're saying that Xbox One will be much quieter than the 360, then I imagine it will be whisper quiet at all times. Obviously just speculation, I haven't seen one running in person.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about the noise when playing games, but it matters a lot to me when I'm watching movies. I'm a bit of an audiophile and the noise from the 360 kind of ruins the my surround sound.

Thanks for all your responses.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Look at this image ;)

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014.jpg

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting that, never had time to dig that out.
Oh, and worth mentioning generally bigger fan is better, as it can spin slower. Hence quieter.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have owned 6 different 360s and they all have had varying pitch and loudness. The worst was my Modern Warfare 2 console. The best is probably my current Halo 4 console. My launch day PS3 is loud sometimes, but still quieter than all of my old design 360s.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's all a matter of luck, in my opinion. My original 360 was pretty unassuming until later in its life, when it got noticeably loud. My Halo 4 360 is silent, by my standards (not sure if my hearing's bad or if I just have enough background noise to where I ignore it.). However, my brother-in-law's 360 slim is pretty loud. Not sure why, but it is. I'm sure it'll be the typical case-by-case basis, but it'll usually come out quieter.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
MS looks to have put a lot of work into noise levels this time. So they say anyway.

Seen pics of a sound chamber that they built to measure sound levels etc i believe. Or was that just used to test kenect?

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's one thing i really hope XB1 get right the sound coming from the console, because at the end of the day what person wants to have their console as their main entertainment system in the living room and it sounds so loud or annoying that you can't hear watching tv or sport or playing games right! If the likes of Sky tv can make their set top boxes quiet surely the XB1 can! I have a 360 slim which is quiet enough when the volume is loud, but at night when quiet the 360 gives of an awful hum, sucks lol. So lets all hope Microsoft have solved the noise issues with this next gen console :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Not even a high-end PC is THAT big of a noise producer, to where you simply cannot hear things on TV.
2. A set-top box from Sky doesn't sniff the hardware of a console, I'm sure. That's about like saying that a Ferrari had better be quiet because a Prius is.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
He never said he couldn't hear tv, just that its loud enough to be irritating.

A lot of devices can me loud and irritating enough to be heard when tv is low at night. Including 360's.

Set top box isn't a fair comparison though. Lol

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
He never said he couldn't hear tv, just that its loud enough to be irritating.

A lot of devices can me loud and irritating enough to be heard when tv is low at night. Including 360's.

Set top box isn't a fair comparison though. Lol

He said, "so loud or annoying that you can't hear watching tv or sport or playing games right!" That would imply that the console is loud enough to distort sound. It would take a deliberate attempt to play at an ultra-low volume for the console to legitimately interfere with the ability to hear the game. My non-slim 360 was pretty loud itself, but it was never loud to the point of hurting the gaming experience. I think it's just something where people think that ANY audible noise ruins the entire experience of the game, so they're blowing it out of proportion, from audible to deafening or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans