Motion Sickness

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if any of you get motion sickness sometimes.

I played Half-Life a few weeks back but couldn't play for extended periods. I tried bumping FOV up doing the fixes on PCGamingWiki, but it's still the same. Not sure if it's because of how the character moves. It's the first game in a long time that caused me to get motion sick quite badly. Last game I can think of is one of the earlier Medal of Honor games back on PS2. I hope Half-Life 2 is not like this, I'm really looking forward to getting into this series.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I dont get it myself, but I've heard it from a lot of people on gaming forums when some games have some excessive camera bobbing while running etc.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Right yeah it is strange. I don't get it in many games. I was thinking because of how the character moves around like he's on ice coupled with the way he swings the crowbar. The movement seens similar to the original Deus Ex but I didn't get sick playing that game.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yep. First I experienced it when I played "No one lives forever 2", then again with Half Life 2, BioShock,... even the 1st person view in Oblivion.

But I observed that the more complex the graphics are, the faster I get dizzy/sick. So, stuff like CS 1.6 are totally fine. Plus, 3rd person shooter are no problem either.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
My younger brother has chronic motion sickness, and epilepsy - what he does, to address motion sickness in games, is change the field of view (fov).

Some games have a command console (using the tilda key to bring up) and widening the field works wonders!

He's 32 and a Director in Metlife, and works with computers every day, and ski's like a fiend ... Motion sickness can be dealt with, just a matter of finding what works for you.

Hope you figure it out - Half Life 2 and Episode 1 & 2 are brilliant. REALLY. The end of Episode 2 - there is a very real reason why people curse the fact that HL3 isn't out yet!

Enjoy and good luck!!!! :)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the same thing TotalBiscuit complains about when games don't allow you to extend your FoV to the level you require. You might be able to get a third party program that will force FoV into your games?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss