Xbox One vs. PS4

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I got Xbox One on Day One because I thought it was the better system than the PS4. Seven months later, I believe that to be true even more: it's got more features, better games, a more ambitious OS, and better apps. Yet, the PS4 continues to trounce it in monthly sales. I'm a huge fan of the Kinect, but I get that some weren't and so, I was disappointed but eager when Microsoft announced the Kinect-free bundle as it would finally put the X1 on par with the PS4 in regards to price, which I assumed was the biggest factor influencing the sales discrepancy. Well, NPD numbers for June are out and the PS4 beat the Xbox One in U.S. sales for the 6th month in a row. I assumed that sales in June would explode for X1, but I would've been satisfied with it simply outselling the PS4. Neither of those things happened and now, for some reason, I feel really depressed and angry about it because I feel that Microsoft put forward the better product, supplied it with better games, content and features, and the global consumer doesn't care. If the Xbox One cannot outsell the PS4 in the U.S. in the month that it reached price parity, I'm feeling very pessimistic about the future. This may turn out to be a repeat of the 6th generation where the PS2 trounced the Xbox and GameCube. Microsoft made such huge gains in the 7th generation, with the X360 all be equaling the PS3, that it's depressing to think they may fall of the throne back to the dais.

I seriously hate the mass consumer: Xbox One is better than PS4. Windows Phone is better than Android. What the eff is wrong with these yahoos!?

The PS4 beats the Xbox One when it comes to RAW power allowing for 1080p gaming, and the exclusive Sony titles are also pretty awesome.

Xbox One is by no means a bad console but people are attached to the PlayStation because most of us used it when we we're children.

I don't understand your last argument though. Android is better than Windows Phone in most aspects, PS4 and Xbox One are comparable and depends on your preferences.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
While true that PS4 has more power, you make it sound like Xbox One wouldn't be capable of 1080p gaming which obviously isn't true

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
While true that PS4 has more power, you make it sound like Xbox One wouldn't be capable of 1080p gaming which obviously isn't true

Yes I would like to apologize, the Xbox One is indeed capable of 1080p content however not as the same level of quality as the PlayStation 4.

Microsoft has done things to improve this by allowing developers to use around 10% more GPU power, however I don't think that will still bridge the gap between the hardware capabilities of both.

Personally I would be happy with both, even if I had a PS4 or a Xbox One as both of them are amazing consoles.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes I would like to apologize, the Xbox One is indeed capable of 1080p content however not as the same level of quality as the PlayStation 4.

Microsoft has done things to improve this by allowing developers to use around 10% more GPU power, however I don't think that will still bridge the gap between the hardware capabilities of both.

Personally I would be happy with both, even if I had a PS4 or a Xbox One as both of them are amazing consoles.

What quality? I think Ryse is still the most "beautiful" game in regards with Graphics quality.

The first PS4 game I played was COD: Ghosts from my brother in law, then I bought the XBone bundled with Forza and bought a Ryse cd and thought Ryse "quality" was better.

I think this has to do with the developers.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
What quality? I think Ryse is still the most "beautiful" game in regards with Graphics quality.

The first PS4 game I played was COD: Ghosts from my brother in law, then I bought the XBone bundled with Forza and bought a Ryse cd and thought Ryse "quality" was better.

While a developer somewhat plays a role in it, the hardware in the PS4 is still more powerful allowing for better anti-aliasing at a higher resolution.

Then again I've never played on either, I'm a PC gamer who likes to keep updated with the latest in technology.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

The quality where 1080p often comes at the expense of frame rate. With Diablo III, putting the game at 1080p meant they didn't lock the frame rate to 60 FPS.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

There is obviously more to it than just resolution. Minecraft at 4k doesn't look better than say.. Battlefield 4 at 720p. It is undeniable that PS4 is more powerful so everything else being equal (which it never really is, memory is so different between the two for example) PS4 should be always able to squeeze out at least a few frames more if nothing else. The new DX12 stuff might change something to make the gap closer, but shouldn't bring X1 ahead of PS4 in what it can squeeze out.

But yes, I also think that Ryse at 900p is the prettiest game on next gen so far. But at the same time it's clear that it would've ran that tiny bit better on PS4 if they would've made it there. Similarly also Thief on X1 ran at 900p as opposed to 1080p on PS4, but still several reviewers said that it looked a bit better on X1 due to some graphic technology that X1 did better. The 360 was inferior in specs to PS3, but still most multiplats were apparently better looking/running on 360 cos of easier developing. PS3 exclusives then again were typically better than most things on 360. Right now though the X1 is at least for the time being weaker in specs, but also the harder of the two to develop for. The new DX12 should help with the developing part, though, but we'll see.

It's a lot of text about a non-issue though. I've seen nothing on the PS4 that would've looked better than the best stuff on Xbox One so far and it has been nothing short of gorgeous, that's plenty enough for me, both consoles are weak in terms of hardware compared to my PC anyways, so it's not the specs I bought the console for.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
There is obviously more to it than just resolution. Minecraft at 4k doesn't look better than say.. Battlefield 4 at 720p. It is undeniable that PS4 is more powerful so everything else being equal (which it never really is, memory is so different between the two for example) PS4 should be always able to squeeze out at least a few frames more if nothing else. The new DX12 stuff might change something to make the gap closer, but shouldn't bring X1 ahead of PS4 in what it can squeeze out.

But yes, I also think that Ryse at 900p is the prettiest game on next gen so far. But at the same time it's clear that it would've ran that tiny bit better on PS4 if they would've made it there. Similarly also Thief on X1 ran at 900p as opposed to 1080p on PS4, but still several reviewers said that it looked a bit better on X1 due to some graphic technology that X1 did better. The 360 was inferior in specs to PS3, but still most multiplats were apparently better looking/running on 360 cos of easier developing. PS3 exclusives then again were typically better than most things on 360. Right now though the X1 is at least for the time being weaker in specs, but also the harder of the two to develop for. The new DX12 should help with the developing part, though, but we'll see.

It's a lot of text about a non-issue though. I've seen nothing on the PS4 that would've looked better than the best stuff on Xbox One so far and it has been nothing short of gorgeous, that's plenty enough for me, both consoles are weak in terms of hardware compared to my PC anyways, so it's not the specs I bought the console for.

Both look good. Like you said, it depends on the game.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't care about graphics at all--just features and content (games, apps, etc.). That's why I am so annoyed at Sony for directing the focus of everything on this ridiculous 1080p/60fps crap at the expense of the stuff that really matters. Sadly, this has forced Microsoft to participate in this stupid pissing contest too and innovation is being retarded as a result.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't care about graphics at all--just features and content (games, apps, etc.). That's why I am so annoyed at Sony for directing the focus of everything on this ridiculous 1080p/60fps crap at the expense of the stuff that really matters. Sadly, this has forced Microsoft to participate in this stupid pissing contest too and innovation is being retarded as a result.

I too think gameplay is more important than graphics, but for a new generation, we would expect 1080p 60FPS to be the norm. I think devs just need to get used to both platforms, all will make beautiful games next year (AHEM The Division) and years after.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The Division is the game which scares me the most. I mean, I'm still on a 720p TV and all, but it's the game which I'd worry about with visuals. I can't help but wonder if it can top 720p/30 FPS on the One. We've seen less-impressive games hit 1080p/60 FPS, and it's not like Ubisoft's given that game a load of extra time to get optimized.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The Division is the game which scares me the most. I mean, I'm still on a 720p TV and all, but it's the game which I'd worry about with visuals. I can't help but wonder if it can top 720p/30 FPS on the One. We've seen less-impressive games hit 1080p/60 FPS, and it's not like Ubisoft's given that game a load of extra time to get optimized.

Why are you scared? I'm sure that game will be 60FPS more than 720p for X1.

And I bet your TV works fine, but 1080p TVs are quite cheap now. My brother got a great deal on amazon for a Sony 1080p TV for only $400, and it's stunning and thin!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

And I bet your TV works fine, but 1080p TVs are quite cheap now. My brother got a great deal on amazon for a Sony 1080p TV for only $400, and it's stunning and thin!

Loool I still have a 480p TV, I'll check out some deals, thanks.

Time to save up some money for a better TV.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
IMO I haven't noticed huge differences between 720p and 1080p, a 40 inch HD TV would be nice I guess. :p

Thanks a lot for helping out though.

It depends on the TV. Like there are some $700 4K TVs, but they are crap. They did a comparison between that and the top 720p TV, and it was worse. So in some cases, the number of pixels and resolution doesn't always mean it's better.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
It depends on the TV. Like there are some $700 4K TVs, but they are crap. They did a comparison between that and the top 720p TV, and it was worse. So in some cases, the number of pixels and resolution doesn't always mean it's better.

We'll that's for sure. There's a similar situation in the mobile industry, LG released a 2K display phone and while the resolution is high they made cuts in the quality of the display, some people we're even happy going back to their Moto X's 720p screen after having terrible experiences with the G3.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I honestly just can't say I care though. If I was going to go throw $400+ at anything right now, I'd just get a PS4 or a high-end video card. I've been using this TV since 2008 without issue, and even after playing games on 1080p TVs, I don't care to get a new one (despite improved visuals).

The thing that scares me is that BF4 was 720p and couldn't hold 60 FPS. Diablo III can't hold 60 FPS at 1080p. The Division blows every other game I've seen out of the water, and few have hit 1080p, and fewer have added 60 FPS to that. My honest expectation is that it'll be like BF4, 720p on the One and 900p on the PS4, without holding 60 FPS on either.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
hi :) I think the term to be used instead of "quality" should be Performance regarding framerates on a 1080p resolution.

As the XBox One can really reach 1080p.

Anyway am not an English Major so... :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb