Recomendations for external HDD.

Sean Sabe

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Greetings.

Since june, Xbox One is able to use external storage in exchange of replacing original HDD. That's pretty sweet. Now, I've searched around about some and people talk about Cache and RPM.

Any of you has experienced it, already?

Which one you consider would be the best option?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My guess would be to get an enclosure for a laptop hard drive (2.5 inch drive). Then buy a big 7200rpm hard drive in that size.

That way you avoid a lot of the proprietary BS that goes on in external HD from big manufacturers...

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree..but with the gig size you have to check that out to see if it is compatible. For instance... On the playstation 3 you can only go up to 1TB on the hard drive. But anything bigger the playstation won't register it. Also as ncxcstud said... Make sure its 2.5" to fit inside the slot

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Get one that supports USB3.

I'm not sure what really is the benefit of doing some tinkering instead of just getting a "ready one"?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It's usually cheaper to buy a brand new one of eBay. I bought one for my playstation 3 for ?30 but sony wanted ?80 for their one in store. Same specs.. But as they put the "Sony" logo in the box they thought that would be a reason to bump up the price. Feel sorry for the mums and dads out there who bought it as an Xmas prezzie as they had no knowledge or confidence to buy the exact same one of ebay

Sean Sabe

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I've seen some Seagate and Samsung. Both external, but I'm not sure which one could be the best. Of course, they gotta be USB3.0 othewise would be like working with the internal HDD, as it seems.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Like said above, almost any drive will work AT LONG as it's USB 3.0....

I'm still leaning towards opening the Xbox one after the warranty is up.....A nice 2-3tb internal drive would solve the problem for a VERY long time and no external boxes that can get disconnected by the kids or even the cat...

After looking over the videos on youtube, it's pretty easy to do, just formatting the drive and moving data over is the tricky part but, even that didn't look that bad...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've considered the same route, though I haven't bothered looking at guides since it wouldn't be for another 8 months anyway. I wonder if it's like with the 360, where MS will consider it tampering and attempt to ban folks to who swap drives themselves. Anyway, I figure throw in a bigger HDD, then get a cheap enclosure and turn the internal into an external. It seems like the perfect plan to me.

As for an external recommendation, I'd simply vote Western Digital. Mine just failed me a couple of weeks ago, after 4-4.5 years of use, and that was because I'm an ***** and knocked it off of a shelf. Meanwhile, my dad and cousin are the only ones I've known to have bought Seagate drives (dad got 2 internals, cousin got 1 external), and 1 of the internals failed inside of a year, I think, while my cousin's (admittedly abused) external maybe lasted 2.

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I use Seagate myself. My Seagate drive hooked up to my Xbox one is awesome. But if you want to other good companies that manufacture external hard drives, try western digital, Toshiba, or Samsung. My Seagate is good on my Xbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre