Xbox One storage question

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Because my Xbox One is my lads "Home" Xbox all of his games have copied to mine and I am nearing the storage limit, so I will be needing a USB hard drive.

Does it matter if this has it's own electric supply or can it be a portable one being supplied with power from the USB cable?

Also I noticed the setting "When the Xbox is off, turn off storage", if it is externally powered is this like it going into standby like the Xbox One does for the telly etc?

I will probably be getting this one, it's ?59 and mains powered.

SEAGATE Expansion SGR39211 External Hard Drive - 2TB, Black

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't follow how it can turn an external hdd with external power off? Or are you saying only those with USB power?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't follow how it can turn an external hdd with external power off? Or are you saying only those with USB power?

I'm pretty sure it's just for those with no external power. Stops feeding power to that port. Meanwhile other ports that have fe. controller plugged in would still keep charging.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a 750gb USB powered 3.0 drive connected to my Xbox one, I did not notice that setting, I did notice that my HD is on even when the Xbox one is off. I will need to check this setting and enable it. It was what I had sitting around when I tried to install a game but, out of space....When it fills, I will go grab a 5tb drive and call it done.

No need to use life on a drive when it's not in use...

There is no way for the xbox one to shut off the hard drive with external power, unless it can enable a sleep function on the HD but, Not sure it can even do that.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just finished adding my new WD 2TB external hard drive with mains power, I like the way the Xbox One seamlessly adds it to your storage, but would prefer a "Move all" option rather than moving one game at a time option.

The setting is in Settings/Power and Startup "When Xbox is off, turn off storage".

On mine when you shut down the Xbox the LED on the hard drive goes from solid on to slow flashes, so I am assuming the drive has stopped spinning but obviously still connected to the power so wants some form of different indication.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Footnote:

Just turned that power off storage to OFF, as for me it slows down the whole power off function for my TV and receiver and I am back to normal :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes