Xbox One UI has terrible flow

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm coming from xbox 360 which everything worked as one. This exact thing happened when I went from Win7 to Win8.1. I do love change and there are some good features that come with the updates but usability/productivity went downhill with this whole app instead of programs thing. The apps are way too specific as well. They need to be categorized much like how Outlook handles multiple things at once.

Going from messages to a party to a friends list is a nuisance because much like Win8 everything is in individual apps this annoys me a lot.
Everything should be unified especially friends party and messages, not in separate apps. This is the exact mess that's in Win8 with the people, calendar, alarm, notes and etc. At least the Messages and friends collaborate with each other a bit but for some reason I can only open Message in that stupid snap screen in xbox.

When I use to press the xbox button in the middle of the controller everything was so unified and I could easily move back and forth.

Now it takes me right to the dashboard and I have to physically look around to find certain apps usually under "My Apps and Games" So, I constantly have to pin everything to my home screen and now it is insanely cluttered.

Bottom Line
Customization, apps need to work with each other (unification) and needs to be more user friendly

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It does need a lot more work mainly because the x360 was running one o/s where as the X1 is running three - 1) Windows for apps 2) Bridge 3) Xbox for games therefore it will take longer to get to that unified state. It is not without it's flaws however like for instance pinned apps or pinned tv shows sometimes don't show up, another is the smartglass app when arranging the pins doesn't reflect the screen correctly.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
It's because the XBOX One was designed to be used fluidly with Kinect. Sure, it's an annoyance to find all those pins and apps on the controller...

Though, it doesn't take much to say, "XBOX go to friends." "Xbox go to messages." "Xbox watch TV"

Also, alternatively - you can double tap the xbox button to bring the snap menu up that makes getting to things like friends and messages even easier.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's because the XBOX One was designed to be used fluidly with Kinect. Sure, it's an annoyance to find all those pins and apps on the controller...

Though, it doesn't take much to say, "XBOX go to friends." "Xbox go to messages." "Xbox watch TV"

Also, alternatively - you can double tap the xbox button to bring the snap menu up that makes getting to things like friends and messages even easier.

The only problem is that often the command's don't register and you often have to really raise your voice for it to pick up the command. The odd thing is some times it will be fine for a few days then it will act up sporadically and heck it even picks up Aaron Paul's commands even if the volume is set to incredibly low like 3 ... I guess I have a faulty unit?? lol.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

a lot of people are getting the black friday deals lke me $300-$350 depending on where you live with no kinect. So, I don't have voice commands.

Try going back and forth between then try it on the 360:
- friends(doesn't notify you when you get friend requests, instead you get followers without knowing about it)
- party chat (buggy)
- message (with no voice).

I personally hate Snap, there is no quick way to minimize Snap or use Snap AND your game at the same time. This is a poor excuse for a perfectly working dashboard.

This system has been out for a year and the OS still isn't even at launch state. Much like Win8 it is utter crap but at least on Win8, I can download ModernMix and Classic Shell to fix it's main annoyances and it's bugless.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
The only problem is that often the command's don't register and you often have to really raise your voice for it to pick up the command. The odd thing is some times it will be fine for a few days then it will act up sporadically and heck it even picks up Aaron Paul's commands even if the volume is set to incredibly low like 3 ... I guess I have a faulty unit?? lol.

There should have been voice mics on the controllers for sure (much like Amazon's Fire TV remote). Then you wouldn't have to yell at it across the room.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon