The Official Titanfall Thread

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
New strategy I see to get guys off your titan's back... Fire a cluster missile at a wall, run up to that wall, and destroy that little gnat...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
New strategy I see to get guys off your titan's back... Fire a cluster missile at a wall, run up to that wall, and destroy that little gnat...

I use Cluster Missile almost always, but I also use the Stryder and while it's often the safer tactic, it still damages you quite heavily. Cluster Missile is a weird thing in the sense that it deals damage to you as well but not to other friendlies though, much like fe. grenades and satchels.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The hit detection's really iffy. There have been several instances where I get around a corner and die from shots on the other side of it. It's not like a small lag type of thing either, it's getting 20 feet down and dying after the fact. Given that no other game I've played has given me connection-based fits in the past, I can't really blame it on my Internet. The whole concept they touted about balanced matchmaking is terrible, because it's nothing close to that. Winning Attrition games by 100+ points or losing Pilot Hunter ones by 20+ have been fairly commonplace. The Jump Kick hit detection is about as-dependable as Call of Duty's knifing ones. That might be a bit harsh, it's not THAT bad, but there are too many times I'm on the giving and receiving end of awkwardly-placed kicks.

Then, there was this one time, and it still bothers me...

I was on the ground, some guy was on a roof. I was looking straight at him and was about to turn behind a wall before he could shoot me. I noticed he was looking maybe 45 degrees away from me, and he started shooting. I figured he was shooting elsewhere, so I'd try to kill him before he noticed me. Instead, in the second I made that decision, the bullets shooting from his gun--again, 45 degrees or so away from me--killed me. Apparently, he HAD been looking at me and shooting me, even though what I saw on my screen was bullets going off in a totally-different direction. Given that this game came from the same people who made MW2, I can't say I'm surprised. In that game, I was once standing on a roof, someone threw a knife into the face of the building, maybe 5 feet below me. Of course, through some force of magic, that knife killed me. It was the same feeling of helpless confusion.

I like the game, it just needs SO much polish. The biggest gripe I probably have it how bad the campaign was. They need to either make a single-player experience or stop trying to have a story, because that story wasn't worth following.
Happens in all shooter. Most of your complaints are through lag, then again some is also from being a basic twitch shooter. Shot behind wall = LAG. Remember this is running off dedicated server so even if I have on 23ms ping from my sever I can still experience lag server side. The campaign Ai thought was decent for a shooter if it had a dedicated campaign, but ill sacrifice a campaign for the general good of online gameplay.

Overall opinions are just that. To me the game is balanced. Then again I've always excelled at shooters, and the majority of the time in on the team winning by double your points.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem isn't that I'm bad. I think my winning percentage is about 60%, and I do just fine most matches. However, when you decide to make an online-only game, your game should be superior online to the competition. Like I said, even the peer-to-peer setups on the 360 didn't suffer from these problems as-frequently as Titanfall does. On Black Ops II and Halo 4, it was readily-apparent when the host was bad, as the game would get choppy and slow down on several occasions. With Titanfall, that's not the case. You just have the random instance where you're 2 seconds beyond the shooting range of the opponent, then you die. Again, when you want to go online-only, at least do the online AS WELL AS the competition.

The actual weapon balance of the game, and the overall stuff, that's fine. The problem is solely with the inconsistent connection quality, which we were told was supposed to be fixed through dedicated servers.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
While I am A LOT worse at FPS's then i used to be in my younger days, due to i play a lot more RTS and MOBA games these days. My win loss is close to 50% and is climbing as i play more. Latency is an issue that will not be fixed anytime soon. Even if you play on a closed LAN you will have these issues. Where people are looking on your screen is not necessarily where they are actually looking on theirs. Until we can get fiber to the curb for everyone these issues will exists. Titanfall doesnt have issues with games stopping to change host, long periods of lag, host forcing, whole game d/c's, etc.

You have to realize how many servers your information is going through up and down, before it even hits the azure servers. The same thing for the other 11 people in your game. Hell you can take 2 people in the same room over live and have one spin a 360 circle and the other person watch him, on one screen it will be at least a few MS in front of the other.

see you on the battlefield.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Except Titanfall's latency is MUCH higher than other games I play with dedicated servers (read: on PC). At best, I've seen the nearest server hit 23 ms of latency, and I've seen it over 100. I've been on CS:GO and seen it at 7 ms, when we were on a Chicago server (about 3 hours from me). Titanfall doesn't have the lag-out/super-choppy latency issues of CoD, but I almost prefer CoD's act of kicking me out so I can find a better game) to Titanfall's method, which is usually fine, but gets REALLY bad (and hard to notice, except in specific instances) at other times.

But like I said, the core of the game is fine. I'm wondering if they just need to make their netcode more efficient, or somehow improve how their games talk to Microsoft's servers. Considering it's the first Respawn title, it's more-polished than their last game (MW2).

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That is weird im 3 hrs from Chicago as well, and i see about 13 usually the highest being like 32. I dont play shooters on the PC, but im usually about the same on any RTS or MOBA i play on there. In my experience titanfall latency issues have been better then any shooter ive ever played sure there is the occasional pop every now and then. I really want to take my xbone to work where we have a 1GB fiber connection. I usually get around 7 on League of Legends there, i would like to see a 5 for titanfall.

I do have to ask how can something be REALLY BAD but yet hard to notice?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Because with Titanfall you don't get the stuttering like CoD gets. The only way to tell when your connection gets terrible on Titanfall is when you get in those instances where you die while around a corner.

I couldn't ever get into MOBAs. I tried LoL and DotA 2, but the camera angle and click moving irritated me to no end.

Out of curiosity, which direction from Chicago are you? I'm in central IL.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Because with Titanfall you don't get the stuttering like CoD gets. The only way to tell when your connection gets terrible on Titanfall is when you get in those instances where you die while around a corner.

I couldn't ever get into MOBAs. I tried LoL and DotA 2, but the camera angle and click moving irritated me to no end.

Out of curiosity, which direction from Chicago are you? I'm in central IL.

I have defiantly seen the occasional character pop around a corner, or just across the screen. Same as little lag spikes in any other game, i wouldn't say titanfall is less noticeable, but does happen far less.

I cant get enough of the MOBA's I <3 RTS's and to me they take a lot more focus and planning then Shooters. Shooters are 90% reaction and 10% planning where MOBAS are more like 60% reaction and 40% planing. That's a whole different topic tho.

I'm in Western Central IL. We do have pretty good internet here. We have a lot of data centers in the area, as well as an Arsenal, and we are right on Interstate 80 which has probably has more fiber running along it than any other roadway in the world lol.

Are you in the Peoria area? My friend lives there and is always complaining about these types of issues.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm in Springfield, Peoria's maybe 45 minutes away (don't know exactly, I never go there).

The amount of planning in a shooter's really dependent on how you play. I've learned that I don't play a reaction-based style, because the second I try to start the close-quarters stuff, I go to crap (my scores are getting bad on Titanfall with the shotgun, but I was good with the carbine). I've never felt like I did well because I react better than others in FPS games, I'm just smart about it.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the IL/IA border (quad cities, Mississippi river valley). Peoria/bloomington i guess would be the middle point between us. I'm assuming there is a good amount of fiber going through your area as well since you are on I55 between STL and CHI.

I was referring that they require more strategy to win. In LoL there are around 120 different champions, all with different skills and passive abilities. that fall loosely in around 9 classes (bruiser, marksman, assassin, mage, support, etc) 5 "roles" (top, mid, jungle, support, marksman again loosely)they can fall into. There are so many variables that strategy is everything. There are some champs that can carry a game, but if you are smart you can counter anyone pretty easily. Where as shooters do require some planning, its not going to help you win as much as it will in a MOBA. Which is why these types of games have such a steep learning curve. You can have 1000 games played and still not be good, some people dont understand even the most simple game mechanics like warding.

I too am a slower player when it comes to FPS's now more then ever. Tho i can get on a run and gun streak, and to me thats when Shooters are the most fun. Nothing like running through a building with any weapon spinning around and taking out everyone.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll try to pay more attention to my pings as well. I'm in NE Iowa, which is more awesome then your part of Iowa. :smile:

I've never noticed anything TOO crazy, but this is really my first online shooter I've played this much since Halo 3. I'm also getting older and not as good at the FPS as I once was.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the IL/IA border (quad cities, Mississippi river valley). Peoria/bloomington i guess would be the middle point between us. I'm assuming there is a good amount of fiber going through your area as well since you are on I55 between STL and CHI.

I actually don't know about fiber in the area. Last time I looked (maybe 1-2 years ago), you couldn't get anything better than 3-Mbps U-Verse, and we never got FiOS, so I don't think fiber has caught on here at all. Maybe it's around on a corporate level, but IDK.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'll try to pay more attention to my pings as well. I'm in NE Iowa, which is more awesome then your part of Iowa. :smile:

I've never noticed anything TOO crazy, but this is really my first online shooter I've played this much since Halo 3. I'm also getting older and not as good at the FPS as I once was.

NE Iowa huh?

I was just in the Dubuque area a few weeks ago. I work for a TV station that covers Eastern Iowa/Western IL you might get our programming :p

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Was same for me, around lvl 30 for Gen 2. It sorta depends, some challenges are just sorta harder to come by. Shotgun and 40mm are some of the best weapons in game and if you use them from pretty much first level since you can, it won't take all that long. I currently need to max Spitfire LMG and Triple Threat, neither of which unlock before lvl 36 or something. Along with the exp boost from the gen, I'm gonna be stuck at 50 for a while as I grind through those challenges, mostly cos they get unlocked so late too.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought, I'll probably consider using the LMG later in this gen, then gave up Amped LMG cards to that one (should help me get a few kills before I unlock it properly). However, I'm not a fan of the shotgun. I'm not a close-quarters person in any FPS, so I had my issues with hating having to play that way for a while, haha.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought, I'll probably consider using the LMG later in this gen, then gave up Amped LMG cards to that one (should help me get a few kills before I unlock it properly). However, I'm not a fan of the shotgun. I'm not a close-quarters person in any FPS, so I had my issues with hating having to play that way for a while, haha.

Yea I didnt really enjoy it either, but it's very powerful if you manage to get close up.

I like the LMG, typically if I've already maxed the pilot weapon challenge requirements, I'll just often use the LMG for the fun of it. Carbine is still better in almost every aspect, but still :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro