XBox one sold out day one on Amazon

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Sony and MS will sell out of everything they can make ahead of Christmas. The interesting sales numbers will be the typically down time following the holidays and after preorders are filled. People will be hands on with their friends' new consoles, whichever console makes the best first impression will likely do best during this time.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess another thing in addition to the higher price that is sorta holding back the preorders might be the radical changes. Some people might be wanting to hold out a little until more and more info gets released. Also with the vague promises of the old DRM-related goodies coming back is also similar kind of thing. So I think theres more people sorta the other foot in buying the X1, but still waiting for the final nudge, whereas PS4 has been sorta very "static" in all of this - no gamebreaking innovations but also no stupid stuff, just the good ol' console gaming as we know it.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess you missed something here. You obviously can't preorder a 360 anymore... I think the numbers were referring to when 360 was still in the works, which is like.. 8-9 years ago?

sorry, I should learn to read. But to be honest, they should still be easily out-gunning the 360. The install base of Xbox owners, familiar withe the products and games, is so much higher now.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess another thing in addition to the higher price that is sorta holding back the preorders might be the radical changes. Some people might be wanting to hold out a little until more and more info gets released. Also with the vague promises of the old DRM-related goodies coming back is also similar kind of thing. So I think theres more people sorta the other foot in buying the X1......
I think you are right. MS have recently suggested that family sharing etc may return. That feature alone was quite big for me. Be interesting to know how many preorders are actually people edging their bets. Preordering both and then deciding in November.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
...to be honest, they should still be easily out-gunning the 360. The install base of Xbox owners, familiar withe the products and games, is so much higher now.

But conversely the Xbox One has been fighting an uphill battle against overwhelmingly negative press (some warranted and some not) and their own haphazard approach to informing their potential customers, and again the press failing to report the facts and then attempting to rebut and amend after the damage is done. To be outpacing the 360 in pre-orders this early is notable. No sense in comparing numbers to PS4 as it is quite obvious how most of the vocal online population feel about it...it should be leading by a significant margin.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it is. I accept your point on the uphill battle, with types like us they have much to do. I have friends who are fairly typical gamers, a few read articles on the web etc, some don't. For all of them, they are 100% going for the Xbox. I am partially to blame as I lead them to the Xbox 360, all were PSnuts before I harped on about the 360, and my original Xbox. Only last week, a gaggle of 4 of them berated me heavily at a family BBQ. A quick mention of some of the issues of the last month or two and they had very little idea of the actual facts. A couple came out with some real nonsense. My point is that I am the only one that spends time investigating the recent issues, all the rest have only a very basic idea of there being an issue, and the majority thinks that MS has fixed it (although they have no idea what the "fix" is or even what was "fixed"). All of them have pre-ordered the Xbox.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I had not really thought about it before, but it is an interesting point to consider. How could Microsoft translate the success that they have currently with the 360 and XBL into interest in their next generation console?

Every time I have turned on my 360 in the past two months I have been greeted by prominent advertisements for the Xbox One. I turned on my PS3 a few hours ago and Sony's online advertisement is really unobtrusive in comparison as concerns the dashboard, so much so that I did not even notice if they were advertising the PS4 or not. Or perhaps I just subconsciously prefer the targeting of Microsoft over Sony in the advertisements and just automatically ignore whatever is being advertised on my PS3 as I have never found it relevant enough to my interests to pay attention to. Either way, Microsoft has better visibility to the current console gaming population as the majority of them would be subject to their exclusive channel of advertisement.

Not to mention Microsoft has many other services and platforms at their disposal to feed their advertising through.

I think it is inevitable that both consoles will have a good measure of success since there are so many more people gaming today than there were when consoles actually failed to launch. I think even the Wii U will pick up a lot of interest in the next year...just look at what Nintendo has done with the 3DS.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The PS4 bundles are destroying the XB1 on Amazon right now, go check. 3 of the top 4 are PS4 bundles. XB1 all the way down at #47.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well if they are sold out no new orders will be going in - hence the drop down the charts.

Day One Edition has been sold out, but Standard Edition is available for pre-order and is sitting at #47. I'm pretty sure the combination of $100 more + NSA crap is hurting it big time right now.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Day One Edition has been sold out, but Standard Edition is available for pre-order and is sitting at #47. I'm pretty sure the combination of $100 more + NSA crap is hurting it big time right now.

Ahh ok. Hopefully should see another turnaround on orders with the indie/self publishing announcement yesterday.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ahh ok. Hopefully should see another turnaround on orders with the indie/self publishing announcement yesterday.

I think Sony is going to win the pre-order phase of 2013 handily because of the reasons I stated. If the Kinect 2.0 is "insanely great" than 2014 will be Microsoft's.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think Sony is going to win the pre-order phase of 2013 handily because of the reasons I stated. If the Kinect 2.0 is "insanely great" than 2014 will be Microsoft's.

I agree - but pre-orders don't count for much in the grand scheme of things. The xbox one will be released before the PS4 and I think the 3-4 week release difference could be enough to sway more people towards the xbox one after people see what it can actually do and compare it to what the PS4 is offering.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

And if Microsoft is able to bring more incentive to the price between now and launch? A little side-note in the news on the Xbox One this week stated that Microsoft is actively negotiating with suppliers to reduce the price gap between the Xbox One and the PS4. I assume it would be safe to say they won't get $100 per console negotiated off, but perhaps they will offer a voucher for one downloadable launch title as an incentive to get consumers acclimated to the benefits of the digital ecosystem?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They already have a 10% off deal on 2 UK sites. That would put it less than a PS4 with the Eye-Crap - OR - just $50 more than a base PS4. We'll see if this expands beyond those 2 sites...

As the Xbox One release date draws near, Microsoft has announced a price cut of 10%. The device was going to go on sale at $499. The price cut is available through online coupons from Toys R Us and Xia Xia Shell. Currently, the deal is only available for UK fans and not available in US. The coupon has to be redeemed by August.

Source: Xbox One, PS4 Release Date Nears as Microsoft Slashes Price New ConsoleStates Chronicle

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
In Finland when the difference in the webstores/preorders are like 50€ or less, Xbox One leads in preorders. At about 80€ difference in price the PS4 leads.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte