Xbox One vs. PS4

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Why do sales number matter at this point? Both are selling WELL above what they were in the previous generation, and thats with almost no new games available at the moment. Its going to be fine. Wii "won" the last round and that did nothing to stop great Xbox 360 and PS3 games being made, and it will be the same with this generation.

Sales numbers greatly matter. Just ask the Wii U. Third-party publishers ignore it. If there is any indication that one platform will dominate another, most developers--especially those with limited resources--will begin making games for the lead platform, either exclusively or first, resulting in long delays of sloppy seconds ports. It's a huge deal. Just ask anyone who owns a Windows Phone.

The Wii is an interesting but abnormal case of a console that technically 'won' the last generation by pure sales alone, but by the end of the generation was completely irrelevant because game attachment rate was abysmal. Basically, everyone's parents bought a Wii because it was cheap and unique, played the free Wii Sports, and then it collected dust for the past 4 years. Xbox 360 and PS3 were the true winners of the last generation because they had enormous installation bases and high game attachment rates. This generation, though, is on pace to be like the 6th generation where PS2 dominated Xbox and GameCube. Not only is that not good for Xbox, as that's hard to recover from, but I think it's bad for gaming because I don't like where Sony is taking the industry (answer: nowhere; just boring spec upgrades). I much prefer what Microsoft is doing (Kinect, illumiroom, etc.), and, as we have already seen with the Kinect unbundling, Sony's success can muck up technological progress by other companies forced into isomorphism due to short-sighted consumers. That's why I'm frustrated.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Sales numbers greatly matter. Just ask the Wii U. Third-party publishers ignore it. If there is any indication that one platform will dominate another, most developers--especially those with limited resources--will begin making games for the lead platform, either exclusively or first, resulting in long delays of sloppy seconds ports. It's a huge deal. Just ask anyone who owns a Windows Phone.

The Wii is an interesting but abnormal case of a console that technically 'won' the last generation by pure sales alone, but by the end of the generation was completely irrelevant because game attachment rate was abysmal. Basically, everyone's parents bought a Wii because it was cheap and unique, played the free Wii Sports, and then it collected dust for the past 4 years. Xbox 360 and PS3 were the true winners of the last generation because they had enormous installation bases and high game attachment rates. This generation, though, is on pace to be like the 6th generation where PS2 dominated Xbox and GameCube. Not only is that not good for Xbox, as that's hard to recover from, but I think it's bad for gaming because I don't like where Sony is taking the industry (answer: nowhere; just boring spec upgrades). I much prefer what Microsoft is doing (Kinect, illumiroom, etc.), and, as we have already seen with the Kinect unbundling, Sony's success can muck up technological progress by other companies forced into isomorphism due to short-sighted consumers. That's why I'm frustrated.

I get the sense the Wii U is being ignored for reasons more so than sales.

And I honestly don't think gamers are losing any sleep over the Kinect or any other peripheral MS has planned not working out. I don't claim to know how all gamers feel. But most of the gaming communities I frequent just don't care and want the gaming device they think gives them the best bang for their buck. For many, they felt it was the PS4 (with their perceived superiority in specs, consumer friendly features and price). I can't say I'm impressed with what either machine has to offer. But I also don't see how Sony is doing a disservice to gaming if its providing a gaming machine that seems to accomplish what it needs to and has a price people are comfortable with. Ultimately, if someone really wants a Xbone, they will get one. Im sure some are waiting for the games they want to play and the console will be fine. Again, no point in stressing over something you have no control over.

latunza

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
My friend, x1 being better then PS4 is subjective. x1 one has the better games is a matter of personal opinion. I personally don't like a single game on either PS4 or x1, but I can tell you that down the line I'm getting a PS4. Not because of what consumers are doing, or the better apps and features, or the better specs, it all boils down to the games I like to play. I've owned a PS1-PS3 and had whatever other system came out on the side. I stuck with my PlayStation's while I got rid of the other systems. Sony has always satisfied me with a variety of great single player games. I can play Ratchet & Clank (3D Platform), God of War (hack & Slash), Uncharted (3rd person shooter), Killzone (FPS), Little Big Planet (2D Side Scroller), & Gran Turismo (Racing) and say each one is a different and thrilling experience. I don't play many 3rd player games so where does that leave my relationship with x1? Halo, Gears? Played them and didn't care for them. So don't be upset in the end everyone's making money and no one actually cares about the consumer. We get to play games and thats that.

PS - Windows Phone being better then any other platform is also subjective. I came from android and have a L1020 and my wife has a Moto X. Besides a nice camera and smooth OS, WP is vastly inferior to my wife's Moto X running KitKat. Even the Microsoft apps are better on Android. I don't lose sleep over it.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I get the sense the Wii U is being ignored for reasons more so than sales.

And I honestly don't think gamers are losing any sleep over the Kinect or any other peripheral MS has planned not working out. I don't claim to know how all gamers feel. But most of the gaming communities I frequent just don't care and want the gaming device they think gives them the best bang for their buck. For many, they felt it was the PS4 (with their perceived superiority in specs, consumer friendly features and price). I can't say I'm impressed with what either machine has to offer. But I also don't see how Sony is doing a disservice to gaming if its providing a gaming machine that seems to accomplish what it needs to and has a price people are comfortable with. Ultimately, if someone really wants a Xbone, they will get one. Im sure some are waiting for the games they want to play and the console will be fine. Again, no point in stressing over something you have no control over.

I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, but it's good to notice that "gaming communities you visit" also represents a small portion of gamers. Vast majority of people who own consoles do not belong to any gaming communities or frequent gaming websites/forums. This is why game developers are hesistant on balancing games around forum feedback alone - it reflects a very small portion of the playerbase.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Sony has always satisfied me with a variety of great single player games. I can play Ratchet & Clank (3D Platform), God of War (hack & Slash), Uncharted (3rd person shooter), Killzone (FPS), Little Big Planet (2D Side Scroller), & Gran Turismo (Racing) and say each one is a different and thrilling experience. I don't play many 3rd player games so where does that leave my relationship with x1? Halo, Gears? Played them and didn't care for them.

Sorry, but did you just say that you played Halo and Gears of War and weren't impressed but you were impressed with Killzone? I've lost all faith in the gaming community.

Conker > Ratchet and Clank
Gears of War > Uncharted
Dead Rising 3 > God of War
Halo > Killzone
Project Spark > Little Big Planet
Forza > Gran Turismo
Killer Instinct > (no entry)
Kinect Sports Rivals > (no entry)

Besides a nice camera and smooth OS, WP is vastly inferior to my wife's Moto X running KitKat
Did you just admit that the WP OS is better than Android's and then say that except for the fact that it's better, it's worse? Huh? WP runs like butter. Android runs like mud.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but did you just say that you played Halo and Gears of War and weren't impressed but you were impressed with Killzone? I've lost all faith in the gaming community.

Gears of War > Uncharted
Halo > Killzone
Forza > Gran Turismo

Did you just admit that the WP OS is better than Android's and then say that except for the fact that it's better, it's worse? Huh? WP runs like butter. Android runs like mud.

I tthink what the poster is saying is that they prefer PS exclusives over Xbox.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, but it's good to notice that "gaming communities you visit" also represents a small portion of gamers. Vast majority of people who own consoles do not belong to any gaming communities or frequent gaming websites/forums. This is why game developers are hesistant on balancing games around forum feedback alone - it reflects a very small portion of the playerbase.

Fair points.

latunza

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I also prefer Sonic the Hedgehog over Mario *gasp*! Thats why we have options. And for the sake of argument, yeah I love God of War because I dig Greek inspired mythology over mindless zombie killing and I prefer killzone because of the Nazi-esque vibe. But that doesn't mean I don't respect the next persons decision and question his love of game. I don't lose sleep over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Gears of War > Uncharted
Halo > Killzone
Forza > Gran Turismo

It's all subjective. I'm a die hard Microsoft ****** and a True Day One Original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One user and I disagree on some.

Gears of War < Uncharted
Dead Rising 3 < God of War
Halo > Killzone
Forza > Gran Turismo

Gears Sucks, and while DR3 is a great game, the progression is too fast and gets boring quick. No reason I shoulda got the Mega Man suit in less that 3 days.

Also I recently switched to an Android due to Tmobile slow pace for Flagship phones and I can 100% say that besides TWO hiccups so far, It's been an amazing ride. I have to intent on switch back until Microsoft matches ALL of the G3's specs and apps start hopping, I don't understand how I lived without some of these!

Point is taste is subjective and while I'm a HUGE ****** with 3 Windows Phones right beside me and my Xbox One On and ready to play Titanfall (XBO FTW!) I'm no stranger to other ecosystems. Each System/Product has a strong point and a negative, and it just so happens that the Xbox One has a lot more positives than Sony in this round.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Gears of War > Uncharted
Halo > Killzone
Forza > Gran Turismo

1. Kinect Sports Rivals's best trick is showing how inconsistent and frustrating the Kinect can be. Sony really doesn't need to have an entry into the competition for "inaccurate, clunky motion-based sports gimmick."
2. Conker last had a release in 2005, so there is nothing to even talk up there. Ratchet & Clank wins by default if Kinect Sports Rivals does, no question, because Ratchet & Clank games at least aren't bad.

The rest are all preferential, but I'd agree with just 3 of those. I care nothing for fighting games, and I think Dead Rising blows. Gears and Uncharted really don't even sit in the same realm, not sure why you compared them.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
1. Kinect Sports Rivals's best trick is showing how inconsistent and frustrating the Kinect can be. Sony really doesn't need to have an entry into the competition for "inaccurate, clunky motion-based sports gimmick."
2. Conker last had a release in 2005, so there is nothing to even talk up there. Ratchet & Clank wins by default if Kinect Sports Rivals does, no question, because Ratchet & Clank games at least aren't bad.
The rest are all preferential, but I'd agree with just 3 of those. I care nothing for fighting games, and I think Dead Rising blows. Gears and Uncharted really don't even sit in the same realm, not sure why you compared them.

1. Sony doesn't have an entry here because their version of the PlayStation camera is even worse. They smartly threw in the towel back in early 2013 when they decided to unbundle it knowing that it couldn't match up with the Kinect. Don't get me wrong, the Kinect 2 still has loads of problems and is nowhere near as accurate as I'd like it to be, but that kind of precision won't come till Kinect 3 or 4 and my real problem with Sony is that we'll likely never get to that point if they're leading the market. All we'll be doing is playing the same decades-old count-and-controller setup we've been doing since the late 70s. (Don't even get me started on them ripping off VR from Oculus Rift--VR is going to flop hard and Sony will abandon it in a few years like they always do). That said, Kinect Sports Rivals is a decent game. Calling it "inaccurate, clunky motion-based sports gimmick" is a disservice to the hard work Rare put into it. Some things are clunky (shooting, soccer), some things are solid (bowling and tennis), and some things are great (wake racing and rock climbing). My hope is that Harmonix will show everyone what Kinect can do this fall with Dance Central Spotlight and Fantasia: Music Evolved, and then indie games like Fru will put on the finishing touches. Kinect has had a wonderful impact in many non-gaming realms (instant translation of sign language, assisting the deaf and hard of hearing as well as the blind, in medicine and surgery, in fitness and health, in the business realm, etc.).
2. Conker is coming to Project Spark this year. Team Dakota will have a showcase level.
3. It doesn't really matter if you like fighting games or not: Killer Instinct is a great fighting game nevertheless. Dead Rising is also pretty fun.
4. My comparisons were loosely based on the genres the original poster used.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
1. Sony doesn't have an entry here because their version of the PlayStation camera is even worse. They smartly threw in the towel back in early 2013 when they decided to unbundle it knowing that it couldn't match up with the Kinect. Don't get me wrong, the Kinect 2 still has loads of problems and is nowhere near as accurate as I'd like it to be, but that kind of precision won't come till Kinect 3 or 4 and my real problem with Sony is that we'll likely never get to that point if they're leading the market. All we'll be doing is playing the same decades-old count-and-controller setup we've been doing since the late 70s. (Don't even get me started on them ripping off VR from Oculus Rift--VR is going to flop hard and Sony will abandon it in a few years like they always do). That said, Kinect Sports Rivals is a decent game. Calling it "inaccurate, clunky motion-based sports gimmick" is a disservice to the hard work Rare put into it. Some things are clunky (shooting, soccer), some things are solid (bowling and tennis), and some things are great (wake racing and rock climbing). My hope is that Harmonix will show everyone what Kinect can do this fall with Dance Central Spotlight and Fantasia: Music Evolved, and then indie games like Fru will put on the finishing touches. Kinect has had a wonderful impact in many non-gaming realms (instant translation of sign language, assisting the deaf and hard of hearing as well as the blind, in medicine and surgery, in fitness and health, in the business realm, etc.).
2. Conker is coming to Project Spark this year. Team Dakota will have a showcase level.
3. It doesn't really matter if you like fighting games or not: Killer Instinct is a great fighting game nevertheless. Dead Rising is also pretty fun.
4. My comparisons were loosely based on the genres the original poster used.

Why is Sony to blame if the Kinect doesn't take off? At the end of the day, the market has to be there for it and MS and developers have to be serious in investing in it. Regardless of what Sony does (and its well within their right to have taken advantage of the situation), the blame has to be put on MS for their initial muddled message and (for lack of a better way to put it) consumers for not caring.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I think a point a lot of people forget is the PS4 is designed from the ground up to be a simple games console, nothing more. Whereas the XB1 is designed from the ground up to be a media hub, with a games console built in (and a good one too!).

I use my XB1 more for on demand apps, Twitch, controlling my Amp when I play music around the home, changing TV channels & volume, surfing the web, showing off Flickr photos on my TV, YouTube, etc all without even touching a controller, I only need to do that to play a game.

Smartglass is great for sending messages, purchasing apps or games whilst away from home (XB1 auto downloads for me) and browsing the web, then sending the site to the XB1 when I get home and continuing on the big screen.

I find as I'm getting older (25 atm) I care less and less about the games and more about the system as a whole, and I expect more from my hardware than just games. Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to the games coming this year but lets be honest, unless you are sat 2 inches from your TV are you going to notice the difference between PS4 and XB1 graphics? I'd rather take the near impossible to see graphical hit in exchange for all the additional functionality the XB1 offers.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I might be 100% wrong, but I think Xbox was designed as a Gaming Console first, then they started stacking on the Media integrations. I believe they were developing this then realized that they needed a way to stand out, so what else to do than add a slim version of Windows 8 to run apps on top of the Gaming OS. All it does is overlays another "Window" over whatever you're doing, similar to Windows 8 Multi tasking. That's how the Xbox One uses multiple apps properly. So to have an opinion, I think (it sounded like) they had the Gaming OS down and was stable with that, and introduced Windows 8 to overlay over the Gaming OS later in the development cycle. Seems legit, which is why they Console still prioritizes games.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying that it wasn't built to be a gaming console, but that their added focus on everything else is there biggest trump card. Take your mobile for example, how many people (in the developed world) use their phones primarily for calling or texting? Most will 60% or more of the time be doing something else on it... otherwise smartphones wouldn't have had the rise that they have... give it time and the XB1s "other" functions will be expected and to not follow suit will be insane.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I find as I'm getting older (25 atm) I care less and less about the games and more about the system as a whole, and I expect more from my hardware than just games.
This is exactly my take in this generation consoles and some other friends have started to think the same... but you know, it comes with more responsabilities, less free time and blah blah blah.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I honestly hate these threads, but, for some dam reason, I find myself addicted to conflict and this is a major subject on this.

Xbox one is lower on sales because how it was announced and released.
1. The announcement focused on TV more than games
2. The system was $100 more than the PS4
3. The Kinect was forced on everyone, people who wanted it or not.
4. Then the Non-Sharing of USED games and this was a epic failure in a PR standpoint.

We have a VCR looking thing (and not a VCR from the last 15 years, we are talking a 70's VCR) that still as major limits, we have titles coming out for both systems that are lower spec than the PS4. It's not the point that about 95% of the people in this thread cant tell the difference between 900p and 1080p or 30fps vs. 60fps but, it's a numbers game.

If your a hardcore gamer or at least keep a good look on games, when it comes to PC gaming (yes, everything in gaming compares to PC because it IS the reference in gaming) it's all about the numbers, how many frames you get, what level your running the game and what res it's running at. This is a big deal to PC gamers, when you can play modern games like Crysis 3 (example) at 100fps, your doing pretty good.

The PS4 was released at a lower price point and 100% focused on gaming, Not TV, not Netflix, Gaming. This is why the PS4 sold more to start with. Most games on the PS4 are at 1080p60 (with some acceptions) but, a lot of games on the X1 have lower frame rate and lower res. Again, taking reference from PC gaming, it's a numbers game.

When it comes down to sales, I don't think they make as much of a difference here as people are making it. Both consoles have sold millions of consoles, the support will be there, and the games will come. From a gamer standpoint, this is a non-issue.

Microsoft learned their lesion, @ E3 they showed they care about games and I don't think I heard one word about TV features. They showed new titles and exclusive titles. They also freed up resources on the X1 from the Kinect so devs could access it, so better, higher frame rate and res games could come down the pipe.

Now they released the X1 with out the Kinect for the same price as the PS4, finally after many months they are on the same playing field. It will take time(months) to see any real change in the numbers.

Now, it' about the exclusives, once we see Halo 5 hit and a few other key titles, I think the tables will turn a little. The hardcore gamers have gotten their systems and we are waiting for the titles that will make someone buy the systems and that will happen soon.

I gave up on these discussion, I love games, that is what I am about, Xbox or Playstation, if it's a good game, I want to play it. I have both, PS4 and Xbox one and I am looking forward to Gears of War and Uncharted 4....so I can play them both :)

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Good post.

If only fan boys (on both sides) saw it that way.

I dream of the day people respect others opinions and choices... Alas that is not this day...

On a brighter note I just got an achievement for watching TV, BLEEP BLOOP!
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786