How to Use Xbox One or PC as a TV DVR

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I somehow think the key word here is as a "Windows Media Center" extender.. I dont think the functionality is going away totally. Not sure if it will be there at launch, but I'm sure somewhere down the line there will be an alternative.

Im going to have to disagree with you on this. Overtime it gets brought up Microsoft deflects the question and never really answers it. I think that it will ever be able to be used as an extender like the 360 is. They want you to buy all your entertainment through them and not record it yourself. Its the model that has worked well for Apple over the last few years and i think Microsoft wants a piece of the pie.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
There's a site where you can get the 'HD/Hi-Res' channel bugs for the viewer guide too. Makes it look even more professional instead of seeing 57.1 or 10.3 or just the letters NBC or what not.

Incredibly impressed with Windows Media Center. Makes things a BREEZE to use on Windows 7/8

Guide Tool

I downloaded it and donated to it because i found it so good.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I found this report of an interview with Microsoft's Director of Product Planning Albert Penello in which he said,

"We talk a lot about TV and that's only going to work basically in Japan and the U.S. at launch where you have HDMI-in scenarios, so you'll say 'hey, what if I have a terrestrial over the air?' We won't have a solution for that right away, but we still sell it as part of the vision. So it's honest criticism and you'd love to have the new launch be everything that you had before and more, but unfortunately it's an untenable [proposition]."

To me that sounds like, although at launch the Xbox One won't have Windows Media Center extender capabilities like the 360 does (still a mistake, in my opinion), that it might have some similar features in the future that allow you to watch OTA digital television via your Xbox One (which would be awesome). I hope that comes soon. I think the TV integration idea they have is a good one, but limiting it to cable and TV subscribers instead of making it a solution for good ole antenna users is a mistake, but at least this quote intimates that they are working on something.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That's a bit weird statement, cos "HDMI-in scenarios" could be anywhere. It's like he is saying you cant have TV come through the X1 outside those two countries. I dont mind if TV guide etc wont work, but what would stop the X1 from getting the HDMI-in signal from any box that has the capability and then routing that to the TV with the X1s overlays? Or is he just saying full functionality (such as guide) wont work, but you could still have your antenna-based box send the signal through the X1.

If I won't be able to have the TV to come through the xbox despite not being in US/Japan with certain boxes at all, I'm quite disappoint. Can't se any reason why the basic functionality of throwing input from different source wouldnt be doable

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
That's a bit weird statement, cos "HDMI-in scenarios" could be anywhere. It's like he is saying you cant have TV come through the X1 outside those two countries. I dont mind if TV guide etc wont work, but what would stop the X1 from getting the HDMI-in signal from any box that has the capability and then routing that to the TV with the X1s overlays? Or is he just saying full functionality (such as guide) wont work, but you could still have your antenna-based box send the signal through the X1.

If I won't be able to have the TV to come through the xbox despite not being in US/Japan with certain boxes at all, I'm quite disappoint. Can't se any reason why the basic functionality of throwing input from different source wouldnt be doable

ya it's statements like this just make everything clear as mud. I wish they would just come out and say yes it will do extender or over the air. I would buy one for sure then.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
ya it's statements like this just make everything clear as mud. I wish they would just come out and say yes it will do extender or over the air. I would buy one for sure then.

Indeed, my only guess for why they haven't announced anything yet or have put off their plans for incorporating such features is because they're still negotiating with cable and satellite TV providers in a plethora of countries to try to get a piece of their pie (they may even be trying to set up a cell phone-esque subsidy deal that enables cable TV subscribers to buy an Xbox One on contract at a lower price. So, maybe they're trying not to disrupt those negotiations. I've been bothering Major Nelson, Xbox, and Microsoft on Twitter, though, letting them know that we want OTA television integration in Xbox One. If more people do that, maybe they will.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, my only guess for why they haven't announced anything yet or have put off their plans for incorporating such features is because they're still negotiating with cable and satellite TV providers in a plethora of countries to try to get a piece of their pie (they may even be trying to set up a cell phone-esque subsidy deal that enables cable TV subscribers to buy an Xbox One on contract at a lower price. So, maybe they're trying not to disrupt those negotiations. I've been bothering Major Nelson, Xbox, and Microsoft on Twitter, though, letting them know that we want OTA television integration in Xbox One. If more people do that, maybe they will.

The only problem with Xbox One's TV feature is it needs you to connect a cable box or sat box to it via HDMi. When they showed it in the preview(at the press statement) channel changes were instant with no lag. In the real world with using your DVR/Cable box or sat box, it will be nothing like this. The Xbox one will not have any internal TV tuners, so you would need to add them if they even supported that.

Go to your current DVR/Cable box, Type in a 3-4 number channel and count the time that it takes to change the channel before the channel is on and viewable. Normally this takes at at least 2 seconds on a cable box and on a sat dish, closer to 3-4 seconds (longer when a DVR is involved). Then you have the overlays (where your cable box shows the channel your on and the info about the show when you put on a channel) that you will see on the Xbox One.

This is almost like people using a cable box with Windows Media Center and IR blasters with a cablebox. It works and for the most part, it works good but, you still deal with the cable box overlays, it makes it ugly and can be really slow. This is how YOUR cable box or sat will work on the xbox one and with a little more lag (channel changes can be slower to make sure it gets the commands).

Microsoft needs to support or use Windows Media Center tuners or networkable cable card/Clear QAM/OTA devices. A few companies make a network/USB 3-4 tuner cablecard tuners, this would work great for cable tv and most cable companies will give 1 cable card for free for people. This could make the delay a lot less and no overlays !

Personally, I dream that Microsoft BRINGS back Media Center but, updates it above the xbox one's TV section with DVR and every other web based dream someone could think of. It could be pretty epic, If Microsoft would only take on the project. I would also pay like $200 for a product like that extra over windows...

Last edited:

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree but, Microsoft has pretty much signaled their intentions with Windows Media Center. To quote (very badly) one of my favorite characters "it's dead Jim" I just figure I'll keep using my windows 8 PC and pic up Xbox 360's for cheap over the next 5 years or so. By then I'm sure something new will have come along and I'll switch to that.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree but, Microsoft has pretty much signaled their intentions with Windows Media Center. To quote (very badly) one of my favorite characters "it's dead Jim" I just figure I'll keep using my windows 8 PC and pic up Xbox 360's for cheap over the next 5 years or so. By then I'm sure something new will have come along and I'll switch to that.

If another DVR based PC software gets a Cablecard Cert(that can view all channels), then I would look at it too, the problem is MythTV or the 4-5 other PVR software options only support cablecard if they are unencrypted. If your lucky, only your locals in your area are unencrypted on cablecard.

There was so much that Media Center could of been, did you know at one point they were testing Dish Network and DirecTV devices (custom made devices) to use with Windows Media Center(these were all over engadget at one point) ? They never hit the market (sad to say). I would of changed my provider just for a better signal or more channels (dish or direct) in Media Center.

Microsoft sold off their Mediaroom department (AT&T uverse DVR, looked almost like MC) and broke up the eHome team right before that. The only thing that makes me partly think it might come back is because of the work on the Xbox one with the TV end of it. Because of all the different providers just in the US alone, they would have a whole department or 2 working on this to make it work for everyone(trust me there is a lot of different providers in the US). Never mind 1/2 the ehome group still works at Microsoft.

They spend all this money to get this feature working(xbox one TV), why not port it to the PC...with a DVR end ? The costs would not be crazy high (because the product works, it's just gota be ported with some addon features). Offer it as a addon product packaged with a kinect for $200 and I would be all over it.

I am crossing my fingers but, not holding my breath that at some point they take that on..... Really hope they do... They could do crazy stuff if they put their minds to it...

I've been using Media Center from XP Media Center...(very first release of it).

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

You definitely seem right that t hey are killing off Media Center, but I still don't understand why. It is a really cool piece of software, they've developed it for years, why suddenly pull the plug? The confusing part is, why develop it and optimize it for Windows 8, only to package it separately. I don't quite get what they are doing here.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You definitely seem right that t hey are killing off Media Center, but I still don't understand why. It is a really cool piece of software, they've developed it for years, why suddenly pull the plug? The confusing part is, why develop it and optimize it for Windows 8, only to package it separately. I don't quite get what they are doing here.

As far as I know, it really isn't optimized for Windows 8. I thought the release was identical to Windows 7. I could be wrong though.

I think that it just wasn't profitable or used very much. I remember seeing a statistic last year that less than 10% of people even opened Media Center and something like .05% used it on a regular basis. That coupled with pressure i'm sure from the cable companies led to its downfall.

richmed

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Gentlemen, I think this is an interesting topic. For long time I've been asking myself, "why is not Media Center in every TV setup?"....marketing... damn marketing... Microsoft had the software and hardware to support it all the way, but sometimes the MEDIA around Apple is just so 'destructive' and users neglected to believe the hype around Media Center. If I would only had recorded those dumb faces of guests coming to my house when Media Center is running in front of their eyes, I would have posted here links from YouTube. Still a cheap solution. I'm buying a new house, and close to the end of month moving into it. My plan is a media rack with a small form factor PC (Win7) running the show, becuase even when TVs are Smart, there's nothing like WMC. ;-)

Wuping

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
The only problem with Xbox One's TV feature is it needs you to connect a cable box or sat box to it via HDMi. When they showed it in the preview(at the press statement) channel changes were instant with no lag. In the real world with using your DVR/Cable box or sat box, it will be nothing like this. The Xbox one will not have any internal TV tuners, so you would need to add them if they even supported that.

Go to your current DVR/Cable box, Type in a 3-4 number channel and count the time that it takes to change the channel before the channel is on and viewable. Normally this takes at at least 2 seconds on a cable box and on a sat dish, closer to 3-4 seconds (longer when a DVR is involved). Then you have the overlays (where your cable box shows the channel your on and the info about the show when you put on a channel) that you will see on the Xbox One.

This is almost like people using a cable box with Windows Media Center and IR blasters with a cablebox. It works and for the most part, it works good but, you still deal with the cable box overlays, it makes it ugly and can be really slow. This is how YOUR cable box or sat will work on the xbox one and with a little more lag (channel changes can be slower to make sure it gets the commands).

Microsoft needs to support or use Windows Media Center tuners or networkable cable card/Clear QAM/OTA devices. A few companies make a network/USB 3-4 tuner cablecard tuners, this would work great for cable tv and most cable companies will give 1 cable card for free for people. This could make the delay a lot less and no overlays !

Personally, I dream that Microsoft BRINGS back Media Center but, updates it above the xbox one's TV section with DVR and every other web based dream someone could think of. It could be pretty epic, If Microsoft would only take on the project. I would also pay like $200 for a product like that extra over windows...

Well I can say from personal experience that I don't experience any delay when changing channels, my setup is as follows a cable card inside of a Silicon Dust HD Home Run Prime (a network tv tuner) a pc running windows 8 with media center and a Synology DS 213 as a drive where my recording are stored and 3 xbox 360's running as a extender. I plan on getting a xbox one and just connecting the 360 to it, I don't expect any delay in the input.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Getting to the point where I'm rather disgusted about the XB1 not supporting Media Center. Honestly I would prefer it replaced Media Center but clearly that's not happening either so we are starting at the worst case scenario. If you need a 360 to use Media Center connected to an XB1 what is the bloody point of getting an XB1 in the first place? I may ebay the 2 Day 1's I have pre-ordered and stick with the 360. In the end I will not go back to the days of crappy POS cable co boxes or DVR's. I'd pull the plug before I go that route.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Getting to the point where I'm rather disgusted about the XB1 not supporting Media Center. Honestly I would prefer it replaced Media Center but clearly that's not happening either so we are starting at the worst case
. If you need a 360 to use Media Center connected to an XB1 what is the bloody point of getting an XB1 in the first place? I may ebay the 2 Day 1's I have pre-ordered and stick with the 360. In the end I will not go back to the days of crappy POS cable co boxes or DVR's. I'd pull the plug before I go that route.

That's exactly how I feel. I'm the guy usually up on tech and I became a cord cutter this past spring. Over the months I've learned to live with alternate viewing habits... IE.. hdhomerun with dual tuners for live TV. That is being hosted by my main Pc in the den and I use the extender feature of the 360 to watch our locals and recordings. Hell, I even ripped my DVDs and added them to the movie library.

My point in mentioning this is that I think MS was ahead of their time. 10 years ago folks weren't ready to be a cord cutter. But internet speeds have gotten better and with a crappy economy, TV is first to get cut back. I held off, but now I don't think ill go back to pay TV.

Maybe xb1 wont be the traditional extender, but perhaps someone makes an app for it. I contacted silicon dust about xb1 after I read extender was dropped. They are looking at this as an option but no specifics were supplied to me.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Getting to the point where I'm rather disgusted about the XB1 not supporting Media Center. Honestly I would prefer it replaced Media Center but clearly that's not happening either so we are starting at the worst case scenario. If you need a 360 to use Media Center connected to an XB1 what is the bloody point of getting an XB1 in the first place? I may ebay the 2 Day 1's I have pre-ordered and stick with the 360. In the end I will not go back to the days of crappy POS cable co boxes or DVR's. I'd pull the plug before I go that route.

Whoaaa there, I thought the Xbone would at least function the same as the 360 and act as a media center extender. Are you saying for absolutely sure that's not the case? We have to keep using a 360? Is there anywhere this is stated fairly officially?

DOH! I didn't realize I never finished the first page of this thread. Nevermind, cancelling my pre-order probably.

Last edited:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
These new boxes are pulling the features I would assume are basic. I have a question. I currently use my wired network to view films from my PC hard drive. Will I still be able to do this with the One? Shabby if not. I do not use the Media Extender option, just look at the shared folder on my PC

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I can say from personal experience that I don't experience any delay when changing channels, my setup is as follows a cable card inside of a Silicon Dust HD Home Run Prime (a network tv tuner) a pc running windows 8 with media center and a Synology DS 213 as a drive where my recording are stored and 3 xbox 360's running as a extender. I plan on getting a xbox one and just connecting the 360 to it, I don't expect any delay in the input.

Right and each users will see it different. I know with my Ceton 4 cablecard tuner, I get about a second or 2, depending on the channel (DRM'ed channels tend to take a hair longer) but, it's acceptable. With a Dish DVR, there is about a 2-3 second delay on channel changes. It's not bad but, it's something you get used to. DVRs tend to take a little longer due to buffering the channels.

The Xbox one REQURES a cable box or sat box, No word if you can plug a Media Center PC directly in or not (that would be interesting). So you might need to get a cable box to use this feature on the xbox one...Never mind Microsoft said the Xbox one is NOT a DVR and you wont be able to access your DVR recorded shows in the xbox one's menu.

They have given up some info about it but, not all of it, sad to say, most of this wont be known till you take a device and plug it in...

I still really wish Microsoft would take on Media Center again, or at least update it for some features and content... Next year I plan on getting a 4K tv, I know with MC the way it is, I am SOL for supporting 4K content in MC, even though the PC can handle 8K content...

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the Xbox One will be able to communicate with wmc? Can you connect your htpc running wmc to the Xbox One and get a guide and other features like recording etc? There hasn't been much information about this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster