I COULD Get an Xbox One, but I Have Some Concerns.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My dad said that if I wanted a One as a graduation gift (his suggestion, not mine), I could get it. However, it's something that I still have a lot of concerns about. Rather than listen to likely-uninformed journalists make silly statements, I figured I'd ask the community here for input. The things that I'd like some information on:

1. How's the OS right now? I keep hearing complaints about things that are missing, like a battery monitor, storage information, a recent players list, and generally-unfriendly UI setup. It sounded like the Kinect is almost a must for navigation, and I want no part of doing that (I like controller-based navigation).

2. Where's party chat at now? I'd heard that it was something of a mess, but I don't know what it's like right now.

3. What is there to play? The biggest concern I have (after not getting a Halo 5 edition console) is a general lack of games. All that I would maybe play as of now is Kinect Sports: Rivals. Ghosts is terrible (tried it on PC during a free weekend on Steam). PvZ: GW, BF4, NFS: Rivals, Titanfall, Madden, and NBA LIVE are all EA, meaning I won't give them my money. Turn 10 butchered Forza 5, between the content and graphics cutting, so I won't buy from them. I'm not really into zombies, so I probably wouldn't bother with Dead Rising 3 and while the visuals of Ryse are awesome, most have said that the gameplay is really bland. I mean, if I got a One, I'd MAYBE get the Titanfall bundle, since it's such a good deal, but $500 on a console for one game is nearly-impossible to justify. What else is out, and is any of it good? What's on the horizon?

4. What's the headset market like? I really like the Turtle Beach headset I use now on the PC and 360, but apparently the turds at Microsoft don't enjoy backwards-compatibility. I'm not spending $30-40 on that dumb adapter, so I'd be looking into a new headset. Is there one that works on the PC and the One, preferably simultaneously (I like to play music from my PC to my headset while playing Halo 4 online)?

5. How's pass-through work? I know this is a likely "no" response, but is there a way to have it run ONLY audio? Like I said, I like listening to music form my PC while I play, so if I could, I'd like to use the pass-through to have music in the background, without having the screen split between the console and the PC desktop. Also, how bad is the input lag on that now? Is it even remotely feasible to use a PC through the pass-through port?

So like I said, I'm really hesitant on getting a console. I keeping wanting to ask for it, but then I remember all of the complaints I hear. However, I want to know that the complaints are justified. Any input's appreciated.

Last edited:

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: I COULD Get a One, but I Have Some Concerns.

1. Battery monitor is here, better storage information is here, recent players are also here.
2. Party Chat has got its needed improvements which they are soon adding onto.
4. They just released this Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter - Xbox.com to make your old headsets work with the new console.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Tell your dad that you want to build a bad *** gaming PC that'll be better than any console out there..

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Tell your dad that you want to build a bad *** gaming PC that'll be better than any console out there..
a bad *** PC is nice but can you get one for under 500$ with a game? Can you get online and play with all your Xbox live friends? Is the PC gonna be plug n play? And my long time question for PC gammers is will the PC gammer with a 10,000$ PC have a better time online than the gammer working with WalMart PC worth 300$?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Well, I guess an Xbox One or whatever console is a good choice for some... and yeah, I don't have any Xbox live friends (except for those I play with on Win8 RT and WP8) I have Steam and Origin friends :)
$10,000? I could build a good one for less than 2k...

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

a bad *** PC is nice but can you get one for under 500$ with a game? Can you get online and play with all your Xbox live friends? Is the PC gonna be plug n play? And my long time question for PC gammers is will the PC gammer with a 10,000$ PC have a better time online than the gammer working with WalMart PC worth 300$?

gammers? Really now..

Anyway you can get a decent gaming PC for under 800euro/1000USD.

Plug and play? After installing it, you're done

You can't play with your Xbox live friends but you can play with your steam/origin/skype/whatever friends.

Also you can record game play better, have even more eye candy.
And use it after you stopped playings games for studies, browsing, watching movies (for free, wink wink).

And it will last you longer, granting the fact that some games won't be running at ultra with 120 fps when released in about 4 years.
But even then, you can upgrade individual parts of your PC for a cheaper price then buying an XBOXTWO

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

Not to mention that you can get games alot cheaper and no monthly fee for playing online

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

1. Battery monitor is here, better storage information is here, recent players are also here.
2. Party Chat has got its needed improvements which they are soon adding onto.
4. They just released this Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter - Xbox.com to make your old headsets work with the new console.

1. Good.
2. Also good.
4. As I said in the first post, I'm not throwing $40 at that moronic scam, considering they're already screwing people with the $60 controllers ($65 for the Titanfall one) and the $25 Play & Charge.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

CPU: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX
GPU: ASUS DirectCU HD 5850
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866
PSU: Corsair HX 750 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB 32 MB Cache
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower

My dad's already got a pair of 290X cards for litecoin mining, and he said I could have one once he finishes with that (probably near the fall). All I could use on the PC front is a better fan and a bigger HDD or a SSD, but I don't need any of that yet, since I'm not concerned with overclocking the i5 or playing too many games on the PC right now.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Anyway, all this stuff aside, please stop making this a PC-console debate. I have and enjoy both, didn't post this for that tired argument.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Got it, it was junk. Software support was minimal, the music player crashed frequently, it ran hot, and it was an all-around mediocre device that didn't get better because of a lack of updates from HTC (though I realize now that Android manufacturers just suck at updating stuff).

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My take.

1) The OS sucks right now. Slow navigation, lots of unnecessary clicks and menus, and things just dont work all the time. But I am not concerned. After seeing how 360 dashboard has improved over the years, and already seeing the improvements they've already made to the One's OS, I'm excited!

2) party chat is much better, I'm going to throw it in with OS though where it does need to optimization to make it more friendly to use. Again, not worried, this will become awesome.

3) games? Titanfall is the greatest game that has ever been created! Battlefield is buggy as hell but still phone. Forza is incredible I have no idea what you have heard about the graphics and whatnot but that is my favorite game to play! Other than that, the Kinect games are a lot of fun. Still waiting for more notable games to come out.

4) yeah I just use the included headset and send everything else through my speakers, so not sure what to tell you..

5) pass through is fairly quick, can definitely use your PC through it, I definitely wouldn't game though (some games maybe). Audio will only be heard through the pass through right now if it is snapped or full screened.

Titanicology

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Got it, it was junk. Software support was minimal, the music player crashed frequently, it ran hot, and it was an all-around mediocre device that didn't get better because of a lack of updates from HTC (though I realize now that Android manufacturers just suck at updating stuff).

Except for GPE devices. :)

Btw, sorry for messing your thread up with off topic stuff.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My take.

1) The OS sucks right now. Slow navigation, lots of unnecessary clicks and menus, and things just dont work all the time. But I am not concerned. After seeing how 360 dashboard has improved over the years, and already seeing the improvements they've already made to the One's OS, I'm excited!

2) party chat is much better, I'm going to throw it in with OS though where it does need to optimization to make it more friendly to use. Again, not worried, this will become awesome.

3) games? Titanfall is the greatest game that has ever been created! Battlefield is buggy as hell but still phone. Forza is incredible I have no idea what you have heard about the graphics and whatnot but that is my favorite game to play! Other than that, the Kinect games are a lot of fun. Still waiting for more notable games to come out.

4) yeah I just use the included headset and send everything else through my speakers, so not sure what to tell you..

5) pass through is fairly quick, can definitely use your PC through it, I definitely wouldn't game though (some games maybe). Audio will only be heard through the pass through right now if it is snapped or full screened.

1. I think the difference for me is that the 360 wasn't bad at the start. The OS navigation certainly got better, but I didn't mind it when it came out. The things I hear about the One's OS are that it's legitimately bad and needs fixed.

3. I'd definitely say you're exaggerating on Titanfall. Battlefield isn't something I'd find fun, given that I didn't care for the beta and I hate vehicle-based combat in Halo 4 (plus it's EA, so I wouldn't get it regardless). Forza, it's not a matter of hearing. It's SEEING them change the crowds from 3-D to 2-D and seeing in-game fottage where the graphics are drastically different from E3 to release. Which Kinect games are out now? I know that Rivals is coming (I want it solely because David Tennant is the announcer), but other than that, I don't know of anything that uses it right now, except Zoo Tycoon.

4. See, I like using my Turtle Beach because I love listening to music while playing. I use it for talking to people on PC as well, so what I do is leave it plugged into my PC, then just plug the 360 part in when I play on Xbox. I can use the secondary volume on te headset to get music from my PC while playing, and I like that. I want to be able to do that on the One.

5. That blows. Is it the same for using radio apps on the console?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
1. I think the difference for me is that the 360 wasn't bad at the start. The OS navigation certainly got better, but I didn't mind it when it came out. The things I hear about the One's OS are that it's legitimately bad and needs fixed.

3. I'd definitely say you're exaggerating on Titanfall. Battlefield isn't something I'd find fun, given that I didn't care for the beta and I hate vehicle-based combat in Halo 4 (plus it's EA, so I wouldn't get it regardless). Forza, it's not a matter of hearing. It's SEEING them change the crowds from 3-D to 2-D and seeing in-game fottage where the graphics are drastically different from E3 to release. Which Kinect games are out now? I know that Rivals is coming (I want it solely because David Tennant is the announcer), but other than that, I don't know of anything that uses it right now, except Zoo Tycoon.

4. See, I like using my Turtle Beach because I love listening to music while playing. I use it for talking to people on PC as well, so what I do is leave it plugged into my PC, then just plug the 360 part in when I play on Xbox. I can use the secondary volume on te headset to get music from my PC while playing, and I like that. I want to be able to do that on the One.

5. That blows. Is it the same for using radio apps on the console?

1) agreed

3) while titanfall was definitely hyped beyond belief, I still feel that it is without a doubt the best shooter that has ever been released. And with Forza, I actually really haven't noticed any of that simply because the physics in 5 is much much smoother and realistic. At first I didn't notice it, but as I started really training and practicing the different tracks, I could focus in much better and could feel the track much easier than I could with 4. It made learning a hell of a lot more fun for me! Haven't yet paid any attention to the backgrounds and crowds and such. The Kinect games I haven't owned any or know what their names are, but my visits to the Microsoft store have been a lot of fun playing with whatever games they had out. Very smooth compared to the already smooth 360 Kinect.

4) I used to be the exact same way so I can feel your pain. IDK what it is, but recently I've been enjoying it on my speakers more than when I had my headset in though.

5) I have not used any radio apps yet besides Xbox Music, and if im not mistaken, its the same story there. Xbox Music had to be in the foreground to be heard.

Other things to consider. Twitch is cool! OneGuide is awesome especially after this last smartglass update. Smartglass is awesome when surfing the web and navigating without a controller. IE is wicked fast on XB1!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Like you've already been replied to, the first 2 pointers have since been added and work just fine now. As for Kinect navigation, it's definitely not required, but it just makes things faster. There are admittedly some things that perhaps require a few more button presses that would be necessary, however you can pin almost anything to the dashboard, so you can very easily skip Kinect navigation by having a lot of things pinned. I don't think it was ever "legitimately" bad, not even close, but then again the Kinect did help overcome the few silly things, but now most of the silly things have been made easy for controller too all the same. I never minded the OS of Xbox One, in fact I always thought it was good, just a few things were silly but nothing that would as a whole make it even remotely bad. My biggest issue was not being able to select multiple videos to be deleted at once, instead of going through them one by one. And that being the worst problem, it can't be all THAT bad :p

As for games, it really depends what you like. I'm currently playing Thief and Titanfall and loving both. Titanfall I've played over 35 hours, Thief is at about 20 hours and I'm not even halfway through the game yet, but I havn't played it much since Titanfall launched, but I've been picking it up again recently to get it finished one day too :p I have to say if you are naive enough to be like "EA has published a game, I wont buy it no matter how good it is", then it's your own damn loss. Titanfall is easily the most polished and finished new title I've played in the last decade and it's solid in almost every department I can think of (only lack I guess would be e-sports, which I dont care about). I also love Ryse and recommend picking it up used at the very least. Peggle 2, despite a "simple arcade" game, is also really addicting. Watch dogs is coming in may, Trials fusion in april.. my problem is I have no idea how I have enough time to play everything!

As for Kinect games, Just Dance 2014 is really good (not really my thing, but fiancee got it and I like playing it with her). Then there's Fighter Within that absolutely sucks in implementation. Kinect Sports Rivals didn't seem bad when I tried the demo, but isn't really my kinda thing anyways. Several games use Kinect for small things, even if they wern't purely Kinect games. I love whistling in real life to catch the attention of guards in Thief, but at the same time the feature can be a pain in the *** when my 7 months old daughter is awake and screaming :D

Don't know about headsets, don't use any myself except the bundled microphone.

I don't think audio-only is possible, don't really know about input lag, havnt noticed anything major when controlling my DVR with the remote while it comes through the passthrough.

EDIT: Someone pretty much shared their liking for Titanfall with me and you think it's exaggerated. Perhaps if you don't really care for the genre or something, but for me online FPS have been just about my favourite genre since we got a broadband in 2002. Given, most of my hours spent on PC are in MMORPGs, cos thats just how they are, but I've never stopped playing online shooters (some third person), so they've always been a huge part of my gaming experience. I also like other genres a lot, but really, I do think Titanfall is probably the best game I've honestly played in 15 years. The original Rainbow Six games were so epic for me that perhaps I wont put TF ahead of them :p I think Titanfall wasn't hyped too much at all, I think it lived to every hype it had. And I'm still personally surprised about this, it's still weird just how amazing the game is on many fronts.

EDIT2: But some of the complaints are justified, we're not blind fanboys here! :p I personally feel the headset situation was a bit silly, I think they should've made sure that one could use universal headsets are far as possible. There is now the adapter thing, but I don't know much about that. But as said, this is really not a concern to me, I wouldn't play with a headset on anyways, I hate it. Other thing would be better audio controls to decide what you want to come through the headset and what through speakers etc. As for Charge & Play, I don't see any benefit to that, you can get better rechargeable batteries + charger for cheaper and you pretty much get 4 batteries too for less money, no wires for me.

I don't think audio-only passthrough would really be something they should concern themselves with, however they should give us ability to play music on background with some easy way and free way (so not through Xbox Music sub) that at the same time wouldn't require anything to be snapped.

I guess one thing you might hear is that personally I would buy the Xbox One all over again. It lived up to my expectations and even more. Some things are still coming, but I can wait cos for me nothing major is missing. I'm loving the changes they are making, they've mostly been for the better. You've always been quite Xbox One critical, perhaps for some real reasons, but I can't say for sure you'll be happy. When you're that critical about something beforehand, it would have to be exceptionally good for you not to get stuck with the minor problems. Sort of like you seem to want to not like the Xbox One :p

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
3) while titanfall was definitely hyped beyond belief, I still feel that it is without a doubt the best shooter that has ever been released. And with Forza, I actually really haven't noticed any of that simply because the physics in 5 is much much smoother and realistic. At first I didn't notice it, but as I started really training and practicing the different tracks, I could focus in much better and could feel the track much easier than I could with 4. It made learning a hell of a lot more fun for me! Haven't yet paid any attention to the backgrounds and crowds and such. The Kinect games I haven't owned any or know what their names are, but my visits to the Microsoft store have been a lot of fun playing with whatever games they had out. Very smooth compared to the already smooth 360 Kinect.

4) I used to be the exact same way so I can feel your pain. IDK what it is, but recently I've been enjoying it on my speakers more than when I had my headset in though.

Other things to consider. Twitch is cool! OneGuide is awesome especially after this last smartglass update. Smartglass is awesome when surfing the web and navigating without a controller. IE is wicked fast on XB1!

3. I'd disagree with that, but that's just preference. I'd have a hard time picking a console shooter better than Halo 2, in terms of multiplayer. I also really liked Unreal Championship quite a lot. As for Forza, you can find the graphical changes if you look online, I don't really want to clog this up with pictures and articles about it.

4. I don't have anything else to listen to music on, unless I want to use my phone (which I don't). I mean, I COULD hook my phone up to the speakers I have im my closet, but they're a pain to have to deal with getting out and plugging in. I liked having the music in my headset, where I could easily adjust the volume in-game.

I asked my friend with the One to set up a Twitch account so I could check out what he's playing, but I think he said he just got Forza and PvZ:GW, neither of which I'd really care to get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte