Just lost my interest in Dead Rising 3...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Digital Foundry vs. Dead Rising 3 • Articles • Eurogamer.net

720p/30fps, and it still suffers frame rate issues. All information points to a current gen game that was ported to next gen. Looks like a great game, but I do not want to support lousy development.

Thoughts?

Saw this this morning... I guess we'll have to wait till it's released. I am sure that it will have a manatory update as soon as you plug in the game to adress these issues. I was kind of ticked off about the 720P limits on these release games but, I think I am over it for the time being. If we are still seeing 720p only games in 6 months from now, then it will be an issue.

I played Dead Rising 1 and 2, after a while, I got sick of the point of the game, trying to get from point A to point B in a time frame, The zombies after a while just got annoying and I lost interest in the game. The thrill of killing them got old very quickly, well maybe 3-4 hours into the game. I'm wondering if 3 will be just the same thing. Yea, it looks pretty but, if the game play is the same thing, then the game wont be great, at least for me.

I was not planning to grab this one on release and I might not, Unless there is a lack of titles for a while, till reviews or I find it on ebay for $20-25....

xcheater3161

Banned
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My disappointment is not with the 720p, but with the 30 fps. 720p is fine with me because I have faith in Microsoft's custom upscaler.

But 30fps is just unacceptable to me. Frame rate is more important than resolution when it comes to gaming.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The funny part about this is, you had no idea that the numbers weren't good enough for you until you read this :D

Just like Ryse was blowing minds when people saw footage, but when they heard the numbers it suddenly became a crappy ugly game that runs like ****. WTF is that?

I've seen DR3 live and I only saw one small FPS drop when the guy rammed a bout a hundred zombies in one pile with a car, no different from PS4 or PC getting a temporary FPS drop when something explodes in a fancy manner. DR3 looked nothing short of amazing and considering the amount of stuff of the screen, it was a whole lot more impressive than most of the herpderp games PS4 games that run at 1080p/60fps :p

I wouldn't say it's necessarily lousy development, I can't really come up with any games that has so much stuff on the screen occasionally, mostly the zombies. I mean Forza is 1080p/60 fps, but neither are there bazillion zombies on the screen all the time.

I would stop humping specs and just look at how the game runs, there are plenty of videos. From what I've seen on videos and live, that occasional FPS drop when you kill a hundred zombies in one go is definitely not something that bothered me.

The 30 fps of DR3 and fe. Ryse is weird. When my PC is running some game at 30 FPS, I can instantly tell that it's running choppy, I start noticing it below 45 FPS or so. When I saw both of those games live on the Xbox One on a FullHD TV, I didn't notice any choppy performance. I thought the game run at least at a solid 50 FPS cos my eyes did not register low FPS. I don't know how they do it, but I could not believe it was 30 FPS until it was officially confirmed.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
David - from what I've read the issues you've had with the previous DR games in gameplay have been addressed... There aren't a lot of time based missions as before. Mostly because the map is so big.

A question - if there was no tracker showing you where the framerate dips... would/could you even tell? I was trying to see if I could notice slowdown, but I couldn't really - I only knew it was there because the video was telling me it was there...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's been known for a while that it is 720p and 30 FPS, so not sure how that was news to you, I guess you just missed it. I've also already read that frame rate stutters occur while on fast-moving vehicles (not going to give the mess that is Digital Foundry any clicks). They've also said that the game was supposed to hit the 360, but they were beyond its hardware limits really quickly.

xcheater3161

Banned
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The funny part about this is, you had no idea that the numbers weren't good enough for you until you read this :D

Just like Ryse was blowing minds when people saw footage, but when they heard the numbers it suddenly became a crappy ugly game that runs like ****. WTF is that?

I've seen DR3 live and I only saw one small FPS drop when the guy rammed a bout a hundred zombies in one pile with a car, no different from PS4 or PC getting a temporary FPS drop when something explodes in a fancy manner. DR3 looked nothing short of amazing and considering the amount of stuff of the screen, it was a whole lot more impressive than most of the herpderp games PS4 games that run at 1080p/60fps :p

I wouldn't say it's necessarily lousy development, I can't really come up with any games that has so much stuff on the screen occasionally, mostly the zombies. I mean Forza is 1080p/60 fps, but neither are there bazillion zombies on the screen all the time.

I would stop humping specs and just look at how the game runs, there are plenty of videos. From what I've seen on videos and live, that occasional FPS drop when you kill a hundred zombies in one go is definitely not something that bothered me.

The problem is that I have only seen screenshots and Youtube videos. Youtube only supports 30fps, so I was not judging there. My eyes, I have found, are far better than most peoples, and for me 30 fps vs 60 fps is night and day. When it comes to PC gaming, I set my graphics settings to whatever is needed to get consistent 60 fps, even if it means the lowest settings possible.

60 fps is important, and it's something that I would have noticed right away if I bought the game.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You've also got to factor in that Digital Foundry and Eurogamer are incredibly Sony biased. They may well post a lot of info on Xbox stuff but none of it is ever positive news and the writing style is always critical rather than appraisal - as for the comments sections - I have never seen a more retched hive of scum and villainy.

xcheater3161

Banned
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
You've also got to factor in that Digital Foundry and Eurogamer are incredibly Sony biased. They may well post a lot of info on Xbox stuff but none of it is ever positive news and the writing style is always critical rather than appraisal - as for the comments sections - I have never seen a more retched hive of scum and villainy.

True, but the framerate is 30 fps for sure, and that's the dealbreaker for me. Very few games will be running at 30 fps next gen.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Another question - If you didn't know that the FPS of any game (whether on your PC or a console) would you then be able to tell? Or, are you filling in the info because you KNOW it isn't what you want, so your brain finds the 'problem' thus scaling down your enjoyment. Because you know you're missing out on something, but if you didn't know would it be OK?

I only ask, based off your final comment in this post - that you would've noticed it right away if it was anything less than 60FPS... would you know simply by 'seeing' it or would you know because you had 'heard' that it might not be, thus your brain is filling in the rest for you to 'see' the difference...

The problem is that I have only seen screenshots and Youtube videos. Youtube only supports 30fps, so I was not judging there. My eyes, I have found, are far better than most peoples, and for me 30 fps vs 60 fps is night and day. When it comes to PC gaming, I set my graphics settings to whatever is needed to get consistent 60 fps, even if it means the lowest settings possible.

60 fps is important, and it's something that I would have noticed right away if I bought the game.

xcheater3161

Banned
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Another question - If you didn't know that the FPS of any game (whether on your PC or a console) would you then be able to tell? Or, are you filling in the info because you KNOW it isn't what you want, so your brain finds the 'problem' thus scaling down your enjoyment. Because you know you're missing out on something, but if you didn't know would it be OK?

I only ask, based off your final comment in this post - that you would've noticed it right away if it was anything less than 60FPS... would you know simply by 'seeing' it or would you know because you had 'heard' that it might not be, thus your brain is filling in the rest for you to 'see' the difference...

Very good point, but I assure you that I have a skilled eye that can spot the difference.

If you put me in front of a screen for a frame rate test, without having anything to compare it to, I can most likely score 100% accuracy as to what is running at 60fps and what isn't. I know this isn't the case for most people, but my eyes are trained for 60 fps from so much PC gaming. :)

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd call BS on that :) only because it sounds like so many other people I know who have 'excellent taste/smell/sight' but when actually given a test to prove it end up doing far worse because they keep second guessing themselves. Its like people who can say, "I love Bud Lite but hate Miller or Coors! I can tell the difference!" and then when actually tested, they can't tell the difference at all. :)

I usually respond to them (with the beer stuff) that I can tell too. I can tell that they all taste terrible and that's what I'd say in that test compared to other beer with more flavor :)[
Very good point, but I assure you that I have a skilled eye that can spot the difference.

If you put me in front of a screen for a frame rate test, without having anything to compare it to, I can most likely score 100% accuracy as to what is running at 60fps and what isn't. I know this isn't the case for most people, but my eyes are trained for 60 fps from so much PC gaming. :)

xcheater3161

Banned
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
If you were really in to gaming, you'd be able to see that Dead Rising is such a boring/bad game. lol :trollface:

Bert, If you were into gaming, you would be able to beat my 100,000 point drift score on Old Down Hill on Figi in Forza 4.... BURN! ;) (joking of course, I know you like Forza)

xcheater3161

Banned
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd call BS on that ( :) )only because it sounds like so many other people I know who have 'excellent taste/smell/sight' but when actually given a test to prove it end up doing far worse because they keep second guessing themselves. Its like people who can say, "I love BudlLight but hate Miller or Coors! I can tell the difference!" and then when actually tested, they can't tell the difference at all. :)

I assure you that I can, but no sense arguing haha. My friends could vouch for me. I would always watch them play PC games and then tell them to drop their graphics settings more because they weren't getting a constant 60fps. I was always right when we checked Fraps or the in-game FPS console option in BF3. I play BF3 on lowest settings, even thought I have an Nvidia 660 GTX, just to be sure I have a 100% constant 60 FPS. It annoys me that much..... haha

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
SSDD. Every new gen of consoles, the first batch of games released sucks *** until devs stop taking shortcuts and put in the work to fully utilize a consoles power. Besides, I watched the 25 minute demo and it seemed fine.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Bert, If you were into gaming, you would be able to beat my 100,000 point drift score on Old Down Hill on Figi in Forza 4.... BURN! ;) (joking of course, I know you like Forza)

Pffft I could beat that with my eyes closed! I hover around 135,000 downhill! Of course I put in Forza 4 for the first time since GTA came out and my god I have lost all of my talent!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
True, but the framerate is 30 fps for sure, and that's the dealbreaker for me. Very few games will be running at 30 fps next gen.

The question you've got to ask yourself with DR3 is will it really matter? When your sitting there in your living room, lights off, alone, trying to stay calm so the Kinect doesn't pick up elevated heart rate and other noises to give your position away to the zombies are you really going to be that bothered that your creeping around at 30fps?

With the amount that's gone into that game with sheer size, numbers of zombies, no loading anywhere, Kinect functions and smartglass functions... Personally I will take the 30fps just for the game being truly next gen in every other area and making the most of the xbox one experience.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte