Xbox One vs. PS4

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
In other news... The Order eh? That happened...

Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. For the past 18 months I've had to put up with PS4 fanboys, in response to being presented with the fact that the Xbox One is destroying the PS4 in AAA exclusives, go on an on about how great the Order is going to be. Now it's here and it sucks. I don't get the love for SCEA. In my opinion, their games are mostly overrated and they're development history is completely myopic. They do one thing: they make 3D action/adventure games, which these days are mostly just CG movies with uninspiring gameplay in between cutscenes. In contrast, Microsoft Studios is all over the map, funding games in a smorgasbord of genres. Yet, fanboys online continue to portray it the opposite way, for some weird reason.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. For the past 18 months I've had to put up with PS4 fanboys, in response to being presented with the fact that the Xbox One is destroying the PS4 in AAA exclusives, go on an on about how great the Order is going to be. Now it's here and it sucks. I don't get the love for SCEA. In my opinion, their games are mostly overrated and they're development history is completely myopic. They do one thing: they make 3D action/adventure games, which these days are mostly just CG movies with uninspiring gameplay in between cutscenes. In contrast, Microsoft Studios is all over the map, funding games in a smorgasbord of genres. Yet, fanboys online continue to portray it the opposite way, for some weird reason.

It's amazing, isn't it? Despite all the hype, it was the Xbox One that ended up with the better library of exclusive AAA titles. Not only that, but it even looks like the Xbox One is shaping up to have a good indie development program, it'll need some improvements, but it's getting there. Solid cross-platform titles aside, what reason is there to buy a PS4 over an Xbox One? The PS4 clearly doesn't have a big library of killer games; it doesn't have general multimedia appeal (lacks DLNA, .MKV support, etc); and what it does have (e.g. PlayStation Online and Streaming) can and likely will be replicated by Microsoft in the near future ...

I do think the PS4 has potential. I've been a loyal PlayStation fan for three generations and I know the likes of Namco, Square Enix, Konami, etc, can rock the world with seriously good titles. Unfortunately, these studios dropped the ball in the PS3 era, and I am not all that confident right now that they'll replicate the PS2-era gold in this generation. For starters, it's been over a year since release and we have yet to see a solid IP from any of them. I can't spend $400 (plus tax) on potential.

Even with the Xbox One I waited a year to see whether its library of exclusives will stack up and whether Microsoft would expand the TV integration and OneGuide past the U.S (to include Canada), and on both counts, Microsoft succeeded.

This PS4 hype is utterly toxic IMHO.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Detail looks better on the ps4, Xbox looks like they missed some detailing

If those pictures are accurate, then, no. There are no shadows on the bridge in the PS4 version, and the PS4 version looks totally washed out (this is a common theme across all PS4 vs. Xbox One screenshot comparisons I've seen).

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Really I don't see that
Look closer. There's pieces of detail missing on the Xbox side that are present in the ps4. Microshaft looks like they're taking the easy way of fooling the eyes by just heightening the contrast and shadow to make it look more detailed when it's actually not. A lot of us were commenting about this at the last FanExpo. I can't stand it when some companies use cheese like that to sucker buyers rather than just make the effort to put in the detail.
If those pictures are accurate, then, no. There are no shadows on the bridge in the PS4 version, and the PS4 version looks totally washed out (this is a common theme across all PS4 vs. Xbox One screenshot comparisons I've seen).

It's an old trick, Samsung pulls a similar stunt with the over saturated samoled screens they put on their galaxy phones.
Looks vibrant when in fact it's artificial. That's what you're seeing that makes you think the other is washed out. Places like furniture stores and Bestbuy pull the same crap, the color heat levels are cranked way in the display settings at the store so people go "wow that's so rich!"

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Look closer. There's pieces of detail missing on the Xbox side that are present in the ps4. Microshaft looks like they're taking the easy way of fooling the eyes by just heightening the contrast and shadow to make it look more detailed when it's actually not. A lot of us were commenting about this at the last FanExpo. I can't stand it when some companies use cheese like that to sucker buyers rather than just make the effort to put in the detail.

It's an old trick, Samsung pulls a similar stunt with the over saturated samoled screens they put on their galaxy phones.
Looks vibrant when in fact it's artificial. That's what you're seeing that makes you think the other is washed out. Places like furniture stores and Bestbuy pull the same crap, the color heat levels are cranked way in the display settings at the store so people go "wow that's so rich!"

Missing real time shadows is very bad for me

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
a0d4d60eadfd6d24906c356e4b091183.jpg
Im happy with Thombraider
e2d500cc13328342e8776dd8cdf29bbb.jpg

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_2809247-1424111574-6.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_2809247-1424111574-6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_2809261-1424111573-2.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_2809261-1424111573-2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 6

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Missing real time shadows is very bad for me

Here's what I mean. Detail missing, MS cheesing out with saturating contrast and shadow to BS people into thinking they're getting a better image. I take zero credit for noticing this, I've seen it reported tons of times. The people who are posting these comparison shots know F-all about graphics. (Not you, I mean the ones who are originally sourcing these "comparison" shots). My circles are the ones in yellow

188469_900.jpg
188185_900.jpg
10847196_753681214728341_9061475821691496269_o.jpg
10974688_753678054728657_1939849994915227539_o.jpg

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I mean. Detail missing, MS cheesing out with saturating contrast and shadow to BS people into thinking they're getting a better image. I take zero credit for noticing this, I've seen it reported tons of times. The people who are posting these comparison shots know F-all about graphics. (Not you, I mean the ones who are originally sourcing these "comparison" shots). My circles are the ones in yellow

View attachment 98099
View attachment 98100
View attachment 98101
View attachment 98102
If you move The shadow will mode and you will see the highlighted areas...

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

What exactly are you saying, here? That Microsoft usurped everyone's televisions and replaced the screens with special, "over-saturated" ones? Pretty sure they haven't had access to my television.

Jesting aside, I don't care how it is accomplished, but given the choice between one that is washed out and missing shadows and one that is not, I'd choose the latter--that is, if I cared about graphics at all, which I don't, especially minute details such as these, so I don't even know why I'm having this conversation.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
What exactly are you saying, here? That Microsoft usurped everyone's televisions and replaced the screens with special, "over-saturated" ones? Pretty sure they haven't had access to my television.

Jesting aside, I don't care how it is accomplished, but given the choice between one that is washed out and missing shadows and one that is not, I'd choose the latter--that is, if I cared about graphics at all, which I don't, especially minute details such as these, so I don't even know why I'm having this conversation.

Except it's not washed out. Just like every other smartphone that doesn't oversaturate their display like Samsung does isn't "washed out" or every HDTV that doesn't have the display settings cranked up to unrealistic color representation isn't washed out. But you already said you prefer artificially tweaked appearance to more realistic detail so yes, I agree that's not important to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss