What Xbox One Title Did you Buy? (Or, if several, which do you recommend)?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious what other people have bought for their Xbox One as I'm having a hard time choosing a game from the long list of launch titles (sorry, I had a typo on Killer Instinct).

I'm interested most in the following
Call of Duty: Ghosts (only because all my friends got it, but I hesitate because I'm getting 3 FPS games next year in Titanfall, Destiny, and Halo 5)

Ryse (looks gorgeous, but the reviews are mixed)

FIFA 14 (The demo was fun, but I think it might be too confusing since I know very little about soccer)

Assassin's Creed (nothing bad to say about this game; it's getting decent reviews, but I worry it will be too involved and time consuming)

Dead Rising 3 (looks to be the most fun, but suffers from some difficult boss battles, it seems)

EmceeGeek

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded my 360 Call of Duty Ghosts to the Xbox One version because it was $10 extra. Battlefield 4 was the first title I bought a few days before release of the X1. Killer Instinct is cool, it's free in the store if you didn't know.

As far as the other games, I would try dead rising 3 but after watching the gameplay I believe I'll rent it before I buy it. Ryse is completely out of the question for me.

Forza 5 & Need for Speed are my next purchases. I'm waiting for Black Friday to pick those up. I might also get AC Black Flag.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ryse has been good fun for me. Looks gorgeous and theres a decent story. Not too difficult either, which suits me fine.

MohamedIdle

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I got the Xbox One Day One Edition which came with Fifa 14. I also purchased Forza 5, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghost, Madden 25, Ryse, NBA 2K14.

Out of all the games so far I would have to say that Forza 5 is the most awesome. I can't wait to play Ryse as soon as I feel better from this terrible flu.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Ryse has been good fun for me. Looks gorgeous and theres a decent story. Not too difficult either, which suits me fine.

Yeah, actually, when I was reading reviews online it got so-so reviews from professional critics (however, I notice that it is getting good ratings on Xbox.com from gamers who have it), the biggest knock was that the battle system was overly simplified, but I kind of wondered if that would actually be a plus for me. I haven't played any console games since the Sega Dreamcast back in 1999, and while I appreciate games that are fun and challenging, it seems to me that many games these days are just ridiculously complex, having to learn all sorts of stuff just to play the game. So, I was thinking about Ryse because it looks gorgeous and also because you don't have to take a semester-long college course in learning how to play it. I really wish there was a free demo so I could try it out. I don't get why publishers don't do this: it will only help sales (people sitting on the fence will try it out and if they like it, buy it; but without a trial, no one sitting on the fence is just going to drop $60 blindly).

Seems like a lot of people on here like Forza! I never was that into racing games, though. I am disappointed in Killer Instinct because it seems like such a fun game but it's just way too difficult to master. I couldn't even get past the 10th Dojo practice session. Inputting commands and combos is too finicky. Why they choose such weird button combinations is beyond me: R, D, diagonal RD + LB and stuff like that. The fun of the game should come in remembering when to make what moves, not in remembering + successfully inputting some clumsy button combination. Such a shame because the game is otherwise really well put together.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Dead Rising 3!! It's a lot of fun. I guess some of the boss battles are a bit tough (I personally wouldn't say DIFFICULT), but half of the struggle is figuring out just HOW you need to defeat them. I wouldn't say ridiculously tough, but it is (fortunately!) not child's play simple. I do like a bit of challenge and/or strategy with my boss fights. If you follow me (gamertag Mystictrust) and let me know you're coip from here, I'll make it a point to record some game clips from future boss battles if you want to see. Then again, there are probably a ton on YouTube by now anyway.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I voted Zoo Tycoon. If you're actually interested in those types of games (namely Roller Coaster Tycoon), I think this will be a really neat game. Forza seems like a scam at this point, given that they downgraded the graphics from E3 to launch and cut the cars all the way down to 207, then offered a bunch up as DLC (Gran Turismo 6 is apparently coming with 1,000+ cars, for comparison). Ryse looks awesome, but it seems like the combat system would get old and redundant quickly. Assassin's Creed is similar (at least for me, through the first two games), but the story is somewhat unique and engaging. CoD just sounds terrible this time, while Battlefield sounds like a better game with more flaws in the short-term (at least on PC). Dead Rising sounds like it was rushed out 6 months early, so the FPS is really unstable and the general quality isn't great (720p @ 30 FPS).

All of that said, this is probably how I'd rank my choices, for the top-10, at least:

1. Zoo Tycoon
2. Need for Speed: Rivals
3. Battlefield 4
4. Assasin's Creed IV: Black Flag
5. Ryse: Son of Rome
6. NBA 2K14
7. Call of Duty: Ghosts
8. Forza Motorsport 5
9. Dead Rising 3
10. Madden 25

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I hear CoD Ghosts and Battlefield 4 being knocked by many reviewers as just 'more of the same'. However, if you're like me and have never played any CoD or Battlefield game, then perhaps those games are amazing?

I had high hopes for Ryse and Dead Rising 3, so it's disappointing neither are as good as they could've been. Still not sure which of the games I might get. I guess it's still between Ryse, DR3, Assassin's Creed, and FIFA 14 (but would also consider CoD since all my friends have it or maybe even Forza as it's getting stellar reviews and the number of cars is still about 180 more than I'll ever use).

The Xbox One launch list is impressive in that there are a lot of games, quite a few exclusives, and many of both are really solid games, but there is no 'killer app', so to speak like there was with Soul Calibur back in 1999 on the Dreamcast (yeah, that's the last console launch I took part in so that's the only reference I've got, ha ha).

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So far, I have Ryse, Forza, Powerstar Golf, and Killer Instinct.

Honestly, I think Ryse is the most fun. I know it's gotten hammered in the reviews, and I can almost understand why. Saying that, the game is just brutal fun. The graphics are amazing, it controls extremely well, it's a stress reliever, the story is surprisingly decent (it's like playing an action movie). Also, it never gets too difficult but throws a few boss battles at you that make you utilize everything you've learned about the combat system. It's probably the biggest gaming surprise for me in years. The game is just long enough so you don't feel like you've been ripped off but not so long that you don't want to start over again. I've already started over again on Legendary difficulty.

Forza is exactly what you'd expect. It's Forza with a more epic soundtrack and pretty graphics - it is amazing however. And don't overlook the utilization of the trigger rumble capabilities of the XB1 controller on this one - it's very engrossing.

Powerstar Golf is a surprisingly fun game as well. It's a borderline simulation golf game wrapped in Pixar visuals. You have to work quite hard to unlock things, however.

Killer Instinct is brutal fun but you really have to spend $20, in my opinion, to get anything out of the game. If you are a fan of ANY fighting games, this is a must own.

neo9903

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have Forza, Dead Rising 3 and Fifa.

Dead Rising 3 is awsome, i really like it.
Forza runs smooth and is fun, but has a little less tracks.
I haven't tried Fifa yet.
I would recommend DR3 and Forza 5.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I am disappointed in Killer Instinct because it seems like such a fun game but it's just way too difficult to master. I couldn't even get past the 10th Dojo practice session. Inputting commands and combos is too finicky. Why they choose such weird button combinations is beyond me: R, D, diagonal RD + LB and stuff like that. The fun of the game should come in remembering when to make what moves, not in remembering + successfully inputting some clumsy button combination. Such a shame because the game is otherwise really well put together.
well the truth I dont find anything wrong with the buttons... BUT you should know, if you really want to play fighting games you should get a stick, simple as that. when i play fighting games with controller, it feels awkward, because you have to input so fast it makes it not hard... but not natural to do it. of course I used to go to Arcades so thats why i think stick is better than controller, but I also was good on PC with mouse and keyboard playing fighting games, I can do alot of combos and moves and specials, but again... it wont ever feel the same controller/mouse and keyboard to a nice stick... well even a cheap stick would feel better. so maybe you dont like the moves in Ki but to me they are alright but in the ending, talking about fighting games if you really want to be good at it, you should get a stick, and dont expect the game to be "easier" for the controller input. I mean... even KI when i played it in Snes (i still have it) was never as easy and nice, as playing it on arcade.

anyway talking about this thread I would recomment Ryse, i still dont understand reviews and "repetitive gameplay" I mean... every game is repetitive is not like if you play CoD or battlefield you would do something else than shooting people around. alot of people its like "but you only battle 4 type of models" but well thats how game development works... sometimes you get more, sometimes you just dont. look at something like hotline miami, same enemies but the game is fun and repetitive and short. so dont get bad reviews when Ryse multiplayer is really really good. and for people saying its easy... well legendary isnt that easy if you want something more challenging. Also I liked Powerstar Golf and Crimson Dragon, cheap but nice games.
now I only hope Project Spark beta for Xbox One will be out in couple months, still we havent gotten Windows 8 beta, but it would be nice to use kinect to record moves and voice. so I dont think we would get Project Spark until march or something ending February for Xbox One. if it was only a lunch title, it would have made Xbox One sell even better, but KI, Ryse, Powerstar Golf and CD are good to me.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I got Forza 5, Ghosts and Ryse. Did the digital download of Ghosta and Ryse due to having Microsoft points cash (slow downloads for sure). Forza is awsome but, only 14 tracks, really ? Ghosts looks better than the 360 version but, not by a huge difference, and Ryse is great looking, no question but, I found it to be more of a "hack and slash" type game over all, a little disppointed in it over all but, it's ok.

I look forward to Watch Dogs and Titalfall....Then I can put this "One" to work :)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Killer Instinct: I used to be really good at fighting games: particularly Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. I never had any problems with the complicated button command inputs. But with Killer Instinct on Xbox One, I'll input what I think is the command (for more difficult commands, that is) and it'll work maybe 20% of the time. It's just not responsive and it's really frustrating, especially when trying to link combos and use Ultras. It's nearly impossible for me to do, and I shouldn't have to get a special joystick controller to enjoy the game.

FIFA 14: I was intrigued by the game even though I don't know jack about soccer, but I just found out you can't play the World Cup in it. I was hoping to play as countries vs. other countries in the World Cup. I heard that there is a new game coming out next year called FIFA: World Cup 2014: Brazil that will have that. Still, maybe I'm better off without this game as I think I'm at a huge disadvantage not growing up with soccer knowledge. I played 5 demo games and lost or drew 0-1, 0-0, 1-2, 0-2, 0-0. I only scored 1 goal in 5 games. Yikes.

Still thinking about Ryse or Dead Rising 3. But the games I'm most excited about are coming next year:
Mirror's Edge
Titanfall
Sunset Overdrive
Destiny
Halo 5
Project Spark

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Killer Instinct: I used to be really good at fighting games: particularly Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. I never had any problems with the complicated button command inputs. But with Killer Instinct on Xbox One, I'll input what I think is the command (for more difficult commands, that is) and it'll work maybe 20% of the time. It's just not responsive and it's really frustrating, especially when trying to link combos and use Ultras. It's nearly impossible for me to do, and I shouldn't have to get a special joystick controller to enjoy the game.

like I said... controllers are perfectly fine, if you cant do it, well..then Killer Instinct is not for you, like i said, I have played with keyboard, and controller. and I always was good and had fun with fighting games, even on emulator with the input lag that may happen, but I still had fun and didnt complain about the input.
but what i meant in my message was if you really want to be good at fighting games you need a fighting stick... do you think fighting tournaments play with controller? even in Microsoftstudios stream, Ruka decided to go stick in KI3 because its better for fighting games and he was playing against viewers. but you get it or dont get it, but its not a secret a fighting stick would make everything easier and better. not a need, but if you really care about the fighting game, you should get it if you want to be better. again, tournaments do it with a stick, because controller wouldnt give you the best input most of the times. but controller is not a problem for alot of people, so some are good, some are bad, and end.

try playing KoFXIII (which is easier than previous KoFs, reason why i dislike it) and try doing all those HD super mega silly damage lame combos with a controller and im sure it might not be easy task, and some people have problems with it vs using a stick. because its obvious stick for fighting games is a must if you want to win online and be good at it.

and its obvious Soul Calibur is not Killer Instinct 1/2/3... so if you try to compare them... its a mistake. but again, apparently KI is just not for you. having played too many fighting games, i will say the controllers are not bad at all, but I wont play with a controller if I care about winning and get better at it, especially when you play online. with friends controllers are enough, but online is different.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Renting ACIV and COD. Both are good, but will not make you feel you are playing a next gen game. It's clear to me they are more built around last gen, but that's ok. This is my first AC since part 2 and not a whole lot has changed with gameplay. Same with COD. Really wanting to try Dead Rising.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I hear CoD Ghosts and Battlefield 4 being knocked by many reviewers as just 'more of the same'. However, if you're like me and have never played any CoD or Battlefield game, then perhaps those games are amazing?

I had high hopes for Ryse and Dead Rising 3, so it's disappointing neither are as good as they could've been. Still not sure which of the games I might get. I guess it's still between Ryse, DR3, Assassin's Creed, and FIFA 14 (but would also consider CoD since all my friends have it or maybe even Forza as it's getting stellar reviews and the number of cars is still about 180 more than I'll ever use).

The Xbox One launch list is impressive in that there are a lot of games, quite a few exclusives, and many of both are really solid games, but there is no 'killer app', so to speak like there was with Soul Calibur back in 1999 on the Dreamcast (yeah, that's the last console launch I took part in so that's the only reference I've got, ha ha).

Ehh, it depends on what you're used to playing. Call of Duty will always fit into the realm of "easy to jump into" shooters. I actually hadn't played CoD or Halo in a long time, and when I went and jumped into Black Ops II last Wednesday, I was immediately doing really well (went, like, 22-8 in my first match). We switched to Halo, and I was mostly mediocre, even going negative on the K-D on a few occasions. CoD does what it does well every other year. Ever since MW2, the Infinity Ward installments (MW2, MW3, and Ghosts) have been garbage, at least compared to the Black Ops titles from Treyarch. But, to put it bluntly, CoD games are notoriously easy as a whole, and they rock the Target Assist (where your sight automatically drags towards an enemy, making staying on him easier) WAY too hard, taking a lot of the challenge out of the games. Battlefield 4 might be amazing to a new person (I've never played ANY Battlefield games before, but I wasn't really impressed with the beta from this one on 360), depending on the shooters you've played before. Ghosts will be an average-at-best title to anyone who has played ANY shooter (Halo, Unreal, Quake, Battlefield, Team Fortress) before because while it can be fun, it's also the least-impressive of them all.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone played the Lego game? I only have Forza right now, and i want to pick 1 more up since there's not another announced game until Feb. I would like one that has local multiplayer, which really limits me to sports games, lego, golf, and COD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786