Xbox One vs. PS4

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Got my Xbox One coming on Tuesday with the Destiny bundle and I can wait. Ps4 sold on ebay a few days ago so im glad I got rid of that poorly made loud console. I have no doubt that in a few years quite alot of the ps4 will fail due to overheating and fan issues.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
if you get both, then while you're bringing your ps4 in for those you'll be able to also repair the disc drive and kinect issues on the Xbox. Multitask! 👍

CervezaFria

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Got my Xbox One coming on Tuesday with the Destiny bundle and I can wait. Ps4 sold on ebay a few days ago so im glad I got rid of that poorly made loud console. I have no doubt that in a few years quite alot of the ps4 will fail due to overheating and fan issues.

I just pcked one up at the Microsoft Store. Microsoft is running a crazy deal at their stores. You get a free disk based game and a $50 gift card with the purchase of an Xbox One bundle. I got the Forza bundle, used the gift card to pre-order Destiny and grabbed a game for my kids.

Just go to the Microsoft Store website and the deal is shown there (I can't post a link until I have more posts under my belt, sorry)

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

That's what I hate about my ps4. I only use my ps4 for exclusives they have.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
if you get both, then while you're bringing your ps4 in for those you'll be able to also repair the disc drive and kinect issues on the Xbox. Multitask! ��

Still not experienced this, nor have the 10 other people I know personally who purchased an XB1. To my knowledge, it is people running with the console on its side, and once it experiences an issue they try with it flat to find it is broken. (Even though it is on a label on the damned console saying to only run with it flat and not on its side)

Also, what Kinect issues? I know a few people have been confused by some games disabling Kinect (as per MS update) but you just reenable it by pressing the Xbox button and going to the home page. Its the trade off for having a game use the memory originally allocated for voice commands etc...

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Still not experienced this, nor have the 10 other people I know personally who purchased an XB1. To my knowledge, it is people running with the console on its side, and once it experiences an issue they try with it flat to find it is broken. (Even though it is on a label on the damned console saying to only run with it flat and not on its side)

Also, what Kinect issues? I know a few people have been confused by some games disabling Kinect (as per MS update) but you just reenable it by pressing the Xbox button and going to the home page. Its the trade off for having a game use the memory originally allocated for voice commands etc...
They're both known issues you can easily Google. Not affecting all devices. So pretty much the same deal with ps4 known issues.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Anything to back that claim up?

Yep, go to the site and then click on the link that discusses their "methodology"--with your first clue that they don't know what they're doing being that they have a section called "methodology". Methodology is the study of employing methods, not a description of the methods one uses. Anyone with a statistics degree--or anyone who even took a course in statistics--knows this.

Then you can read their admission that their sales data are "estimates", based on the following dubious and statistically meaningless methods:
•Passively polling end users to find out what games they are currently purchasing and playing
•Polling retail partners to find out what games and hardware they are selling
•Using statistical trend fitting and historical data for similar games
•Studying resell prices to determine consumer demand and inventory levels
•Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel

Their data only become reliable after companies like Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony announce official sales numbers, in which case VGchartz then hastily corrects their flawed estimates, leaving no archive of how badly they were off.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, it seems that Xbox One sales in Japan are even more abysmal than everyone had thought they would be. Very frustrating to see it get so little appreciation there, especially since the bundles they launched were such a great bargain.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, it seems that Xbox One sales in Japan are even more abysmal than everyone had thought they would be. Very frustrating to see it get so little appreciation there, especially since the bundles they launched were such a great bargain.

I said that a few weeks ago in the comments, and you got mad at me. :p

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I said that a few weeks ago in the comments, and you got mad at me. :p

I don't quite recall that, but I believe that was because you were referring to a click-bait article that had declared Xbox One to be selling poorly in Japan based on zero sales data (i.e. no evidence). Now we have evidence (actual sales numbers), and therefore it is a fair topic of discussion. I was never doubting that the Xbox One would sell poorly in Japan (although, I didn't think it'd be this bad)--I was lambasting the sorry state of Internet journalism where people fabricate 'facts' out of circumstantial evidence.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't quite recall that, but I believe that was because you were referring to a click-bait article that had declared Xbox One to be selling poorly in Japan based on zero sales data (i.e. no evidence). Now we have evidence (actual sales numbers), and therefore it is a fair topic of discussion. I was never doubting that the Xbox One would sell poorly in Japan (although, I didn't think it'd be this bad)--I was lambasting the sorry state of Internet journalism where people fabricate 'facts' out of circumstantial evidence.

Well it was obvious, one person was in line...

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well it was obvious, one person was in line...

One person was in line at one store, in one district, of one city. That doesn't tell us anything, particularly with the rise of home delivery services and online retailers. Yes, it turned out to be an indicator that sales were lower than expected, but it was not scientifically valid to extrapolate that from the information at hand at the time. Ergo, it was shoddy journalism.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
One person was in line at one store, in one district, of one city. That doesn't tell us anything, particularly with the rise of home delivery services and online retailers. Yes, it turned out to be an indicator that sales were lower than expected, but it was not scientifically valid to extrapolate that from the information at hand at the time. Ergo, it was shoddy journalism.

You realize the PS4 had a long line in Japan and a lot of popularity compared to the Xbox one launch there? That made it quite obvious the Xbox wasn't going to sell well there. It was obvious before it was even launched...

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what exlusive games could convince the Market there(Japan) to buy an XBox One? The next Forza Horizon should be set I guess here in Asia. :D

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You realize the PS4 had a long line in Japan and a lot of popularity compared to the Xbox one launch there? That made it quite obvious the Xbox wasn't going to sell well there. It was obvious before it was even launched...

People standing in line isn't quantitative evidence. Sales numbers are quantitative evidence. Journalists were taking the suggestive evidence of people standing in line vs. people not standing in line and using it to factually imply sales numbers. You can't do that. Only sales numbers can be sales numbers. I'm not arguing that the PS4 didn't sell well in Japan (actually, it's not selling that well, although its launch was decent) or that the Xbox One was expected to sell well but didn't (no one expected it to sell well). I'm saying that, from a statistical point of view, you cannot make quantitative claims based on flimsy qualitative evidence. And that is exactly what journalists were doing.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what exlusive games could convince the Market there(Japan) to buy an XBox One? The next Forza Horizon should be set I guess here in Asia. :D

I would think the recently released D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die would've helped a little bit, as it's a quirky, niche game by a Japanese developer, but it doesn't seem to have received much promotional efforts from Microsoft, which is unfortunate because the game is good and the Kinect controls in it are fantastic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb