A fast, reliable external drive for Xbox One

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to get an external drive for my XBox One as the internal drive is reaching its limits. First I would like to get some recommendations about what drive to choose. Currently I have found the U32 Shadow drive on Amazon. The problem is it only comes with 1TB of storage. I am looking for something bigger, like 3TB to cover me for a couple years. I am open to any recommendations yet I am looking for a small drive that does not require external power to work.

jargonz

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to get an external drive for my XBox One as the internal drive is reaching its limits. First I would like to get some recommendations about what drive to choose. Currently I have found the U32 Shadow drive on Amazon. The problem is it only comes with 1TB of storage. I am looking for something bigger, like 3TB to cover me for a couple years. I am open to any recommendations yet I am looking for a small drive that does not require external power to work.
As far as I have seen, the largest hard drive capacity that could be powered by one USB 3.0 port is 2 TB. Those are laptop (2.5-inch) hard drives. Desktop (3.5-inch) hard drives use more power than a single USB 3.0 port could supply. I have seen 3-TB and 4-TB USB 3.0 drives that use desktop hard drives. But those use either an external power adapter or a Y cable that attaches to 2 USB ports. Check out the Seagate external drives.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As far as I have seen, the largest hard drive capacity that could be powered by one USB 3.0 port is 2 TB. Those are laptop (2.5-inch) hard drives. Desktop (3.5-inch) hard drives use more power than a single USB 3.0 port could supply. I have seen 3-TB and 4-TB USB 3.0 drives that use desktop hard drives. But those use either an external power adapter or a Y cable that attaches to 2 USB ports. Check out the Seagate external drives.

Yea, with out power, your options would be very limited, if you can live with a power adapater

2TB would solve most people's problems for a long time, even if you buy every game that comes out....and you should be able to find some models with 1-2tb with out power adapters...

If you trying to get the best deal possible on a external drive, start by watching the deal sites, some really awesome deals come up that you cant pass up....and very dangerous as there are too many good deals...

Sites like
Save with coupons and deals - get cash back today | FatWallet
Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes & Discounts
TechBargains: Best Deals & Coupons on Laptops, Tablets, Computers & Electronics

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Using a 1TB USB 3.0 Toshiba right now, ordered a replacement today...1TB Samsung 840 evo mSATA SSD and USB 3.0 enclosure. Destiny and Minecraft will be going on it when it comes in Friday.

I finish my games fast enough that I don't think I will outgrow 1.5TB for my "current" games. I am using less than 0.5TB now, I have uninstalled a few games already as I have finished them. The only problem will be multiplayer games that I want to play occasionally, and I plan to keep the Toshiba around for those.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Using a 1TB USB 3.0 Toshiba right now, ordered a replacement today...1TB Samsung 840 evo mSATA SSD and USB 3.0 enclosure. Destiny and Minecraft will be going on it when it comes in Friday.

I finish my games fast enough that I don't think I will outgrow 1.5TB for my "current" games. I am using less than 0.5TB now, I have uninstalled a few games already as I have finished them. The only problem will be multiplayer games that I want to play occasionally, and I plan to keep the Toshiba around for those.

Yea, seeing how the Xbox one has been out for ALMOST a year now (8-10 months now) and I have 7-8 games and I'm about 80% with out any external drive(and I play/buy a lot of games). I would think even if you got most games over the next year or so, I think a 1tb drive would work fine for a while....Unless you download all the Xbox Gold free games each month, then it might add up quicker...

I'm still leaning towards skipping an external drive and just opening the xbox one (after the warranty is up of course, a few more months) and installing a 3-4tb drive internally.

If you spend a little time on youtube, the Xbox one comes apart easy and the drive data can be all moved over using some Linux scripts... Pull out old drive, connect to PC, Connect new drive to PC, run a application on Windows, takes about an hour or 2, install *NEW* drive in xbox one, enjoy more space with out any external boxes...

A 4TB drive should last me the life time of the Xbox one, with maybe after 4-5 years needing to remove really old games to make space...and it's not like a desktop computer where the drive is always being used, the Xbox is used on a high week, maybe 10-15 hours a week...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss