How to calibrate the audio volume level of TV, movies, and games on Xbox One

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering if I can adjust or calibrate the audio volume level for various apps on Xbox One. Right now, everything runs way too loudly. I usually find myself with the TV volume set at 1-5 for games (out of 100!), and sometimes I find even 1 to be too loud (of course, if I push volume down, it goes to 0 and is muted). For TV, I usually find the comfortable viewing level to be around 8-12 (again, out of 100). And for watching DVD or BluRay movies, the comfortable viewing level is about 20-30 (again, out of 100).

Why is it that all of these various apps have different volume levels? It's kind of annoying having to constantly readjust the volume when I change apps. Even more annoying, though, is how loud it is overall (but particularly when playing games or game trailers) even at the lowest possible volume level (1 out of 100). I don't know if things are messed up because the TV, the Xbox One, and the cable box have separate audio controls or something, but I can't seem to find any setting option to calibrate the different volume levels so that they are closer to each other, but also better grounded in reality (i.e., never ever should the volume be set to 1 out of 100 and still be considered loud, which is often the case). Any ideas?

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest to buy some audio receiver and plug everything to it. be sure, it has HDMi inputs/outputs and you will be safe. On my side, I can see minor difference of volume levels between certain apps/games, but it's not a real problem. I have everything connected via Marantz receiver and it works pefrectly fine. It is supposed to be 5.1, but as I don't like cables accross my room I don't have the rear speakers connected and running just sort of 2.1 setup :)
still huge difference when compared to rubbish TV speakers.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem, my TV volume is typically at 3-5 (out of 100) when playing the Xbox. For Netflix and watching TV I need to have it at 10-15. I wish there were some better sound controls, but at this time there aint.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Weird, I don't have that issue at all. For everything my audio volume level on my TV is set to 15 or lower when I'm playing at night and usually set to 25-27 during the day for movies...

Have y'all tried changing HDMI cables or HDMI inputs?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
man my hearing must be terrible i usually run my TV like 35-45 if going through my audio receiver 25-35. All them damn concerts are killing my ears :p

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Weird, I don't have that issue at all. For everything my audio volume level on my TV is set to 15 or lower when I'm playing at night and usually set to 25-27 during the day for movies...

Have y'all tried changing HDMI cables or HDMI inputs?

I havn't tried switching cables, but I don't consider it a huge problem anyways. It's a bit annoying when I watch TV through the passthrough, as my reciever is already at max volume so it only leaves me with putting the TV itself at higher volume. Sadly Netflix doesnt seem to have volume controls on the Xbox either, for some games I've manually made em quieter individually, but I would prefer to just turn like "master volume" on the Xbox One down as a whole so I could have the TV louder by default.

That said, I don't think it's about cables, as Netflix is really just another app like most games, but they have very different volume levels by default. I could understand if it was just the TV signal that was at different volume level, but it's Netflix too.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I contacted Xbox support and we tried the following solutions, none of which worked.
1. power cycle the console
2. re-set up the TV in Settings
3. different HDMI cable
4. remove the cable box from the setup
5. different HDMI port
6. recalibrate TV display
7. change display from "HDMI (auto-detect)" to "HDMI", followed by power cycling the console again
8. try a different TV --> I don't have another TV so I can't try this. Can any of you that are having this problem try it out on a different TV?
9. restore console to defaults --> I haven't done this yet as it would involve re-downloading all my apps and games. They want me to do this because under HDMI audio settings I can only select "stereo uncompressed" and if I choose any other option I get an error message saying "Check your audio receiver. There was a problem using this setting". I don't believe I have an audio receiver, but Xbox support said I should still be able to select other options.

It seems to me that the Xbox needs some type of global audio app that controls everything and gets it all in tune.

Last edited:

Matthew Bonness1

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue on my Xbox One, the volume of the TV app was too loud at the lowest volume level (1). Was able to resolve it by turning on sound leveling via the TV audio settings menu, now the TV is whisper quiet at volume 1 as it should be.