The Xbox One DVR Share & Upload Thread

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My friends and I are really excited about the game clip sharing features of Xbox One, but we're a little confused by it's implementation right now. It seems that saving, editing, uploading, and sharing a clip involves 4 different apps, 2 different devices, and a lot of ambiguity. Correct me if I'm wrong and there is a simpler way:

1. Game DVR: You can either snap this app while playing a game (Xbox, snap Game DVR) and then 'start' and 'end' recording to record a clip. Or, because Xbox is always live recording a 5-minute cache of game footage, you can simply choose to 'end clip', choose how far back you want it [30 seconds, 1 minutes, etc.] and then edit the front end later. Or, if you're in the heat of battle and don't have time to bring up the Game DVR, for a quicker recording method you can say, "Xbox, record that" to record the previous 30 seconds of gameplay.

2. Upload: After you record a clip you go to this app to view the clip. Here you can also view your other clips, your friends' clips, and strangers' clips. This is like a general shared space of game clip uploads that you can view by friends or by games, or simply focus on your own recorded game clips.

3. Upload Studio: If you want to edit and upload one of your clips, select the clip in Upload and choose to edit it, which will then automatically take you to this app where you can trim clips, add some fancy bells and whistles, and so forth. Once you edit it, you can either 'upload' it (to the general public, for viewing in Upload and for viewing in the game Store) or 'upload and upload it to SkyDrive' (so it will do the former and it will also add it to SkyDrive so you can share it with friends).

4. SkyDrive: If you want to share the clip with friends you then have to go to SkyDrive on your PC (I can't seem to find a way to share it via the SkyDrive app on Xbox One), go to the video clip, and then share it by manually typing in friends' email addresses (or post the link on Facebook). They'll get the message (on their phones, tablets, or PCs, but not on their Xbox), click the link, and then watch the clip via skydrive.com. To do this go to SkyDrive > Pictures > Xbox GameDVR and then right-click on the file and select 'share' from the context menu to get a URL link.

I'm not sure why don't they have one app for all of these steps. Having a separate app to record, another to edit, another to upload, and another to share surely seems needlessly complicated right now. The sharing part, in particular, is very cumbersome (having to both know and remember my friends' email addresses, switching from the Xbox to the PC, etc.). I think they need to put implement all of this into one app, and I hope they do this in a future update. For instance, go simply to Game DVR to make, edit, upload, and share your clip. After you edit and upload it you should be able to share it by going through your Xbox friends list and selecting gamer tags (multiple at a time). Then, when they log into Xbox One, like getting a Message, they should get a notification to view my game clip. That would be better.

What I think would be really cool is to have kind of a shared video upload space that only you and your "favorites" can share to and post messages. That would be fun as you play each other in Killer Instinct or FIFA or whatever and upload clips taunting each other, and then your other "favorites" get message notifications of the new posts--or it is added as a section on the Xbox One dashboard like a Facebook-style news feed. Anyway, even if that is too much, they still need to simplify the Game DVR sharing experience: you should be able to do all of it from one app, and from the Xbox One console only (for both sharing and viewing shared videos). For now, though, the steps listed above seem to be the only option.

Last edited:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
re: The Xbox One DVR Share & Upload Thread

I dont see any of my game clips on my skydrive... HMMMM
1. You have to upload them via Upload Studio on Xbox One. It'll give you the option to just "upload" it, or to "upload and save to SkyDrive." The former simply uploads it for general viewing (say, if you go to a game in the Store, there will be a section of game clips--those are clips other gamers uploaded by doing the 'upload' option in Upload Studios). The latter does the former as well as uploads it to your SkyDrive so that you can then share it with friends on other mediums (e.g. send out an email link, post a link on Facebook, etc.).
2. To find the game clips that you uploaded to SkyDrive via Upload Studio, go to SkyDrive > Pictures > Xbox Game DVR. Then, to share those clips, right click on the file and select 'Share' from the context menu that pops up.

I'll add that info to the original post for greater clarity.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I would like the option to stop it, or even do it via a button press. Playing FIFA it just does not stop.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I would like the option to stop it, or even do it via a button press. Playing FIFA it just does not stop.
Are you referring to the feature where some games will automatically record moments for you? If so, I must say I love that feature, but I agree with you that one should be able to turn it off, as some games abuse it more than others. That said, you can easily just ignore it. It temporarily saves the clips in your Upload app. But if you don't manually save them, they'll automatically delete after awhile.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Good to know that they delete. FIFA is a fiend for abusing it. Excellent for some moments, in fact it is indispensible for some. But every save?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

coip, I think you're over-complicating it a bit in your head.

1st: You do not have to previously "start" recording from Game DVR. No previous foresight needed. Go ahead, try it out. In the middle of a game sometime, just say "Xbox, Snap Game DVR" and you'll have the option to 'End Clip' - choose the interval you want. There seems to ALWAYS be a cache of up to five minutes waiting in case you choose that option. The last several times I have used Game DVR, I haven't told it to start recording once - I prefer to just let it happen. And yea, for those times you only want the last 30 seconds, you've got "Xbox, Record that", but I've recorded it once and watched the clip right after, only to find that well over 30 seconds had passed for the move I wanted to share - so I snapped Game DVR and chose a full 3 minutes and then I caught what I wanted from before and edited it down.

2nd: When you're done with your game (or when it's paused), just say "Xbox, go to upload" and view your clips. Find one that you like, hit the menu button on it, select edit. From there, you edit to your heart's content. At the end, choose to "Upload and save to SkyDrive" and wait for it to finish - voila... all done via "Upload". Everything is pretty much linked together, so you don't have to individually go into these apps, but you can if you want to. I realize that you've covered all the features, but you stated it as if they all required separate access which doesn't have to be the case.

Oh, and when Game DVR finishes recording, you get the notification that the clip was created. If you hold down the Xbox button at the notification, it will take you directly to that clip, where you can (as previously mentioned) edit and upload without ever manually entering another app - it'll all be done for you.

As for getting a SkyDrive share link, yeah, I completely agree that they need to at least add the ability to share from the console. It seems a bit half-baked, but I believe they'll bring it in time - just like how they fully fleshed out SkyDrive integration in Windows 8.1. Remember though that Microsoft did state at the beginning there will only be the ability to share game clips via Xbox Live... I was actually happily surprised that SkyDrive was even an option. Anyway, they're probably working on sharing to external sources from X1 right now, for whatever big patch they have coming - likely in the Spring if they're sticking to the 360 update schedule (but hopefully sooner).

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

coip, I think you're over-complicating it a bit in your head.

1st: You do not have to previously "start" recording from Game DVR. No previous foresight needed. Go ahead, try it out. In the middle of a game sometime, just say "Xbox, Snap Game DVR" and you'll have the option to 'End Clip' - choose the interval you want. There seems to ALWAYS be a cache of up to five minutes waiting in case you choose that option. The last several times I have used Game DVR, I haven't told it to start recording once - I prefer to just let it happen. And yea, for those times you only want the last 30 seconds, you've got "Xbox, Record that", but I've recorded it once and watched the clip right after, only to find that well over 30 seconds had passed for the move I wanted to share - so I snapped Game DVR and chose a full 3 minutes and then I caught what I wanted from before and edited it down.

2nd: When you're done with your game (or when it's paused), just say "Xbox, go to upload" and view your clips. Find one that you like, hit the menu button on it, select edit. From there, you edit to your heart's content. At the end, choose to "Upload and save to SkyDrive" and wait for it to finish - voila... all done via "Upload". Everything is pretty much linked together, so you don't have to individually go into these apps, but you can if you want to. I realize that you've covered all the features, but you stated it as if they all required separate access which doesn't have to be the case.

Oh, and when Game DVR finishes recording, you get the notification that the clip was created. If you hold down the Xbox button at the notification, it will take you directly to that clip, where you can (as previously mentioned) edit and upload without ever manually entering another app - it'll all be done for you.

As for getting a SkyDrive share link, yeah, I completely agree that they need to at least add the ability to share from the console. It seems a bit half-baked, but I believe they'll bring it in time - just like how they fully fleshed out SkyDrive integration in Windows 8.1. Remember though that Microsoft did state at the beginning there will only be the ability to share game clips via Xbox Live... I was actually happily surprised that SkyDrive was even an option. Anyway, they're probably working on sharing to external sources from X1 right now, for whatever big patch they have coming - likely in the Spring if they're sticking to the 360 update schedule (but hopefully sooner).

Thanks for the info. I will add the info about the ability to just 'end clip' to the original post so as not to confuse new readers. Not having to have the foresight to record a clip in advance does make the process better, but I think we can all agree that this process is not as intuitive as it should be as that is certainly not very clear if one were to just jump in to Game DVR. Despite your helpful clarification, I have a few more questions:

1. The Xbox One is always recording a 5-minute cache of gameplay that you can edit. As you point out, you can simply say "Xbox, snap Game DVR" and then choose to 'end clip' and you'll have a 5-minute clip from which you can then edit down. If this is the case, the only purpose for using the Game DVR app to start a new clip is if you know exactly what you want to record ahead of time. Along those lines, I no longer understand the purpose of "Xbox, record that" to record the previous 30 seconds. Why wouldn't you just choose to 'end clip' instead? Especially since I've used the "Xbox, record that" feature a few times and was disappointed that it cut off parts of the clip I had wanted, meaning I would've been better off using the 'end clip' feature of Game DVR instead. The only time I can think of that saying "Xbox, record that" would be useful is if you're in the heat of battle and it's too cumbersome to say "Xbox, snap Game DVR. End Clip" (say, in the demo trailer for Titanfall where the guy is running around getting shot at). Is this your understanding of this feature's only logical use? Because even then, using the end clip command isn't that much more cumbersom than saying "Xbox, record that", particularly if you know you're going to get a clip that isn't at risk of cutting off the part you were interested in.

2. Yes, it's not that difficult to go to Upload like you say (via voice or the Home button), and then to start editing it and uploading it in Upload Studio, but it's still 4 different apps involved. Even if the transition between is fairly smooth, it's still not as seamless as doing it all within one app. You still have to wait for all the apps to switch over and load up. Plus, if you record a clip you likely still will be playing the game, so switching over immediately isn't usually ideal.

3. I'm glad they have SkyDrive uploading too. It really makes it nice to share the clips outside of Xbox. The problem, as we both agree on, is sharing the clips within Xbox. We should be able to just pull up our Xbox friends' lisst, select multiple names at a time, and then 'share' the clip. Then they should get a notification (like a Message) from within the Xbox One dashboard, and then be taken directly to the clip (and also be able to add comments on it). I believe Microsoft will have all this simplified and streamlined with a later update, though, so I'm not too worried about it (but it would've been nice had it been a little more developed by launch day).

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

1: I see "Xbox, Record that" as being a simple way of recording something quick and short that just happened without having to snap Game DVR to your screen and unsnapping after choosing your record option. That slightly takes you out of your game a bit, you know? So you can easily say the command and keep playing without interruption. If you always pause after making a recording anyway, then no big deal... but "Xbox, Record that" is still great for multiplayer games and places where you can't pause... like if someone has joined my game in Dead Rising 3 and I have no ability to pause anymore. If I'm not in a safe place and snap Game DVR, I'd have to ensure I am saying "Xbox, switch" or doing a quick double tap of the xbox button to ensure I am still playing the game, and switching back when I'm safe and can hit the record end clip button.

See how that works?

2: Kinda see your point - I'm not a fan of seeing that "Welcome to upload studio" screen every time it gets opened, but that seems like a minor software issue that can be solved fairly easily (i.e. If coming from upload with a selected edit, then bypass welcome screen). I disagree with your usage of the word "wait" in reference to the apps switching over and loading up, because it all happens in less than a second. And if they all were in one big app, who's to say there might not be a small wait to process every command anyway? Anyway, yea.. most of the time you're going to record a clip and keep playing, but why should that mean Game DVR and Upload NEED to be merged? You just go into upload when you're done playing and edit directly from there. If it was all in one app, wouldn't Game DVR then want you to edit the clip right after creating it? And what if you have multiple clips in one session? There's no real need to have it all in one... when I snap Game DVR, I always know the only options will be to do with recording - it won't ever be resuming a previously paused editing session or anything like that.

3. Nature of the biz (and it sucks) to not have EVERYTHING ready by launch day. We know they had a lot more planned but couldn't get it all in - even something like external hard drive support and external keyboard support. PS3 launched a year after 360 and took a long time to catch up. Neither company wanted to be last this time, and I suppose they both got intel that the other was announcing this year, so they pushed everything forward and couldn't get it all done on time. Nobody wants to be last to launch. So both stripped away planned features to add in a later update. Another year of developing JUST the OS for Xbox One and they could have had it all polished the way they wanted it (but, you know, there's no way it would be perfect anyway... because things like "Gamertag is online" notifications they purposefully removed because they didn't think people with huge friends lists would want 1000 online notifications, but now they're learning that people still want it in there in some form (of course!))

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

1: I see "Xbox, Record that" as being a simple way of recording something quick and short that just happened without having to snap Game DVR to your screen and unsnapping after choosing your record option. That slightly takes you out of your game a bit, you know? So you can easily say the command and keep playing without interruption. If you always pause after making a recording anyway, then no big deal... but "Xbox, Record that" is still great for multiplayer games and places where you can't pause... like if someone has joined my game in Dead Rising 3 and I have no ability to pause anymore. If I'm not in a safe place and snap Game DVR, I'd have to ensure I am saying "Xbox, switch" or doing a quick double tap of the xbox button to ensure I am still playing the game, and switching back when I'm safe and can hit the record end clip button.

See how that works?

Yeah, that makes more sense, though I would really like it much better if they switched it from 'it records the last 30 seconds' to this: 'it records the previous 45 seconds and the following 15 seconds' (or say, the previous 30 seconds and the following 30 seconds). That would ensure that you definitely get all of the clip that you wanted to get. There's been a few times where the start and end of the clip has cut off part of what I wanted. 30 seconds is pretty short.

2: Kinda see your point - I'm not a fan of seeing that "Welcome to upload studio" screen every time it gets opened, but that seems like a minor software issue that can be solved fairly easily (i.e. If coming from upload with a selected edit, then bypass welcome screen). I disagree with your usage of the word "wait" in reference to the apps switching over and loading up, because it all happens in less than a second. And if they all were in one big app, who's to say there might not be a small wait to process every command anyway? Anyway, yea.. most of the time you're going to record a clip and keep playing, but why should that mean Game DVR and Upload NEED to be merged? You just go into upload when you're done playing and edit directly from there. If it was all in one app, wouldn't Game DVR then want you to edit the clip right after creating it? And what if you have multiple clips in one session? There's no real need to have it all in one... when I snap Game DVR, I always know the only options will be to do with recording - it won't ever be resuming a previously paused editing session or anything like that.

I more clearly see the benefit of Game DVR now being separate: it's basically just supposed to be an app that you snap to record clips. I'd like to see the voice commands expanded, though, so the Game DVR is even less intrusive. I would like to see 3 voice options:
1. Xbox, start recording (this would be the equivalent of snapping Game DVR and starting a new clip)
2. Xbox, stop recording (this would be the equivalent of snapping Game DVR and ending a clip)
3. Xbox, record that (this would be how it is now but with the longer 1-minute record time I discuss above)

So, sure, Game DVR can stay separate, but I'd still like to see Upload Studio completely merged into Upload as a tab in there rather than a separate app. It has a different interface and a different load up screen that is jarring right now when I switch over to it (and maybe your Xbox is faster than mine but the loading time for switching is definitely longer for me than it is for you. I wonder if it is somehow dependent on Internet connection? I hope not).

On a final note, why not allow us to edit that 5-minute cache of automatically recorded game footage without having to use Game DVR to start or end the clip? Why make us explicitly have to snap the Game DVR and hit 'end clip' (or say 'Xbox, record that'). Why not just let us go to Upload, be able to pull up the 5-minute cache, and make a new clip from there? I'm not saying to take away the Game DVR or its options to start or end clips. I'm saying, why not give us the extra option of editing the footage even if we didn't explicitly tell Game DVR to record it?

I would also like to see the ability to bookmark or save other people's clips for viewing later. There have been some cool clips I've seen while browsing around (like some dude nailing an 88-hit combo in KI) that I would've loved to bookmark and then share with my friends ("Hey, check this crazy combo out!").

Last edited:

bond321

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

If you go to your friends list on Xbox one and click on your freind there is a tab with recent videos they uploaded. You could tell your friends by message that you just uploaded a clip they should check out but its kind of a work around for what you were saying with messaging the clip directly to your friends.

flexiler

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Sky Drive... I have uploaded using skydrive countless of times. For some reason it has decided too not give me the option of uploading to skydrive anymore. I have turned my xbox on and off, checked if i have enough memory on the skydrive which i have loads (6.5GB) looked all over xbox/support site and they're useless so I'm hoping someone will have the answer to why it's being stupid :)

tendoboy1984

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I have an Xbox One and I don't like how you can't search for uploaded clips by game title. I know you can in the Xbox Store, but that's a completely separate app from Upload Studio.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's as fast as my broadband provider offers, which ain't good. If I hook it up to my Verizon 4G MiFi it's fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire