What's the appeal of Assassin's Creed?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Always thought it seemed... boring... but at the same time I've never played one for enough time to understand it's appeal.

For those who love the series, how would you describe it if you were trying to bring a newcomer into the series?

Also, would I be completely disoriented if I were to just jump into Black Flag or Unity?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The most simple way I can think to describe it is history + open world + parkour. If two out of three of those sounds appealing to you, then you'll probably enjoy it.

As to your second point, I don't think you would be. I started out with 3, then IV (haven't picked up Unity), and I was able to pick it up quickly.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I got sucked into the first AC game because - as a pastor - I loved the setting that that first game took place in. Jerusalem, Damascus - that was awesome for me. I enjoy the story and seeing how they weave AC's story in amongst actual history.

I've loved (Ok, I liked AC3) every game since because of the setting, the story in its weaving through history, and the parkour stuff.

I didn't like Black Flag as much - mostly because the map is too big for me. I'm enjoying Unity immensely as well. Unity with co-op and friends is awesome.

The first 3 games all played off each other as they were direct sequels to one another. Black Flag and Unity are more 'standalone.'

Basically the only premise you need to know is that there are Assassins and Templars. Templars are bad as they want to control the world - Assassins hope to stop the Templars to let the world 'just be' without anyone trying to direct/force the world in one way or another.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Setting and premise matter a lot to me in liking a game. If I enjoy the setting enough, I'll greatly overlook quirks. I loved Too Human (a panned game by almost everyone) because I loved the mix of technology and norse mythology.

I don't really like the Elder Scrolls games - but I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Even though play wise they are very similar games.

I don't like Dragon Age very much - but Mass Effect was/is one of my favorite game series of all time.

I'm not a huge fan of GTA, but I love Assassin's Creed (and even more Red Dead Redemption).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750