More Xbox one frame rate fail over the PS4....Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I know to most people the difference between 30fps and 60fps wont even be noticed. This just brings up the problem, if new games are having this issue (and it's been notied on a few games and most games are only running at 30fps) on new games, does this mean it's going to be a perm trend for the Xbox one ?

What is going to happen a year or 2 down the line as games get much better in graphics, as the system is having a problem showing 60fps, does that mean it could run into problems even running into games that are at 30fps ?

This is on the revamp of Tomb Raider on the PS4 will be 60fps and the Xbox one 30fps.

Report: Tomb Raider Has Lower Framerate On Xbox One Than PS4 - GameSided - A Video Game news, rumors, and gamer/gaming site

The revamp of Tomb Raider on the PS4 will be 60fps and the Xbox one 30fps. Yea, yea, yea, but, I personally dont like this trend, esp on new games for the system....Would love to see what MS has to say about this. Maybe Mutli-tasking on a Console is not the best thing....

From the page:

Just when we were out of the woods on the whole “which console outperforms which other console” fascination, information has been leaked that suggests a 3rd party release runs at a lower frame rate on one of the consoles. That’s right, according to verified sources to Rocket Chainsaw (including the author of the piece after playing the game), the upcoming Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will optimally run at 60 frames per second on the PS4, while the Xbox One version will look to run at roughly 30 frames per second.

If this revelation seems a bit confusing, it should be. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was marketed at 1080p resolution and 30 FPS for both Microsoft and Sony’s newest consoles. However, Executive Producer Scott Amos reaffirmed on a live Twitch stream that the PS4 version of the game is running at 60 FPS and alluded that their original goal was to get the game out at 1080p and 30 FPS as a minimum, with anything else more as a bonus.

With these allegations coming out less than a week before release, I am more inclined to believe this report. It will be fairly easy for the gaming populace to discover the technical aspects and limitations of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on both the PS4 and the Xbox One when the game becomes available to the public. Neither console’s version seem to have a locked framerate, which may be a bit troubling only if it is fairly inconsistent.

So, until we can see the differences side-by-side a la Digital Foundry-esque technical review, we have to view this as a well-observed rumor. Were this to be true, expect to hear more about the computational capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox One in the future as the flurry of February and March releases come flying through

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
This is all weird. Forza plays 1080p 60fps, Battlefield plays 900p 60fps. I think its little harder to develop for X1 compare to PS4. And developer tools are still not finalize for Xbox One. That could be the issue? Architecture is way more complex on X1.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I look at it the opposite way - the tools will get better and the games will get better too in their performance. It won't get 'worse' in my book.

Besides - most of the 'issues' with games running subpar on the XBOX One compared to the PS4 are with games that are ported from previous generations. Yet, the games built for next-gen systems run much closer to one another it seems.

We'll see though. Sure it stinks, but I'm not going to make a big deal about it.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
This is all weird. Forza plays 1080p 60fps, Battlefield plays 900p 60fps. I think its little harder to develop for X1 compare to PS4. And developer tools are still not finalize for Xbox One. That could be the issue? Architecture is way more complex on X1.

It's because of the Kinect, Microsoft put in place that it takes up some of the resources from the Xbox, even if it isn't connected. A later update will probably "fix" this issue and make games for it better. Until then, they have to figure out how to fix it and push a patch out. There may be other issues, but I'm betting this is the biggest one. We'll see how everything goes.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
The original XBOX spanked the PS2 in performance and we all know how that turned out... I'll take the XB1 multitasking features over pure game console performance any day. I love Dead rising 3 and the frame rate on that is supposedly terrible as well.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's probably a sum of things. It's not really deniable that PS4 has more power than the Xbox One. Also the PS4s memory makes it more straightforward to develop for. Memorywise I dont think X1 is much behind if the ESRAM is utilized well. Then there's Kinect and the multitask'ish OS most likely taking more resources than the PS4 OS (that said, I wouldn't trade away either Kinect or the OS for more power, I wouldve got a PS4 if I wanted that). I'm not really worried though. Obviously it's a bit meh that PS4 gets 60 fps and X1 gets 30 FPS, but it doesnt really make or break the purchase for me, not in a game like that (3rd person game, like in Ryse I don't notice it, in FPS games its easier to notice I feel), but I'm sure it'll get better over time.

As for the general doom and gloom, 360 was noticeably less powerful than the PS3, but it's not like it would've make or break anything.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I've learned so far about X1/PS4 games:
- PS4 does the best job with games ported from the X360/PS3 generation (not why I bought a next-gen system)
- X1 does the best job with games designed for the new generation (Ryse, Forza, DR3, Titanfall much better than Knack, Killzone, Infamous)
- graphics are a function of a number of variables, not just resolution and frame rate -- Ryse at 900p blows away anything that PS4 has running at 1080p
- the tricks and compromises that are made to achieve 1080p/60fps on PS4 many times are not worth the tradeoff -- fog, less environmental detail, etc.
- the media integration provided by X1 makes it the most heavily used and value-added console I've ever purchased

I could care less about a ported last gen title (well, other than Rayman). Let's see what E3 brings before rushing to judgement about the power of X1.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I just dont like to see this, seeing new games come out and they are limited to 30fps.... I paid $500+ for my xbox one and I would expect it to perform as good with the same games coming out for the PS4. This is a big dispointment to me to keep seeing reports like this. I will get a PS4 at some point but waiting for that MUST have title for it (Uncharted 4 is right now my MUST have).

If they offered a upgrade to Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition ($10 upgrade like they did with other 360 games) I might get it but, as I already have finished it on the Xbox 360, I wont buy it...

At least we can all agree that the XBOX One is incredibly more powerful than the WiiU ;)

Sure, it's more powerful than a WiiU but, I would expect it to be. The Wii U came out during the Xbox 360 and Ps3 days to compete with those systems. Then the flagship WiiI is $300 and the Xbox one Base model is $500, so I would expect more out of it.

I have a WiiU that I picked up for ONLY Super Mario 3D land (epic game, no question)....but, still wondering what else I am going to play on it...

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
- the tricks and compromises that are made to achieve 1080p/60fps on PS4 many times are not worth the tradeoff -- fog, less environmental detail, etc.

That's something I've noticed as well. People are whining about lack of resolution/framerate/whatever, but they're whining about it in games that are still using stand-up textures for foliage. As far as I'm concerned, Ryse is the ONLY game so far with what I would consider "next gen" graphics.

Either way, Tomb Raider will still look (and animate) great, especially since they seem to imply that 30 is a minimum, not a maximum. I'll be buying it because I'm a fan of the franchise, but I'm under no illusions that this is anything other than a last-gen port.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
you hit nail on the head. no need to say, that xbox is upscalling to 1080p, so better wioth 900p upscalled to 1080p with all the greatest details and depth, than foggy direct 1080p coming from Waitstation4.

we are still at the very begining of next gen lifecycle and I am 100% sure Xbox One will show the pontential on exclusives games in next months/years, once eSram is utilized by developpers. Can't wait for Halo5. I bet it will be new milestone for Xbox One.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't played tomb raider you need to. It was one of my favorite games of 2013. So awesome.

Yea, no question, it was a great game and worth the wait....Not sure about Game of the year(too many great games duing 2013 to go head to head with) but, still an awesome game. If you have not played it, you should def grab the game, at least on the 360 but, if you got the xbox one it would be a worthy game to own.

With that being said, Are you going to pay $60 for the same game that looks a little bit better ? I might jump if there was a upgrade like $10-20 out of pocket but, at $60, I'll pass...even though I am tempted, it was something that I would play through again but, not for $60...

For me its all a step up. My laptop maxed out at21 FPS in Halo 2

Time for a new laptop ? (Halo 2 was for vista, old game in todays standards)

If you really expect the Xbox One to be stronger than the PS4 well you just weren't paying attention.

Really ? Did you just come from the PS4 area just to say that ? I would call you a troll but, the mods might give me a warning for it, so I wont.

Please read so you understand WHY I could call you one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think he has a point though, obviously a lot depends on how fe. X1s memory is utilized (with the ESRAM and all that) but even then it would probably be barely pretty close in best case scenario (excluding potential cloud computing in future). I mean the spec comparison makes it pretty obvious that PS4 would be, at least marginally, more powerful, is this really even subjective in any way?

That doesn't make the X1 a bad device though, for me the Kinect and everything that comes with it is well worth the tradeoff in resources. Last gen also showed that less power doesn't mean a failure. Wii sold the most with PS3 and 360 tied, despite 360 being at least as "less powered" compared to PS3 as the X1 is to the PS4 now.

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
You have a source for that? I've never heard this.

I think its more of a common sense. Including Kinect did made the hardware little weaker and they are investing more on the Xbox Live infrastructure because that's where we are headed. Doesn't matter how powerful box you build today, it will be outdated tomorrow. Hopefully in few years down we will be able to render real time games through internet. And transistors inside the box will not matter. That's what 300 thousand servers are for.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You have a source for that? I've never heard this.

I don't have a source for this either, but it's quite "common" knowledge. MS did also say that in future updates they are trying to "reduce the footprint of Kinect when it comes to available resources", but some figures that have been thrown around was 10% of the X1's power sorta being reserved for multitasking and Kinect. But that's not for Kinect alone, as it includes the multitasking, but obviously Kinect takes some part of that. Then again, I believe Kinect has some computing capability by itself, so I dunno..

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If you really expect the Xbox One to be stronger than the PS4 well you just weren't paying attention.

The Xbox One has a lot of unused power, but it also has a lot of expectations the PS4 does not. Not only does it have to juggle your games, TV, other programs, etc, but Microsoft's always attracted the anger of a rather alinsky-ish crowd.

The other thing is, I hate to say it, but I don't think Microsoft particularly cares about an extra frame or two.

Look, for example, at Nintendo. The US branch of that company is practically neighbors with Microsoft. You have to imagine them all at the bar at the end of the day talking out their workdays and stuff. Does Nintendo care whether or not they have the OMGBESTEST somethingorother piece of hardware? No. They just make a stable product and great games. And you know what happens? No matter how much doom and gloom the fanbois predict, they always come out making MONEY.

Did two generations of having the more powerful hardware help Microsoft? No. Just like it didn't help Nintendo during the Gamecube days. They've changed their direction, they're trying something new, and I think they'll actually get something good out of it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It doesn't matter what people buy as long as they buy YOUR product. And it seems that emphasis has hit Microsoft. Sony, as I've said a million times, still thinks this is just a race to cram the most hardware in a box. Microsoft, on the other hand, is thinking ahead. And you know what? No matter what they naysayers are saying, people are buying the system. Sure, the PS4 can play Tomb raider at a few more FPS. Can it do it on the same TV while you've got Cartoon Network on for the kids? I tell you what, the WiiU can at least pull that off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99