so what are the difference between Xbone and PS4 after all the changes?

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just down to personal preference. Me personally, i'd get both systems since both have exclusives and features I want. I don't get why people act like they need to pigeon hole themselves into one choice.

Because i buy 1-2 games a year its going to be quite an expense to buy both for that! :)

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Ur on a Windows Phone forum asking which is better ps4 or the Xbox 1. Of course 90% of people on here are gonna say Xbox1 is better.

In my opinion u should never be invested too much into 1 eco system. Say a year down the line you don't like a Microsoft product and want to buy a rival be it apple, android or whatever. But u are so far invested into Microsoft its becomes to expensive to get another device.

Im signed up here already and the fact I have found most of the time people are quite open on here, its hard to find somewhere thats not going to say one or the other and as I said, my experience here is people are quite open, so far I would say yes it leans on the XB1 side but that people havent been fan boyish though, overall I am happy :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just down to personal preference. Me personally, i'd get both systems since both have exclusives and features I want. I don't get why people act like they need to pigeon hole themselves into one choice.

$560 for baseball doesn't make sense, though. All I'd want is The Show, and I won't buy the console for that alone. I'd probably try other games if I got one, but they have nothing else on PS4 that grabs me.

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Personally I dont care about the TV stuff, I am from the UK and live in NL so the TV stuff will come here very late as MS are pretty crap at getting things into the EU and I watch my movies etc from my PC plugged into my TV.

All I care about is the gaming side of it but I cant find many good comparisons on that.

EDIT: I did another more recent search, seems PS4 really is better for games, I guess my issue is being so used to Xbox controller these days that i wonder how much different it will feel if I get a PS4

I don't know if PS4 really is better for games. I mean, there is a lot of lip service to that concept on the web, but most of the web has been dead set against Xbox One since before it was even officially announced. But I will tell you what I do know, and sort of leave it at that:
  • most of the anti-game stuff you read about the Xbox One, simply is not true; the gaming media has been extremely neglect at separating rumors from news, and it makes it real hard for the readers to separate fact from fiction, as many media outlets, even some very reputable sources, have resorted to frequently reporting rumors as news - shame on them

• according to the Wall Street Journal (from way back in May), Microsoft has allocated over $1 billion explicitly for the development of 1st and 2nd party exclusive games for Xbox One; putting that $1 billion into perspective, that is more money than Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo combined, have spent for the development of exclusive games this gen (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii). So read into that fact, what you will.

• there is a lot of lip service online about how the exclusive games on Xbox One suck . . . but I have counted no less than half a dozen petition by soon-to-be PS4 owners, begging developers to bring their Xbox One exclusives to the PS4: I have seen petitions for games ranging from Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive, to Quantum Break, Titanfall, and Ryse. And all I can say, is that if the Xbox One exclusive games suck so terribly bad, and if the Xbox One is such a **** system for games (all things the internet keeps saying over and over and over again), then why are PS4 fans constantly begging to get Xbox One exclusive games? Meanwhile, no matter how hard I looked, I cannot find a single petition, or campaign hosted by Xbox One fans, to port over PS4 exclusives - just sayin.

• Project Spark is allowing gamers to use the Kinect 2.0 as a full-blown motion capture device for making games, and machinima. I will be honest when I say this, I was on the fence about Xbox One, then I saw the demo of Team Dakota members using the Kinect for motion capture of an NPC he was putting into the game, and him explain the feature was in the game, everyone would be able to use it for in-game motion capture. I about **** myself when I saw the demo, and thought about the implications. No doubt this feature is going to show up in a lot more games from Xbox One, where the player is encouraged to create something, and share their creations with the community.

• dedicated servers on EVERY online game. nuff said.

• every Xbox One will be a self-contained development kit capable of accessing the full power of the system. There is a lot of talk about indie games these days, you just can't make the development of indie games easier, than turning the system itself into the development kit, for everyone to use. Then there is also the very real possibility of mods, being brought to Xbox One. While that bit is not yet confirmed, it has been alluded to by Microsoft executives. So it is something that is definitely in the works, behind the scenes, that hopefully will come to fruition. And the system itself being it's own development kit, is only going to make mods an all the more likely outcome.

• On the subject of Xbox One features alluded to by Microsoft execs, is the ability to resale digitally downloaded games. Once again, it has not yet been confirmed, but it was alluded to by Microsoft execs, at one of Microsoft's Q&A panels. At the very least, it means the idea is in the works. More than likely it was put on hold, along with all the other sharing features the Xbox One was supposed to have. And no doubt will be revisited again, once Microsoft finds a less controversial way to implement all of it's digital plans for the system.

• Xbox LIVE has gotten a **** load of improvements, still making it much better than PSN. Simply put, online gaming, whether competitive, or co-op, will still be king on Xbox LIVE. And the fact that over half the games at E3 this year, had full drop-in, drop-out co-op, as a feature to their single-player campaign . . . I think you see where that's going.

• better second screen experience. Just about everyone has a tablet, notebook, or smartphone, very few people have a PSVita (or even want one, for that matter). SmartGlass integration directly into games, continues to improve, and comes deeply embedded natively in the Xbox One experience. Asymmetric gameplay, was one of the big showing off points from all the major publishers at E3. Guess which system is going to natively feature the better implementation of jumping in and playing with your friends, even when you cannot be at home in front of your console. And with SmartGlass on Android and iOS, as well as Windows platforms, that pretty much mean everyone is invited to that party.

• cloud gaming; or more importantly, being able to offload game code into the cloud. right now all the naysayers will tell you this is science-fiction, that it cannot be done, but they would be lying to you, even if they themselves did not realize they were telling a lie. Microsoft's ability to offload game code into the cloud, is possibly the single biggest game changer of how games are made and played, that has been announced since talk of next-gen consoles started popping up. Developers are only just now getting their hands on this incredible, new tool set at their disposal. So it may take them a while to truly figure out what to do with it, but mark my words once they do, the system without the capability to simultaneously process code locally and remotely, is going to be at a great disadvantage. The fact that Microsoft's cloud is the Azure global network, and Microsoft has dedicated 3x the processing power of every Xbox One, for every console sold . . . seriously, this is really going to change things

• True multi-tasking; doing multiple things at the same time. Everyone claims they don't give two ****s about doing stuff that, then they go back to using their Android phone/tablet (one of Android's biggest selling points was multi-tasking). It's easy to say stuff like, "I don't care about this," or "I don't care about that." Everyone says stupid **** like that, when you don't actually have "this" or "that" to play with and make an educated judgement call about it. In May of 2005, everyone said they did not care about Achievements, yet Achievements managed to change modern gaming forever. Back in 2002, everyone claimed they did not want an internet connection on their cellphone . . . in 2013 you can laugh about the naivety of people from 2002, or the myopia of people from 2005. After all, hindsight is 20/20. I guess my point being, as much as people overlook Xbox One's multi-tasking capabilities, or attempt to downplay it, it has amazing potential to change the way we game over the next generation. We don't see it now, because we don't know what to do with it yet, but when we figure that out, expect an Xbox console to change gaming forever . . . again.

• Kinect 2.0 . . . I know, I know. Everyone loves to pile **** on the Kinect, and with good reason. The first Kinect is largely rubbish for games. But you know what, the first Kinect did show potential. If you played Dance Central, or Child of Eden, or a few other choice games from the Kinect library, you can see a lot of potential there . . . not just for casual games, but for real, honest to God, games that gamers love. Kinect 2.0 is easily x100 better than the first generation device; it's literally everything the original Kinect should have been. And having it in the hands of every developer, means a greater range of things will get done with it - and I don't mean, the flailing around your living room like a monkey in heat, kinds of things that Kinect 1.0 is so rightly associated with. I mean real nuance, and real games. And quite possibly things that simply weren't possible to dream of, previously. But let's say we forget all that stuff. Let's say we forget the fact you can use Kinect 2.0 as an in-home motion capture studio. Let's say we forget that Kinect 2.0 is so sensitive, that it can read individual fingers, or tell what mood your are, or even be used for facial capture. Let's forget all those things. And instead, let's go back to the promise of the original Kinect. Back to Milo & Kate. Peter Molyneux admitted several times that Milo was mostly smoke and mirrors - and a lot of that had to do with the limitations of first gen Kinect as well as current-gen console hardware. But those problems are solved with the combination of Kinect 2.0 and Xbox One. So go back and look at the promise of Milo & Kate . . . and then imagine the next Mass Effect game, or Elder Scrolls, or Fallout 4, or better still, the next LA Noire, or even something so simple as a game of Texas Hold'em. How good is your poker face? Imagine having the ability to naturally interact with every NPC in the game in this manner. You don't have to put down your controller, or dance like a monkey to do that. You just act naturally, and keep playing the game with the controller in hand, while sitting on your couch. But the combination of the new Xbox One and the Kinect 2.0 will finally make these types of interactions possible - not just possible, but the de facto way to interact with a lot of different types of games, especially RPGs, and other story-based games.
    New Xbox One - Kinect: Exclusive WIRED Video - YouTube

• Cortana
    Future of Microsoft TellMe on Windows Phone - YouTube
Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to disparage the PS4 here, or even discourage you from getting one - I'm getting both, just like I own both Xbox 360 and PS3 this gen. Just trying to offer a bit more insight that oft times, completely goes overlooked on the web. You have no idea how many times at Gamescom, I heard seasoned video game reporters claim to have the exclusive scoop on some "new" reveal the Xbox One made at Gamescom, when in actuality the reveal had been made at E3, or even before E3, and it went completely ignored. Truth be told, for the most part, 90% of what Microsoft has said about Xbox One this year, has gone completely ignored by the gaming press . . . and if the gaming press ignores it, it's hard to believe that anyone can do much of proper research about the system . . . well, at least not until the actual system itself ships, is in the hands of millions of people, and word of mouth finally catches up with the truth. Of course that eventuality is months away. And people like yourself, who are kinda on the fence either way, have already made choices based on often inaccurate information. And when your choice costs $400/$500, you are kinda stuck with it, whether you are ultimately happy with it, or not.

In the interest of dispelling more untruths, misconceptions, and outright lies about Xbox One, here are some more resources:

Digital Foundry: the complete Xbox One architects interview. The whole story.

Microsoft on Xbox One's 180, Bundled Kinect, RAM, Digital Pre-Loading and more! Albert Penello @ PAX - YouTube

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just recently realized an analogy that might work for the cloud computing to some point. GTA V is very impressive for a current gen game, considering how old the hardware is. Now, the question is, how did they do that? By reading from both the HDD and the disc at the same time. Sure, reading from a disc/HDD is not exactly comparable to reading from cloud at this time cos of 1) not everyone will be connected to the internet 2) bandwidths still vary where someone has 100mbit connection, someone else has 1mbit connection.

But just felt like pointing this out to what kind of potential we could be talking about. Yes, latency will also be a question whereas it really isnt when reading from HDD/disc, but there was that one video that showed that for example lighting didn't start looking weird until the 400ms latency mark when sorta "reading it from the cloud". And 400ms is very generous, seeing that any somewhat civilized place shouldnt have trouble reaching sub-200ms for anything. But then there is the question if a game developed with "cloud computing" in mind can be played offline at all. Or if it can, it at least will downscale Graphics, which IMO is a fair trade off at that point.

But really good write up TachyonicCargo, I enjoyed the fairly neutral-feeling approach of yours, even if I'm sure someone can poke holes into that too, but it didn't feel like something written by a diehard MS/Xbox fan blindly praising their own favourite :p That said, I'm sure many Xbox players would want some PS exclusives over to Xbox too, but personally I'm not really interested in any of the PS exclusives, while Xbox exclusives make me go drool, but I realize this is a mattter of preference. Someone won't care for the Xbox games while drooling over the PS ones :p

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Cloud is the game changer IMO. Kinect for all is nifty enough, but cloud gaming has interesting possibilities. Think of what Nintendo does with games like Animal Crossing, where user created content is passed back and forth all over the place. Now Nintendo is a big moneymaker and can afford to do stuff like that. Imagine if *all* developers could do stuff like that...

From an artist's perspective, that's like having somebody buy you a Cintiq because you had an itch to draw something.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The user-created thing speaks as much to Project Spark as the dedicated servers, but I agree that those dedicated servers are one of my favorite things coming. No more of the host-related garbage and lag-switches or whatever. When people cry about lag, you can finally just tell them to get better Internet or get better hands, because you cannot blame the connection of the host when the host is hundreds of thousands of servers from a premiere tech company.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's my breakdown for anyone still unsure about these platforms. This is what I believe will differentiate them.

Xbox One
- Vastly improved controller featuring rumble triggers, higher precison and a much more refined control scheme.
- Kinect 2.0 is now mandatory with all consoles, a much higher precision motion tracking device that is fully integrated into the Xbox One. So things like UI navigation will be a vastly superior to competing platforms.
- 1.3 TF GPU + 8GB DDR3 (10% reserved for OS/Kinect function) - this will dictate the 'ceiling' games can reach during the platforms lifecycle. Personally I think this won't matter too much, games will still look great.
- Xbox LIVE, paid multiplayer. Arguably better online capabilities.
- Xbox Entertainment, Exclusive TV Shows (Halo + Quantum Break announced so far)
- Exclusive games have been moslty revealed for the next year. This really depends on your tastes. Halo, Quantum Break, Titanfall, Ryse are notable games coming.
- Console can double as a dev unit for Indie devs

PS4
- Dualshock 4 is VASTLY improved and a lot better than previous iterations. The controllers are both equal in my opinion and will boil down to preference.
- PS+ online that has superior value for money, is now paid multiplayer
- PS Eye (Optional) will likely be a niche device with little support
- 1.8 TF GPU + 8 GB DDR5, PS4 has Xbox One clearly beat in the graphics department. What does this mean for games? Most games will likely look similar in the first 3 years, after tha difference will be noticed. Will it matter? That's upto the gamer.
- Exclusive games, Sony had a very strong lineup in exclusive games so the next gen is looking very good for them (despite having fewer AAA games announced). Games like inFamous, The Order 1886 and Killzone.
- Great Indie Support

Personally I find the entertainment extras Xbox is offering and it's amazing online infrastructure is proven. The paywall can be a pain for non-subscribers but great for those

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Interesting article...

PS4 and Xbox One are almost identical according to Resident Evil creator | Games | Geek.com

So, according to Shinji Mikami, both systems are near identical from a performance standpoint.

Maybe I'm just a negative Nancy, but the verdict feels a bit off, at least compared to most of the reporting going on. Sure, "if both have same performance and one is 100usd cheaper, it's better", but it's funny since this one is basically a pretty big blow into the ranks of the PS fanboys and if they can do something better than the Xbox, they sure are vocal about it, but even this news which basically is reworded "Xbox One is more powerful than anticipated/PS4 is less powerful than anticipated", they still turn it into a small victory for the PS4, da fuq :p

But I'm happy that they still seemed to have a fairly neutral verdict as it should be - go for exclusives and/or financial and/or Kinect.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
We'll just have to wait till Nov. 22 to see if the Kinect features truely make $100 price jump worth it. (I think it will be)

I am happy there isn't a base model without the Kinect, but if it doesn't work as prommised, yeah I'll be a little miffed.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
For me the extra 100 isn't in Kinect alone. It's in actually having an ecosystem, too. PS has no worthwhile ecosystem cos PSVita is an extremely niche device. Also being built from the ground up with cloud in mind is important too, even if uses now would be Limited.

I have to wait till 2014 anyways as a finn :(

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
For me the extra 100 isn't in Kinect alone. It's in actually having an ecosystem, too. PS has no worthwhile ecosystem cos PSVita is an extremely niche device. Also being built from the ground up with cloud in mind is important too, even if uses now would be Limited.

I have to wait till 2014 anyways as a finn :(

Thing is, just as the ecosystem can sell Windows Phones or Xboxes, it could be hypothesized that the ecosystem could help sell the Vita. If they get the cross-platform saves going well and do more of the 2-for-1 deals where you get the Vita and PS3/4 games in one package, it could be a solid incentive to look into the handheld.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
But I think we can agree that even if Vita became really popular, it would hardly be comparable to Microsofts ecosystem.

Im also just talking mostly about myself. Most people arnt anywhere near as invested to MS ecosystem than I am, but no matter how popular Vita gets, the chances for me to get one are almost nonexistant. I just have no interest for mobile gaming, even on MS-platforms :p

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Same story, I have no interest in any Sony products. However, I disagree on the first part, somewhat. While I won't get a Vita, I would prefer the Vita setup (with cloud saves and cross-platform gaming) over the only similarity between Microsoft products (outside of Project Spark) being a label. Xbox games don;t carry over to PC or Windows Phone, but I'd love to see that happen.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't generally give credence to articles like this, but it was an interesting read...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/10/28/analyst-expects-xbox-one-to-outship-ps4/

I haven't checked to confirm, but they are stating that eBay prices are at 60% higher for the One, vs. 50% for the PS4. While this may be what people are trying to sell them for, is anyone going to pay that much extra for a launch date system when there will probably be units sitting in shelves a couple of weeks after launch?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that he's using anything of value to draw those conclusions. eBay markups aren't a great signifier of demand. The only thing we can use to determine demand is sales, and that's something we can't analyze until supply catches up to demand.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that he's using anything of value to draw those conclusions. eBay markups aren't a great signifier of demand. The only thing we can use to determine demand is sales, and that's something we can't analyze until supply catches up to demand.

I agree, but it is interesting the difference in price hikes on eBay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss