Not that I put much faith in source but take it for what it is.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm....Maybe it's a good thing that it's 720P on the xbox one...but, it does not put a lot of faith in my eyes that these systems (Xbox one and PS4) will still be here in 8-10 years like they say. This is on day one too....

They claim that BOTH these systems will support 4K gaming, if we cant' even do a smooth 1080p game on a release title, it makes me question it a little...

Maybe it's just me...

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't say i understand why both consoles cant do 1080p easily.

360 & PS3 had 1080p games, and are far less powerful, with less memory, therefore it seems silly that the next gen can't do it.

I want 1080p with 60fps 3D, not slightly better versions of current gen games.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it is pretty foolish of us/people to think that these cross-generational launch games are the benchmark for what the XBOX One and PS4 can do.
Have you seen the launch games of the 360 and PS3 from 2005/2006 compared to the games they've released in 2013?!

For example, remember when Madden 2006 came out for the 360 and it had nothing in it that the XBOX/PS2 versions had. I specifically remember people saying something like, "If this is next-gen why are elements missing in this game?" It was terrible. Remember how Call of Duty looked on the 360? Resistance looked terrible too (it was all dark brown and light gray) on the PS3's launch.

Both systems will be fine.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
From the sound of it, the Xbox One is also suffering frame rate drops, even at 720p. I can't say I'm surprised, and I wonder how much of it is poor coding with graphics, to go along perfectly with the horrid netcode that is causing a complete breakdown in physics and logic in Battlefield 4 multiplayer.

tdsweetwheels

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Its not the hardware in either console. Its the ****ty code the developers are using as they arent familiar with either systems hardware yet. Give it time. I know pcs with weaker specs running 1080p games flawlessly. And those pc's dont even have 8gig under the hood. I imagine in 5 years we will all (ps community and xb community alike) be laughing about all this frame rate mess once developers find the right coding and build the games accordingly to suit these systems specifically. Look how good games are now on the ps3 and xb360. These have had the same hardware for a decade. Now we can all agree the hardware in the xb1 and the ps4 are light years ahead of their previous systems yes? Just give it some time. Developers are human too and need time to work through the new systems. i had heard that the esram is difficult to work with and that could be why the 720p on cod (a **** game anyway in my opinion)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it is pretty foolish of us/people to think that these cross-generational launch games are the benchmark for what the XBOX One and PS4 can do.
Have you seen the launch games of the 360 and PS3 from 2005/2006 compared to the games they've released in 2013?!

For example, remember when Madden 2006 came out for the 360 and it had nothing in it that the XBOX/PS2 versions had. I specifically remember people saying something like, "If this is next-gen why are elements missing in this game?" It was terrible. Remember how Call of Duty looked on the 360? Resistance looked terrible too (it was all dark brown and light gray) on the PS3's launch.

Both systems will be fine.

As I partly agree with you (most of these issues will be ironed out as the system gets updated, etc) , it's still comes to the fact that you have a BRAND new system come out in a 1080p AGE (it's known even by my grandmother if it's in 1080p, it's going to look awsome for the most part). Xbox pushed in the promos all the high end graphics and sound, as all the demos showed games that looked like WOW. AGAIN, we are in a 1080p age, this is what it is, this is what most people's TVs can do, this is what the video formats are doing. Xbox one and PS4 should be able to do this at a bear minium out of the box.

With the promos being show, with the games being pushed, you expect the launch titles to set some benchmarks for the system, No question on the 360/PS3 there was a few titles that really showed off what the systems can do.

I do think MOST of these issues will be resolved once the SDK's are finaized, devs have the systems in their hands (as they could not during most of the building of these games) and the systems are updated to make the OS's on them run smoother.

It still does not take away the fact that it does not look good for ANY of these systems that one of the top AAA games of the year is only 720p or gives a low framerate on systems like this...

THey are not even released, This should of been resolved MONTHS AGO, not a 3-4 weeks before the system is even released.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree, but look at when the 360/PS3 launched. People brought up those same complaints, where instead of the '1080p' age, we were transitioning into the HD age. Yet, there were lots of games that just didn't run very well.

King Kong was one. Perfect Dark Zero was another. Madden 06 was terrible. Call of Duty 2 didn't look all that much different from the XBOX version.

I'm just saying, the same thing(s) happened in 2005/06.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The X1 exclusives (Ryse, Forza, DR3, Crimson Dragon) were all in development for X360 before they were delayed and tabbed for X1 launch. X1 is going to require developers to work differently from the ground up to optimize their games and hit 1080p/60fps. I believe it's do-able, but not when you are starting with legacy assets that were already heavily invested in. Kameo to this day is one of my favorite X360 games and that was a game that started life being developed for N64 -- so the half-generational improvement with launch titles doesn't mean they are necessarily crap.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Kameo is a game that they need to make a sequel for. It's time, its been 8 years. Come on, lets play in that beautiful forest again...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
As I partly agree with you (most of these issues will be ironed out as the system gets updated, etc) , it's still comes to the fact that you have a BRAND new system come out in a 1080p AGE (it's known even by my grandmother if it's in 1080p, it's going to look awsome for the most part). Xbox pushed in the promos all the high end graphics and sound, as all the demos showed games that looked like WOW. AGAIN, we are in a 1080p age, this is what it is, this is what most people's TVs can do, this is what the video formats are doing. Xbox one and PS4 should be able to do this at a bear minium out of the box.

Thing is, people were blown away by games like Ryse and Titanfall before they learned they weren't 1080p. It's not like they went from 1080p to 900p/720p (respectively) after the fact. People dog the Xbox because Ryse runs at 900p, but they talk up the PS4 because it plays Battlefield 4 at 900p at the same time, because it's 720p on the Xbox. If it was all about resolution, that wouldn't happen, but it's got a lot to do with the insecurities involved with investing hundreds of dollars (thousands, over the life of the console) into a platform, because it might have been the "wrong" one.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Kameo is a game that they need to make a sequel for. It's time, its been 8 years. Come on, lets play in that beautiful forest again...

Seemingly so many possibilities with this game and Kinect. Maybe innovate on the Skylanders approach to character ownership, add in a TV series, make the game last a generation through installments. X1 lacks an in-house family/platform title, this could be huge.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Thing is, people were blown away by games like Ryse and Titanfall before they learned they weren't 1080p. It's not like they went from 1080p to 900p/720p (respectively) after the fact. People dog the Xbox because Ryse runs at 900p, but they talk up the PS4 because it plays Battlefield 4 at 900p at the same time, because it's 720p on the Xbox. If it was all about resolution, that wouldn't happen, but it's got a lot to do with the insecurities involved with investing hundreds of dollars (thousands, over the life of the console) into a platform, because it might have been the "wrong" one.

Have we actually learned Titanfall's resolution somewhere? I've heard some guessings and rumors, but nothing official.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No, though we apparently learned that Dead Rising 3 is both 720p AND 30 FPS.

720p is likely, but I doubt on the 30fps having seen the game with my own eyes. Once I did notice it dipping that low when the dude rammed about a 100 zombies with a car, but no difference from the huge explosion in BF4 video, really. I can pretty safely say that DR3 does not run at a constant 30fps, I'd say it would have to be 45+, cos below that my eyes start to register "low FPS" games. It may not be 60 either like other games, but I'd say definitely above 45 for most of the gameplay.

Or then it would be the same kind thing like with TV and YouTube videos, that are often 30 FPS or less, but due to the motion blur you don't really notice it. I know there are some games that have used something similar, but typically speaking you can easily tell a game running at 30 FPS from one running 45-60.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes