HDMI in...... Uses thread

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. Not hating on the One, mine arrives in a few hours. But the HDMI seems like a colossal waste for me. I don't have a set top box ir cable ir satellite box. So what is the point? I have considered buying a cyclone, so I can plug in and play all my films, without the limited range of file types that the xbox will play. I'm looking for some suggestions.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to hook up my 360 through it. Mostly so I can play ffxiii lightning returns when it comes out, and so I can keep watching TV with the xfinity app since there isn't one for the one yet.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting an HD digital receiver for off air broadcasts to plug into it, but it seems 100% pointless since i can just switch inputs on my TV. I wonder if the kinect can switch inputs on the TV much like the volume up command.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. Not hating on the One, mine arrives in a few hours. But the HDMI seems like a colossal waste for me. I don't have a set top box ir cable ir satellite box. So what is the point? I have considered buying a cyclone, so I can plug in and play all my films, without the limited range of file types that the xbox will play. I'm looking for some suggestions.

If you don't have a cable box then you just won't be using part of the functionality of the Xbone. If you wanted to you could plug an HTPC in, like I'm probably going to do. It's the same as hitting input really, instead you just switch internally and you can still snap stuff to the side, get skype call notifications, etc. If you switch input though and cut off the Xbone entirely you lose that multitasking ability.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping to plug in my cable box, but OneGuide won't be available to Canadians at launch, Microsoft apparently didn't reach a deal yet with my provider (Bell), or any Canadian vendor for that matter.

WilliamK1973

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I am sure they are working on that feverishly, as with other markets. I hope they are working with carriers to better integrate the two, and possible remove the cable box from the equation. It is old and crappy technology.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping to plug in my cable box, but OneGuide won't be available to Canadians at launch, Microsoft apparently didn't reach a deal yet with my provider (Bell), or any Canadian vendor for that matter.

Just out of curiosity do you have a source link for that? I'm not calling you out or anything, just curious as that would affect me as well (I'm with Telus).

EDIT: Nevermind found an article http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/xbox-one-premium-oneguide-features-arent-available-in-canada/

Shame. Typical Microsoft.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have a cable box then you just won't be using part of the functionality of the Xbone. If you wanted to you could plug an HTPC in, like I'm probably going to do. It's the same as hitting input really, instead you just switch internally and you can still snap stuff to the side, get skype call notifications, etc. If you switch input though and cut off the Xbone entirely you lose that multitasking ability.
HTPC? What is that?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out a way how to watch OTA (over-the-air) broadcast TV via my Xbox One. Right now I watch it via Windows Media Center on my PC but Xbox One doesn't have Windows Media Center extender functionality like the Xbox 360 does. They seemed so concerned with getting cable companies on board when, what they should've been trying to do is integrate Windows Media Player directly into Xbox One so that people could watch OTA TV via Xbox and use the One Guide feature. That would've been awesome.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity do you have a source link for that? I'm not calling you out or anything, just curious as that would affect me as well (I'm with Telus).

EDIT: Nevermind found an article Xbox One: Premium OneGuide features aren’t available in Canada | canada.com

Shame. Typical Microsoft.

Why would you immediately blame Microsoft when the fault most likely lies with the cable company? MS has tried working with cable companies for years and just bashed their head against a brick wall, hence Media Center being discontinued. MS can't get access to their guide data unless they allow it, I suspect they're still working out some kind of partnership/fee type thing. Maybe not, but I'd say that's more likely than MS dragging their feet. It's in their best interest to have all TV guide data on launch day, but they have to work with hundreds of cable providers, all with their own agendas, systems, etc.

HTPC? What is that?

Home theater PC.

I'm still trying to figure out a way how to watch OTA (over-the-air) broadcast TV via my Xbox One. Right now I watch it via Windows Media Center on my PC but Xbox One doesn't have Windows Media Center extender functionality like the Xbox 360 does. They seemed so concerned with getting cable companies on board when, what they should've been trying to do is integrate Windows Media Player directly into Xbox One so that people could watch OTA TV via Xbox and use the One Guide feature. That would've been awesome.

You can just route your media center in through the Xbone. Just pick up a USB IR blaster if you don't already have one, they sell them with a remote typically on amazon. That's what I'll be doing.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Why would you immediately blame Microsoft when the fault most likely lies with the cable company? MS has tried working with cable companies for years and just bashed their head against a brick wall, hence Media Center being discontinued. MS can't get access to their guide data unless they allow it, I suspect they're still working out some kind of partnership/fee type thing. Maybe not, but I'd say that's more likely than MS dragging their feet. It's in their best interest to have all TV guide data on launch day, but they have to work with hundreds of cable providers, all with their own agendas, systems, etc.

Because Microsoft has a history of rolling out services to the US first, then (sometimes months or even a year+) later to the rest of the world or select countries. Yes cable companies are probably partly to blame, but Microsoft has a very bad habit of showing of features that are usually limited to the US only, leaving the rest of us wondering "WTH?"

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how this will work with an HTPC with Windows Media Center. Will there be a guide?

You just plug it in and tell the Xbox to display TV. The computer will have to be controlled however the computer usually is. Might be a good idea to grab a wireless keyboard.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You just plug it in and tell the Xbox to display TV. The computer will have to be controlled however the computer usually is. Might be a good idea to grab a wireless keyboard.

You won't need a keyboard for the Media Center interface, it's fullscreen and works via remote just like a cable box. Assuming you have the remote as well. This SHOULD do it but I haven't tested it. I'll know tomorrow. :)

Amazon.com: Genuine Microsoft RC1534034/00, OVU400307/00 Remote Control Bundle By DELL, For Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, And Media Center Edition, Compatible Dell Part Number: KF659: Electronics

If you have a wireless keyboard though that would help when it's time to search for shows to record or if you actually want to drop to desktop.

I wonder how this will work with an HTPC with Windows Media Center. Will there be a guide?

When you ask will there be a guide, have you ever used Media Center before for cable TV? You'll want to figure that out first.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am talking about the integrated guide.

Ah. Well from what I've seen in videos during setup you'll input your location and cable provider and it will set up your OneGuide just like it did with Media Center. The OneGuide will then control your Media Center guide via voice or controller. The only thing you won't be able to do via voice/controller is access prior recordings (I think). You'll need your previous remote for that almost guaranteed. You can pause/resume live TV though because those are just IR commands passed through, same as volume up/down, channel switching, etc.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Ah. Well from what I've seen in videos during setup you'll input your location and cable provider and it will set up your OneGuide just like it did with Media Center. The OneGuide will then control your Media Center guide via voice or controller. The only thing you won't be able to do via voice/controller is access prior recordings (I think). You'll need your previous remote for that almost guaranteed. You can pause/resume live TV though because those are just IR commands passed through, same as volume up/down, channel switching, etc.

I highly doubt it will work with an HTPC. Looks liek it was designed for the cable box

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt it will work with an HTPC. Looks liek it was designed for the cable box

Look at it like this. All it needs to work is a copy of your guide data and an IR to blast. The USB IR blaster provides that and you tell it what guide data to use during setup. Basically there shouldnt be a reason it won't work because it doesn't act any different than a cable box. When you say Xbox go to CNN it will literally just type in the CNN channel number as if you did it on the remote.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Look at it like this. All it needs to work is a copy of your guide data and an IR to blast. The USB IR blaster provides that and you tell it what guide data to use during setup. Basically there shouldnt be a reason it won't work because it doesn't act any different than a cable box. When you say Xbox go to CNN it will literally just type in the CNN channel number as if you did it on the remote.

So you're saying I can watch free OTA TV broadcasts via Windows Media Center on my PC, then use a USB IR blaster to connect it to the Xbox One, and then I can use Xbox's OneGuide feature, including voice controls, to view the TV lineup and change channels? Or am I misinterpreting what you guys are talking about?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel