NVIDIA Announces Price Cut for GeForce Graphics Cards

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
And that was the latest news from our intrepid Graphics Card reporter, Big Paddy.Over to Stan with the news and weather.

Always good to see high end graphics cards getting lower in price, though!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
And that was the latest news from our intrepid Graphics Card reporter, Big Paddy.Over to Stan with the news and weather.

Always good to see high end graphics cards getting lower in price, though!

Thanks!

It always good reporting a good deal and also to mention AMD are bundling one free game for there new Radeon R9 280X the game depends on what bundle there is!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my GTX460's pretty soon. They served me well for a long time but I think I want something extra ;)

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Nvidia is great but If I were to upgrade now I would probably go with AMD. I think mantle will give AMD an edge in some games since console versions(PS4 & XB1) will probably use it and thus it will mean easier porting and better performance. Or am I wrong? :winktongue:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Nvidia is great but If I were to upgrade now I would probably go with AMD. I think mantle will give AMD an edge in some games since console versions(PS4 & XB1) will probably use it and thus it will mean easier porting and better performance. Or am I wrong? :winktongue:

Your spot on it should make it easier to port over so they can add more details and improve performance.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Your spot on it should make it easier to port over so they can add more details and improve performance.

No. No, it won't.

1. Mantle is only compatible with AMD GPUs as of now, and is supposed to be a replacement or alternative to D3D and OpenGL. That means that game developers would need to include extra functionality in their games to support Mantle. Considering that D3D and OpenGL are already widely used, I don't think many of them would put in the extra effort.

2. Mantle is not applicable to the custom GPUs in both the Xbone and PS4.

3. Regardless, game devs write their games to interact with the APIs - i.e. D3D, OpenGL or Mantle. These APIs interact with the drivers which then talk to the card itself. Historically, Nvidia's drivers have been better than AMD's.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
No. No, it won't.

1. Mantle is only compatible with AMD GPUs as of now, and is supposed to be a replacement or alternative to D3D and OpenGL. That means that game developers would need to include extra functionality in their games to support Mantle. Considering that D3D and OpenGL are already widely used, I don't think many of them would put in the extra effort.

2. Mantle is not applicable to the custom GPUs in both the Xbone and PS4.

3. Regardless, game devs write their games to interact with the APIs - i.e. D3D, OpenGL or Mantle. These APIs interact with the drivers which then talk to the card itself. Historically, Nvidia's drivers have been better than AMD's.

I been reading it will boost performance and graphics which it will for the next gen consoles and PC which the first game that will take advantage of Mantle will be Battlefield 4 that will release an update on December.

Mantle is applicable to next gen consoles that why AMD created that API to make it unified with PC and next gen consoles.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this. Now just need to figure out a way to convince my wife that I need to upgrade my 660Ti to the 780 in addition to getting the 929 and 2520.

That alright thought I would inform are members that there having price reductions.

Say it a investment for the future! :wink:

Last edited:

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I been reading it will boost performance and graphics which it will for the next gen consoles and PC which the first game that will take advantage of Mantle will be Battlefield 4 that will release an update on December.

Mantle is applicable to next gen consoles that why AMD created that API to make it unified with PC and next gen consoles.

No, it isn't. Did you really believe that Microsoft would allow someone else's standard on THEIR platform?

AMD Mantle Not Meant for Xbox One and PlayStation 4

BF4 for PC will benefit.

As always, the Glorious PC Master Race will laugh in amusement at the console peasants with their PlebeStations and PeasantBoxes.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
No, it isn't. Did you really believe that Microsoft would allow someone else's standard on THEIR platform?

AMD Mantle Not Meant for Xbox One and PlayStation 4

BF4 for PC will benefit.

As always, the Glorious PC Master Race will laugh in amusement at the console peasants with their PlebeStations and PeasantBoxes.

Well I been terrible misinformed by the internet and articles stating it was for next gen and PC well I was wrong thanks for informing.

I would have like it if AMD announce this when they released the information for Mantle.

They could have some future plans for a unifications who knows?

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this. Now just need to figure out a way to convince my wife that I need to upgrade my 660Ti to the 780 in addition to getting the 929 and 2520.

Why would you get the 780? Get the R9 290X, or at least the 290. The 290X will blow the 780 out of the water for $50 more, while the 290 will be about on-par or a little better for $100 less.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Why would you get the 780? Get the R9 290X, or at least the 290. The 290X will blow the 780 out of the water for $50 more, while the 290 will be about on-par or a little better for $100 less.

Mainly due to bad experiences with AMD. After seeing price/performance of the 290 and 290x I have thought about going back but I've also read the 290s run pretty hot so I'm leaning towards the 780

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my GTX460's pretty soon. They served me well for a long time but I think I want something extra ;)

Wow I'm in exactly the same position as you are. I've got the 1GB version that's slightly overclocked, it's still doing well but I'm starting to have to use medium-high instead of maxing out the settings on newer games which irritates me.

I'm thinking of moving over to AMD because of the way the new consoles are AMD chipsets, everything will be optimised for them in the future. I do like the PhysX on Nvidia cards though, I don't think AMD has an equivalent for this?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Mainly due to bad experiences with AMD. After seeing price/performance of the 290 and 290x I have thought about going back but I've also read the 290s run pretty hot so I'm leaning towards the 780

Here's a plethora of graphs, if it helps: AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 290 Review

The main complaint made there is that the 290 is way too loud, though that doesn't apply to the 290X. Heat and power are definitely higher on the AMD side, but it doesn't seem to be a big-enough complaint to scare people away (only the 290's sound is, which is louder than the 290X). Unless the power and heat difference are so great you need a new PSU/cooling solution for the rig (lowering the cost difference between the purchases), I don't think I could be convinced that the heat and power are enough to drive me away from the fact that you get MORE power for $100 less.

Then again, I'm chillin' with a 5850 I've had for 4 years because I just don't play PC games.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Here's a plethora of graphs, if it helps: AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 290 Review

The main complaint made there is that the 290 is way too loud, though that doesn't apply to the 290X. Heat and power are definitely higher on the AMD side, but it doesn't seem to be a big-enough complaint to scare people away (only the 290's sound is, which is louder than the 290X). Unless the power and heat difference are so great you need a new PSU/cooling solution for the rig (lowering the cost difference between the purchases), I don't think I could be convinced that the heat and power are enough to drive me away from the fact that you get MORE power for $100 less.

Then again, I'm chillin' with a 5850 I've had for 4 years because I just don't play PC games.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't read before.

Main reason is experiencing two bad AMD cards in the past. I've never had a bad experience with Nvidia. Its been a while though so I may give it another shot based off the price/performance. I just can't devote the money to bleeding edge anymore so it all comes down to convincing my wife. 😉

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I get that. My dad got a bad motherboard from MSI, like, 15 years ago, and he says he'll never buy from them again to this day. I've just never really had AMD issues (granted this PC is still my first build), and I try to support the better-value option, rather than the bloated monster of Intel, though the CPU side of things is getting ugly anymore, so I might have to jump ship there.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow I'm in exactly the same position as you are. I've got the 1GB version that's slightly overclocked, it's still doing well but I'm starting to have to use medium-high instead of maxing out the settings on newer games which irritates me.

I'm thinking of moving over to AMD because of the way the new consoles are AMD chipsets, everything will be optimised for them in the future. I do like the PhysX on Nvidia cards though, I don't think AMD has an equivalent for this?

Read above. That's not how it works. Games will still interact via OpenGL/D3D APIs which then interface with the drivers. There will be no paradigm wherein having the same manufacturer's GPUs on nextgen consoles will lead to better PC optimisation. Driver quality still matter, and after 4 years with Radeon and the last 1 year with Nvidia, I can see that the latter's drivers are consistently better.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Yup also got the 1GB version. It's been an absolute warrior for me over the years and I've been very impressed, but as you say, some games are making me drop down to medium settings for optimal frame rates. I also like the PhysX stuff like in Borderlands 2, but I can only go to medium with it otherwise it absolutely tanks my frames. Low is what is recommended on GeForce experience.

AMD is fighting back hard which is good to see. I'd like to try one of their cards, but I'm thinking that Shadowplay video capture thing is more compelling for me as well as the streaming thing with the NVidia Shield should I get one later down the line. Probably won't really make a decision until closer to the holiday season. Too many other things up on the priority list ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers