Xbox One vs. PS4

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am not that concerned about that. The Playstation brand is healthy. If they spun it off from Sony, it won't suddenly die off. Besides, there is a lot more to the gaming industry than Xbox and Playstation: Nintendo, Steam, Origin, the iOS app store, and Google Play are major players, and Amazon is trying to get into the game as well. There is a ton of competition.

Smartphone/tablet games are hardly a competitor to console gaming. Nintendo themselves (despite going through their own financial trouble) have stated that they aren't competing with high end hardware gaming. The Wii U will never have those bleeding edge graphical games that X1 and PS4 have (the Titanfalls and Uncharteds of gaming) and while steam and origin, or PC gaming in general can be technically superior to the high end consoles, there are cases where consoles still get awesome exclusives (Forza and Halo series) that the PC doesn't. Even for the good titles that are on PC, multiplayer will never be as good as Xbox Live and PSN the population just isn't there. I remember buying Titanfall for both X1 and PC and even with Respawn's various matchmaking optimizations it would always take drastically much longer to find a game on PC than it did on X1. Not very many people game on PC's anymore, or if they do they sure do a good job of avoiding me lol. The console gaming market is still huge, and I mean huge. That leaves PS4 vs X1. In a theoretical scenario where PlayStation changes management and it affects the service negatively, there will perhaps be a mass exodus to X1 which would be great for matchmaking and such but by the end of this generation there will probably be a slowing of innovation from Microsoft. Which isn't always bad because there are only so many features you can add to the X1 but if that sluggishness bleeds into the next generation.... Not good 😞

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
PC gaming is probably healthier than ever at the moment, though, when talking about "actual gaming", meaning excluding people playing Farmville that are now playing on phones and tablets. There was some kind of a news near PS4/X1 launch about Steam having 80 million active users or something (might've been accounts too, as in not necessarily active). That was around the time when PS3 and X360 had both sold 80 million each. So to put it into a perspective.. but still, PC gaming is healthy.

I also tested Titanfall both on PC and X1, ended up paying twice the money to get it on X1, simply cos I enjoyed playing it more on a console for whatever reason. I had both, I always ended up playing it on the One.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
PC gaming is probably healthier than ever at the moment, though, when talking about "actual gaming", meaning excluding people playing Farmville that are now playing on phones and tablets. There was some kind of a news near PS4/X1 launch about Steam having 80 million active users or something (might've been accounts too, as in not necessarily active). That was around the time when PS3 and X360 had both sold 80 million each. So to put it into a perspective.. but still, PC gaming is healthy.

I also tested Titanfall both on PC and X1, ended up paying twice the money to get it on X1, simply cos I enjoyed playing it more on a console for whatever reason. I had both, I always ended up playing it on the One.

I'm not gonna make any derogatory statements about PC gaming because I used to have a modest gaming machine that played damn near everything at 1080p60 on max settings, only cost me $600 to build #pcmasterrace ;) I will say that the console gaming audience is different from the PC gaming audience. For some reason I enjoy gaming on a console more. I don't exactly see the PC as a direct competitor to consoles.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Smartphone/tablet games are hardly a competitor to console gaming.

Graphics don't matter. Revenue matters. That's it. And Smartphone/tablet gaming is the fastest growing sector of the gaming industry. It's an enormous player now and it'll be even better in a few years. Just look at the state of gaming in Japan to see where the rest of the world could be soon. Microsoft really needs to pull off the "Xbox One" concept by bringing a unified Xbox experience to consoles, Windows PCs, Windows tablets, and Windows phones.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Graphics don't matter. Revenue matters. That's it. And Smartphone/tablet gaming is the fastest growing sector of the gaming industry. It's an enormous player now and it'll be even better in a few years. Just look at the state of gaming in Japan to see where the rest of the world could be soon. Microsoft really needs to pull off the "Xbox One" concept by bringing a unified Xbox experience to consoles, Windows PCs, Windows tablets, and Windows phones.

Well when I talk about market share competition it's usually within the U.S. as that is where I live and will be living for the foreseeable future so that's my immediate concern. Gaming in Japan has always been different than it is in the west. I'm not saying tablet/phone gaming is small, far from it I like my mobile games. What I am saying is that they aren't exactly direct competitors. A rough analogy would be: Take the NFL and NBA; they're both sports, they both have an audience that pays for tickets to watch the game, both have players on a team attempting to score points via manipulation of a ball. But they don't compete with each other because they're different the core experience is different. Same with console gaming and mobile gaming. They're both gaming, they're just different. That's not to say you can't enjoy both though. I'd say Sony and Nintendo have more to worry about with tablets encroaching on Vita and 3DS sales. That's more of a level playing field. Microsoft doesn't have a dedicated mobile gaming platform (you can't say Windows Phone I'm sorry, even the best phone game can't compete with a mobile system dedicated to gaming) so nothing to worry about for then in that regard. The console gaming experience is still a unique experience that people really enjoy. Market analysts were saying exactly what you're saying "tablets/mobile gaming have gotten so big this might be the end of the consoles" before the X1/PS4 even launched. Look at sales now, they're doing better than the start of last generation in 2005.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
What I am saying is that they aren't exactly direct competitors...Market analysts were saying exactly what you're saying "tablets/mobile gaming have gotten so big this might be the end of the consoles" before the X1/PS4 even launched. Look at sales now, they're doing better than the start of last generation in 2005.

They are direct competitors. Gaming is gaming. Sales are sales. Consumers are consumers. And I never said that console gaming was coming to an end. It will continue to grow, but it will continue to grow at a slower pace than it otherwise would've, because of the growth of mobile gaming. People only have so much money and time to spend on entertainment. If they spend some of those dollars and minutes on mobile gaming, they cannot spend them on console gaming.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
They are direct competitors. Gaming is gaming. Sales are sales. Consumers are consumers.

It will continue to grow, but it will continue to grow at a slower pace.

On the first point, if you're looking at such a broad picture then yes you are correct; in a capitalist economy anybody selling anything is technically a competitor. On the second point, I don't follow your logic... Microsoft and Sony both stated that their respective consoles have sold faster than their respective last generation consoles... Sold faster.... Sold faster... I don't know about you but faster sales TYPICALLY mean quicker growth. Now, of course that's not to say that they're growing faster than ever, it just signifies that they're growing quicker than they were ten years ago BEFORE the smartphone/tablet revolution. So your logic as I said, is difficult to follow.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't follow your logic... Microsoft and Sony both stated that their respective consoles have sold faster than their respective last generation consoles... Sold faster.... Sold faster... I don't know about you but faster sales TYPICALLY mean quicker growth. Now, of course that's not to say that they're growing faster than ever, it just signifies that they're growing quicker than they were ten years ago BEFORE the smartphone/tablet revolution. So your logic as I said, is difficult to follow.

What I mean is that they are not growing as fast as they otherwise would've had there been no competition in other sectors of the gaming industry (i.e. mobile gaming). Growth is good, especially when it's faster than it used to be. But just because it's growing, and even if it's growing fast, that doesn't mean it couldn't be faster. The growth of console gaming, as fast as it has been, pales in comparison to the growth of mobile gaming. The trend lines are both positive, but if I had a limited amount of money to invest, mobile gaming promises higher returns on that investment.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 - Xbox games on any screen including pcs, tablets and phones. Hollospecs or whatever their called look like a great illumiroom replacement too 😉

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You sound like you think the Xbox being the only real console left for gaming would be a good idea...

Nintendo Wii U just gave you the finger.

Having no competition is never a good thing. But Sony deserves to die: they have ruined gaming for far too long.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
After yesterday's event and the announcements we heard, I saw this thread again today. Now, all I can think of is that the only reason to feel "depressed about Xbox One vs. PS4" is if you actually opted for the PS4. HAHA!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
After yesterday's event and the announcements we heard, I saw this thread again today. Now, all I can think of is that the only reason to feel "depressed about Xbox One vs. PS4" is if you actually opted for the PS4. HAHA!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...
Or a wii! I guess you bought the Xbox One instead of the PS4 then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb