Xbox one...No 1080i support ? Really ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think this could be a topic to write a doctor thesis about.

I'm sure it's been done before. Trying to figure out the logic of how a woman's mind works is for a totaly different discussion, not something for the likes of WPcentral. If you find one, PM me a link, I would love to read it.

Now everyone can see the "boat" I am in... Now just find a way to get to work. I just have a feeling if Microsoft does enable support, it might not happen for months. Here I am with a sweet brand new console that I can't even use :(

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So, I got my Xbox one yesterday. Connect my HDMI cable up and I get 5.1 sound but, no picture.WTF ?

I have a older large screen TV, it only supports 1080i, no 720p or 1080p. I read over the specs on the xbox one before ordering and it said 720p or higher TV. Pages done over the last 2 weeks shows no 1080i support, ONLY 720p and 1080p (from early release or target early getters).

Anyone run into this issue ?

I hope MS releases a patch for this or I am moving my Xbox one to a small tv every day to use it and cant use it in my Theater room and that sucks...

I've tweet'ed @xboxsupport on this and No reply over 20 hours now.....after about 3-4 tweets...

For those saying "just replace the old tv" No, not yet, I am planning to get a 65"(current set is 65") or larger 4K when prices drop a little in spring time. So it will be happening but,not for another 6-8 months if everything works out..

Man, this sucks....

PS. Yea, I a Xbox fan but, just to note, the PS4 has 1080i support right out of the box...

I bought a 55" Samsung 4K (2160p) TV. Best choice ever.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Must be a CRT? Lots of old CRTs only support 480p and 1080i (the scan rate of 480p and 1080i is almost the same. 720p is much higher).

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's crazy, no 720p on the TV and no 1080i on the xbox one. HDMI was/is a pain enough on the xbox 360. I figured they'd have made it a little less fussy on the new console.

I purchased a used 62 inch DLP set for $100 off of craigslist. It's an older set but it does 1080p and 3D.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I can get a scaller to drop 1080p to 1080i, that would work in this case but, in a cost between $300-400 for a good one. That is a little much in my eyes. It should be doable in software with out any overhead....I guess time will tell...

You can get an upscaler for like $30 on amazon, and although I've only ever used mine from 480p to 1080p (with the Wii), $30 may be cheap but it's a huge noticeable improvement.

To scale to 1080i is oddly specific and no one in their right mind would ever want to do that normally, so you may have trouble finding a product that does this. And you do not want to buy "a good one" for $400 if your end goal is to decrease the output quality! You probably can find an hdmi to component adapter, then an upscaler that supports 1080i.

My advice is to research your next TV better. For example, I have an older samsung plasma tv, and it can accept *any* input. TV only "supports" 720p, but I can pump 1600x1200 into it (or higher!) from my PC and it will display the image with no fuss. (I'm aware there are only 1280x720 pixels in the TV, but higher resolutions give me more space on the PC desktop to work with, and you can only notice the distortion when reading text).

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Must be a CRT? Lots of old CRTs only support 480p and 1080i (the scan rate of 480p and 1080i is almost the same. 720p is much higher).

I have a CRT in the garage, and it supported both 720p AND 1080i. I'd always pick the 1080i for the better resolution though. (Framerate doesn't bug me quite as much as it bugs others.)

Though I'm honestly wondering how far 4k will realistically go. People are only going to be so willing to re-buy all their movies/TV over and over again. I only took the Blu-ray jump because of 3D. Most of the re-purchased movies are re-rendered animated films. If animated movies got to the point where they could render in real-time on a computer, like a flash animation, I could see it being worth it. But for now, 4k to me is merely an annoyance aimed at football fans who don't really know the difference and will probably watch stretched SD broadcasts without even realizing it.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a CRT in the garage, and it supported both 720p AND 1080i. I'd always pick the 1080i for the better resolution though. (Framerate doesn't bug me quite as much as it bugs others.)

Though I'm honestly wondering how far 4k will realistically go. People are only going to be so willing to re-buy all their movies/TV over and over again. I only took the Blu-ray jump because of 3D. Most of the re-purchased movies are re-rendered animated films. If animated movies got to the point where they could render in real-time on a computer, like a flash animation, I could see it being worth it. But for now, 4k to me is merely an annoyance aimed at football fans who don't really know the difference and will probably watch stretched SD broadcasts without even realizing it.

-Uses 1080i over 720p
-Looks down on "football fans" for watching stretched SD.

You don't have to angle your head down very far to look down on them I reckon :p

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You can get an upscaler for like $30 on amazon, and although I've only ever used mine from 480p to 1080p (with the Wii), $30 may be cheap but it's a huge noticeable improvement.

To scale to 1080i is oddly specific and no one in their right mind would ever want to do that normally, so you may have trouble finding a product that does this. And you do not want to buy "a good one" for $400 if your end goal is to decrease the output quality! You probably can find an hdmi to component adapter, then an upscaler that supports 1080i.

My advice is to research your next TV better. For example, I have an older samsung plasma tv, and it can accept *any* input. TV only "supports" 720p, but I can pump 1600x1200 into it (or higher!) from my PC and it will display the image with no fuss. (I'm aware there are only 1280x720 pixels in the TV, but higher resolutions give me more space on the PC desktop to work with, and you can only notice the distortion when reading text).

I didn't want a upscaler, as that would take 480p and bost it up to 1080i, what I want to do, is convert 1080p to 1080i... So, down scaling is what I needed here

Found this...

Atlona? AV Distribution Solutions for Commercial and Residential Applications

Picked it up a used one for almost nothing, as these things go for close to $400. I guess we'll see how well it works when it gets here. My only wonder if it adds lag, if that is the case, I might get it to work but, wont be able to use it because of the lag...

To answer the question, it's a older RPG, 9" guns... 65". It works great and has an awsome picture but, it sucks that I need to have something like this just to use a console...

Know what would really suck ? If Microsoft a week from now enables 1080i mode after buying this device...but, it's my luck so I am sure it will happen...

Yep, the same old question..... People had VHS, and moved to Laserdisk, then moved to DVD, now Blu-ray... It happens in every market, with every type of device, dam think about the music market, remember cassettes ? How about 8-Track ? Do you rember installing Microsoft office from floppy disc ? Yep 43 discs... Same old stuff.

The thing about 4K, it will be a Blu-ray player, so you will upgrade your blu-ray player, it will play blu-ray and 4K, so, your blu-ray/DVD will play back fine but, if you want the newer 4K, then you buy a new disk...

It's happens every 20 years in this market for a full change to a new format, a few people complain but, they accept it for a better quailty...

Last edited:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I would have suggested setting the Xbox to 720p then using an upscale to get 1080i, as that likely could be done cheap. But if you got that box for under 70USD then that works too.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I would have suggested setting the Xbox to 720p then using an upscale to get 1080i, as that likely could be done cheap. But if you got that box for under 70USD then that works too.

Yep, just a little under with shipping :)

I would think that 1080p to 1080i would keep most of the quailty and the Xbox one will see it as a 1080p tv... so as long as there is no LAG, it should all work fine... Again it's a pain that I had to do this....Think about it, it could of been another Xbox one game I could of gotten <g>

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
-Uses 1080i over 720p
-Looks down on "football fans" for watching stretched SD.

You don't have to angle your head down very far to look down on them I reckon :p

Think what you like. I've seen a few too many "HD" TVs displaying virtually nothing but encoding artifacts while the oblivious users jumped and cheered. The tool is only as good as the user. While we know our way around these, most people who walk into the electronics section of a store see nothing but "big" or "bigger". Salesmen impress them with big, fancy numbers and it goes way over their heads.

For the nerdy among us, it's a good thing. A game rendering in 4k would be pretty darn sweet. But for people just watching movies it seems like overkill. Sheesh, all the poster-boys of 3D movies were upconverted, including the animated movies, and that was for their big screen releases. I doubt anybody noticed.

It's happens every 20 years in this market for a full change to a new format, a few people complain but, they accept it for a better quailty...

VHS lasted 20 years, true. Other formats have died very quickly. Including LD, a proprietary "video record" format by RCA, etc. DVD is slowly dying.

I think eventually Blu-ray will be overtaken by digital downloads, and at some point you'll buy it once and not worry about it again. That's simply the way things are going, and companies will eventually have to differentiate purchases by the extra content. Blu-ray always struck me as a last ditch effort to hang onto physical media, and it was kind of an unnecessary step IMO.

Last edited:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Think what you like. I've seen a few too many "HD" TVs displaying virtually nothing but encoding artifacts while the oblivious users jumped and cheered. The tool is only as good as the user. While we know our way around these, most people who walk into the electronics section of a store see nothing but "big" or "bigger". Salesmen impress them with big, fancy numbers and it goes way over their heads.

For the nerdy among us, it's a good thing. A game rendering in 4k would be pretty darn sweet. But for people just watching movies it seems like overkill. Sheesh, all the poster-boys of 3D movies were upconverted, including the animated movies, and that was for their big screen releases. I doubt anybody noticed.

Just pointing out an incongruence in your point of view. You look down on others for not noticing stretching and quality, others can look down on you for not noticing the butchering effects of interlacing. Really what it boils down to is- ignorance is bliss. The more we as nerds/geeks learn, the more money and tweaking it takes for us to enjoy something. Meanwhile people watching SD football are just enjoying the game; they don't watch tv like we do- they watch what's *on* the tv. I envy people like that. As an audiophile I can hardly listen to music without lugging around my gear.

I mean, people back in the day, listening to sports via radio... I bet the guy who bought a new shiny radio looked down on everyone else because their radios had slightly more static than his. In 10 years the difference between SD and "HD" video will be as petty as the difference between an old radio that has a slightly clearer signal than an older radio.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You look down on others for not noticing stretching and quality, others can look down on you for not noticing the butchering effects of interlacing.

That's like looking at a little kid's clumsy attempt at pottery and arguing that all ceramics are worthless and ugly.

Interlacing is something that was invented to add smoothness and resolution. When done correctly it does just that. When done improperly it gives the "butchered" effect you mentioned. I have *never* seen it show on video games on the 360 (the system was smart enough to use it properly), but it will show in an improperly encoded video.

Interlacing is still pretty widely used. Some 3DTVs use it with passive frames to give the 3D image. You're not going to notice unless you have your nose to the screen.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it... Maybe I'm too tired or something, but you mentioned that they said the xbox will support 720p or higher. And as far as I got it right from your comments you think that 1080i is "higher" than 720p. Which is not the case... (480p<1080i<720p<1080p)...but because you saying that you have an "educated look" you know that (the 1080i<720p thing) for sure. So, as I already said, I am not quite sure why you are surprised. I mean... Of course it would be nice for the new xbox to support 1080i... but the quality is not really "next gen" like so I get it why MS did not have that support as high prio.. You said at one point that 480p is not accaptable, yet you want 1080i (which is actually 540p)...soooo.... I really don't get it...

I really hope you somehow can enjoy the xbox though! Let us hope ms can help

edit: just to make it clear: I know that "on paper" 1080i has more detail. I'm not talking about that... I'm talking about real world use.

EndoFury

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Sigh....so many people don't know what they're talking about but act like they do. 1080i is in fact a higher resolution than 720p. To me, I'd define that as "better". Interlacing doesn't create artifacts, DEINTERLACING does. HDCRT's don't need to deinterlace like digital displays (LCD, Plasma, DLP) do, so essentially 1080i is superior to 720p in all cases on them except when content exceeds 30 frames per second. Few games are 60fps and even then, they still produce 60 unique fields per second which still allows you to perceive a higher framerate than 30fps, but technically they're not 60 true frames, but rather, 60 fields/30 frames. No human alive can see any negative butchering of the image on an analog display due to interlacing because black on a CRT is truly the absence of light, unlike on a digital display where it's a pixel displaying black.

And enough with the 540p garbage. That's only true in terms of BANDWIDTH, not resolution. So yeah, a broadcast stream of 1080i uses less bandwidth than 720p, but the resolution is over 2x higher!

It's absolutely shameful that the Xbone doesn't support 1080i. It's an NTSC standard for good reason.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think eventually Blu-ray will be overtaken by digital downloads, and at some point you'll buy it once and not worry about it again. That's simply the way things are going, and companies will eventually have to differentiate purchases by the extra content. Blu-ray always struck me as a last ditch effort to hang onto physical media, and it was kind of an unnecessary step IMO.

I would not count on it. Sure if you want DVD quality or low bandwith 1080p sure. When you rip a blu-ray it's around 29gb, No one has the bandwith to stream a movie like that. OR even downloading it on a good connection would take over an hour to download (and I bet most people it would take hours, like the discussion of downloading a Xbox one game to play right away).

I guess it really comes down to what is acceptable for people for quality of the video. Sure you can download a 10gb rip of a movie and it looks great but, when you talk off a blu-ray disk, your getting uncompressed video (or very low compression) and full bandwith 10.1 digital audio. Streaming sources could not even compete with this.

I did something to compare quality, yea, on my 1080i RPG tv. I downloaded a 10gb rip of Avatar (a very well done movie with video and audio), and I picked up the Blu-ray disc. Even on my set and my older 5.1 setup, the blu-ray detail was so much better and the audio was as well. It was very noticeable.

As people have accepted MP3's for most of their music but, if you know about audio, Nothing can beat the quality of a well Done (Digital to Digital) CD recording or even a LP in some cases. It's all about what people will accept for quality. For me, I will take the blu-ray over the ultra compressed versions..

Digital HD videos have a long way to go before they are accepted for everyone...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb